What would you do?

SuzieQ521

Hello:

We finally had planned our first big family trip (13 of us!), including my 95 year old grandfather, with a June 7th cruise to Alaska. Of course, that's off the table now with the virus...

However, as we all know, HAL has only cancelled cruises through May 14th at this point, even though it's very very doubtful that there will be Alaska cruises prior to July 1st.

Here's the ISSUE: We have until Saturday before our deposit penalty turns into the 50% cancellation penalty (as you can imagine, the deposit alone for 13 people was pretty high). We really PREFER the cash refund, especially given the fact that the couple of elderly passengers in our party may not be able to use FCC in the future.

It does not seem like anyone knows when HAL may cancel the next batch of cruises as they appear to be doing so every 30 days.

SO DO WE:

1) Risk going to the next penalty phase (50%) in the hopes that HAL will cancel our cruise on their own? (Some members of our party purchased HAL's travel insurance and it is my understanding that this is the only way that travel insurance will be refunded). OR

2) Cancel this week so that we at least get refunded all but our Deposit. The PROBLEM with this is that since FCC is tied to each individual passenger, some members of our party who might not be able to go another cruise will lose it.

Of course, there's also the worry that HAL (along with the other lines) may file for bankruptcy and we may not even get our refund or FCC anyways!!!

Thanks all for any input you may have. This was going to be our first family trip and our first HAL cruise so it's been disappointing as we may never get this chance again.

Edited by SuzieQ521

I sympathize with you. We anxiously waited and waited to hear about our March 21 cruise, while HAL cancelled March 15 cruise,  and then cruises in early April. We NEVER received any personal notice about our 3/21 cruise, just the announcement that all cruises were on hold until April 14 (now extended).

I realize the company has  enormous problems with two ships still at sea, but communication has not been good. I'd go for the refund.

1 hour ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Hello:

We finally had planned our first big family trip (13 of us!), including my 95 year old grandfather, with a June 7th cruise to Alaska. Of course, that's off the table now with the virus...

We are booked on the same cruise, and we will wait for HAL to cancel. Now, there are only two of us, so we don't have as much to lose as does your group.

Our thinking is that, unless HAL goes belly-up, we will at least get a full refund, including our non-refundable deposit, if they cancel. I we cancel, we lose the deposit. Best case, HAL will make the same offer they are making to the current batch of cancelees.

4 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

We are booked on the same cruise, and we will wait for HAL to cancel. Now, there are only two of us, so we don't have as much to lose as does your group.

Our thinking is that, unless HAL goes belly-up, we will at least get a full refund, including our non-refundable deposit, if they cancel. I we cancel, we lose the deposit. Best case, HAL will make the same offer they are making to the current batch of cancelees.

Yes I hope they will cancel soon! 

Does anyone know if HAL platinum travel insurance would be refundable if HAL is the one that cancels? It would seem to be that it should or else that would not make sense...

This HAL ship is hitting the news several times a day and apt to continue.

Infected crews on ships, all ship need a deep cleaning

So many reason I doubt any ships can possibly sail until at least Aug or sept. 

I'd ride it out for the refund, option 1

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

This HAL ship is hitting the news several times a day and apt to continue.

Infected crews on ships, all ship need a deep cleaning

So many reason I doubt any ships can possibly sail until at least Aug or sept. 

I'd ride it out for the refund, option 1

There is absolutely no way any ship is sailing this August or September.  The cruise industry will be the very last to get going after a vaccine. A vaccine is at least 18 months away if one can be created.  There is still no vaccine for the common cold so there is no guarantee one can be developed for covid19.  

4 hours ago, Fartlek said:

There is absolutely no way any ship is sailing this August or September.  The cruise industry will be the very last to get going after a vaccine. A vaccine is at least 18 months away if one can be created.  There is still no vaccine for the common cold so there is no guarantee one can be developed for covid19.  

That's what I meant, I said at least, meaning I think much later. 

Thb I'm a little worried about my booking next January.

Idk about until after a vaccine.. if it's that long there wouldnt be a carnival or royal corp as we know it, they will be bankrupt. Hopefully treatments have progressed they can cruise before a vaccine. That's a long time into the future which none of us know with certainty. 

Edited by firefly333

If you have a very trusted travel agent why don't you call and ask for advise.  My agent cancelled my 4/25 cruise just after the 1st announcement which was well past final payment date; then after the cancellation was in effect she rolled all of the money over to a new cruise in Aug.  When I say all it includes the HAL Platinum Ins. premium for myself and the entire amount paid by my travel companion who did not purchase any insurance. Plus the perks of the 4/25 cruise such as prepaid gratuities dine around and the OBC were all transfered.

I'm in the same boat as you 😁, but sailing later in June. I previously put down a deposit of $350/pp when booking. If I cancel before 4/18, I can get all but $99 back (the current deposit amount), but they said it will take 6 months to get the refund. I tried to  move my current booking to one later in the summer, but was told I would forfeit the perks I currently have because HAL has not officially acknowledged that my cruise is impacted, even though it clearly won't happen due to the Canadian ports being closed. Celebrity has already canceled all Alaska cruises through July 1. What is HAL's hold up? I know they won't to hold onto all of the money they can, but not giving a clear picture of future plans makes me want to just ask for all of my money back, except $99, instead of a FCC. They would definitely make more than $99 of me on a future cruise, and they could hold my money longer. I am really confused by their current stance.

2 hours ago, lazey1 said:

If you have a very trusted travel agent why don't you call and ask for advise.  My agent cancelled my 4/25 cruise just after the 1st announcement which was well past final payment date; then after the cancellation was in effect she rolled all of the money over to a new cruise in Aug.  When I say all it includes the HAL Platinum Ins. premium for myself and the entire amount paid by my travel companion who did not purchase any insurance. Plus the perks of the 4/25 cruise such as prepaid gratuities dine around and the OBC were all transfered.

We booked with Costco who will just go by whatever HAL tells them.

Do you know if HAL insurance is refundable if HAL cancels? I would think it should be. Thanks 

Edited by SuzieQ521