viking cancellations

petrous

2 minutes ago, Dukefan said:

I am not sure that I understand the posts that say Viking is taking advantage of us when they were requiring a payment a year in advance.  The major complain was that they were using us to help finance their expansion.

Well the facts are:

1) Viking like every other cruise line is in business to make money.

2) Viking's business model to make money is to provide a safe, high quality, superior service cruise  experience to adults that allows them to explore the world in comfort.

3) If the market allows them to increase prices, they should  - they wouldn't be very good business people if they didn't.

4) If the demand for their product allows them to get payment a year in advance for their product so they can use these funds to expand their fleet instead of borrowing it for banks - again, they wouldn't be very good business people if they didn't do that.

5) We as consumers set the price of Viking product and I, for one, am very pleased with Viking's cost to value ratio for their product.

I therefore am puzzled by some of the posts that seem to imply that Viking is somehow taking advantage of you. Viking owes you nothing.   You each determine what your own personal price to value ratio is and probably act accordingly.  Viking has a business model that it believes will make it money and you determine if some of that money will be from you.   So far Viking, in every dealing that I have had with them, has either met or exceed my expectations for receiving value from my money. As long as this continues they will continue to earn my business.

Totally agree. Holding my money a little longer is a small sacrifice for the quality and value provided by Viking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Totally agree. Holding my money a little longer is a small sacrifice for the quality and value provided by Viking.

Absolutely agree.  Given how low interest rates are for short term liquid funds, it is a tiny amount of money in the scheme of things.  

My thoughts as well. One thing that provides me some cheer during these days is that maybe, hopefully, I will be on board the Viking Jupiter the end of October. I don't know if it will turn out that way, but I trust that Viking will do everything that is under their control to make that happen. It will be a very happy reunion if it takes place.

Good luck to all.

27 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

My thoughts as well. One thing that provides me some cheer during these days is that maybe, hopefully, I will be on board the Viking Jupiter the end of October. I don't know if it will turn out that way, but I trust that Viking will do everything that is under their control to make that happen. It will be a very happy reunion if it takes place.

Good luck to all.

I agree - we have a Rhine River embarking November 1 and also trust Viking will do their best to make it happen safely.

Well I've done it. With a heavy heart I've cancelled our Alaska cruise with 7 day pre extension trip booked for July. The final amount was due in May. The decision to cancel by Viking was not to be until June. I wasn't willing to pay the full amount in the hope that it would, somehow, be OK and risk potentially losing a lot more money. 

As Viking hadn't cancelled yet I couldn't have my deposit back but was offered a FCV valid for 24 months which was fine as we certainly want to sail on Viking again.

I'm sorry that you won't be enjoying Canada this summer, as it was sort of me who persuaded you to the merits of the coach, another year perhaps.

I am in a similar dilemma, although I have slightly longer to decide. We are due on the Eastern Seaboard Explorer in September, finishing in New York. I have severe doubts that they will be clear of Covid 19 by then. For the time being I will my nerve and hope but.......! 

Just curious how difficult was it to contact Viking?

1 hour ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Well I've done it. With a heavy heart I've cancelled our Alaska cruise with 7 day pre extension trip booked for July. The final amount was due in May. The decision to cancel by Viking was not to be until June. I wasn't willing to pay the full amount in the hope that it would, somehow, be OK and risk potentially losing a lot more money. 

As Viking hadn't cancelled yet I couldn't have my deposit back but was offered a FCV valid for 24 months which was fine as we certainly want to sail on Viking again.

Please don't worry Old Biddy. We had a lovely time looking forward to it and we might get there yet. 

I just phoned using the number on our booking form and pressed the relevant choice of department when offered. I discussed the situation with the nice woman who answered and she asked me to confirm by email to the address she gave me. I hope to receive formal confirmation soon. 

We'll be happy to rebook when we can but probably not as far in advance again! 

We are cancelling our "undiscoverd china" for October because we do not want to pay "in full" this week.  Perhaps by October China may be the safest place to travel and we will re-book...maybe at even a discount amount!  Positive thoughts!

1 hour ago, deec said:

We are cancelling our "undiscoverd china" for October because we do not want to pay "in full" this week.  Perhaps by October China may be the safest place to travel and we will re-book...maybe at even a discount amount!  Positive thoughts!

Sorry to hear that, Dee. It's so hard to know what to do. I'm hoping that by June things will be clearer. I could still get my money back then.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, JerryInIL said:

Are those of you with March/April cancellations, receiving your refunds within 3 weeks?

Our April 6 cruise was cancelled and we elected to get a future cruise credit which we received on April 7.

On 4/10/2020 at 7:42 AM, Peregrina651 said:

They are saying 21 business days, which is four calendar weeks.

We cancelled our October Mediterranean Odyssey cruise last week. We had been planning this trip for almost a year, had paid in full, and the decision was difficult. However in these very uncertain times, we felt it prudent to ask for a full refund. Cancellation docs were emailed within minutes, and all of the money we paid to Viking was refunded to our AMEX within 48 hours, except for the trip insurance we purchased through Viking, for which we are supposed to receive a $1630 FCC. The process was simple and the service was exemplary. If Viking survives this scourge, we will book with them again. Just my opinion, but I simply don't see any cruise ships sailing until well into 2021. How many cruise lines will survive is anyone's guess, but the industry will certainly look dramatically different when all is said and done.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:18 AM, Nippy Sweetie said:

Hi Nippy,  We're in a similar position to you - July cruise, with balance due soon.  Did they actually tell you that the decision wouldn't be made until June?  I was rather hoping that it wouldn't be quite so 'last-minute' as that!  We're not keen to take a FCV as we already have two more Viking cruises booked (December2020 5 weeks, and May 2021 3 weeks) and are also concerned that over 70s will be advised not to cruise, and travel insurance might be difficult to obtain.  Someone also told be that ABTA may not cover vouchers - have you heard anything about that?    [sorry folks, that's appropriate only for UK cruisers} 

10 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Hi Nippy,  We're in a similar position to you - July cruise, with balance due soon.  Did they actually tell you that the decision wouldn't be made until June?  I was rather hoping that it wouldn't be quite so 'last-minute' as that!  We're not keen to take a FCV as we already have two more Viking cruises booked (December2020 5 weeks, and May 2021 3 weeks) and are also concerned that over 70s will be advised not to cruise, and travel insurance might be difficult to obtain.  Someone also told be that ABTA may not cover vouchers - have you heard anything about that?    [sorry folks, that's appropriate only for UK cruisers} 

Hi jammy. Yes that's what the lady said. I'm not keen to have to pay in full first then hope to have it refunded. I'd rather just have my deposit turned into a FCV. Although we were really looking forward to the pre cruise trip and cruise to Alaska, even if it did go ahead we're not keen to be out of UK while this virus seems to be rampant and we hear such scary numbers coming from US. 

It's all awful! 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 9:42 AM, Peregrina651 said:

They are saying 21 business days, which is four calendar weeks.

I just spoke with 1 of their agents, and he suggested 45 days to receive a refund. Its taking about 21 days to process the refund requests, and then longer to actually process the refund.

1 hour ago, clojacks said:

I just spoke with 1 of their agents, and he suggested 45 days to receive a refund. Its taking about 21 days to process the refund requests, and then longer to actually process the refund.

Today I called to transfer our October cruise deposit to a different itinerary in April of next year. The agent was helpful and the process was painless. I did ask at the end if there was any information in my file about whether our refund from the canceled river cruise, that we should be enjoying right now, has been processed.  He indicated that the accounting department  was (obviously) swamped, and the 21 business day time frame was taking longer. Your information is more specific, and I will be patient. It's a whole new world right now. 

• Thanks 1

I have been trying to reach our Viking Representative, Hollis and he has not returned my two calls. We are to leave on the Homelands Cruise on September 6th from Stockholm.  Our cutoff date to get 100% back is May 9th.Trying to decide if we should canceled rebook next year when things are more defined.  We did not book our airfare with Viking so trying to decide what United and British Airways will do if we cancel or cruise.  We do have insurance but not cancel for any reason insurance.  Any suggestions or information you may have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Has anyone been able to have airfare covered by insurance if Viking canceled cruise?  How about if you cancel cruise?  We have two independent airfares with insurance but NOT cancel for any reason?  Too soon to see what airline Delta will do since one is in June and the other October.

44 minutes ago, deec said:

Has anyone been able to have airfare covered by insurance if Viking canceled cruise?  How about if you cancel cruise?  We have two independent airfares with insurance but NOT cancel for any reason?  Too soon to see what airline Delta will do since one is in June and the other October.

Delta has been great! They usually make schedule changes on Saturdays and have been cancelling flights 6 weeks or so out.  You can search on their web site - look for Flight Status. If your flight is not listed that means it has been cancelled.

Last Saturday, April 11, 2020 Delta cancelled my flight from BOS to DUB scheduled for May 26, 2020. I called and the agent confirmed that the flight had been cancelled and offered a vouchers. I asked for a refund and he processed the refund which was credited to my credit card on April 15, 2020. Can't ask for more than that.

Compare Delta to Lufthansa. Lufthansa canceled a flight by sending an email offering a credit that must be booked by August 31, 2020 and must be used by December 31, 2020. I called and requested a refund. I was told and also received an email that says, "OK we'll issue a refund but our Refund Department has been laid off so we'll process that when they return but we don't know when that will be". I've started a dispute with the credit card company in that case.

Edited by Alturia

17 minutes ago, Alturia said:

Delta has been great! They usually make schedule changes on Saturdays and have been cancelling flights 6 weeks or so out.  You can search on their web site - look for Flight Status. If your flight is not listed that means it has been cancelled.

Last Saturday, April 11, 2020 Delta cancelled my flight from BOS to DUB scheduled for May 26, 2020. I called and the agent confirmed that the flight had been cancelled and offered a vouchers. I asked for a refund and he processed the refund which was credited to my credit card on April 15, 2020. Can't ask for more than that.

Compare Delta to Lufthansa. Lufthansa canceled a flight by sending an email offering a credit that must be booked by August 31, 2020 and must be used by December 31, 2020. I called and requested a refund. I was told and also received an email that says, "OK we'll issue a refund but our Refund Department has been laid off so we'll process that when they return but we don't know when that will be". I've started a dispute with the credit card company in that case.

Lufthansa used to be a great airline.  That is worse than pathetic.  I assume that the labor part is valid.  All they'd need to do is something like stating that you are in a queue of indefinite length TBD to get a refund. We'll put you on our email update list to be informed with status issued monthly at the longest.
Even with that I'd go to the credit card company as you're doing.