Azamara refund problems (merged)

larhode

As others have posted, on May 15th Nils Lindsat, Associate Vice President, Sales & Trade Support, sent an email to travel agents informing them that clients received only a partial refund. He said the remaining funds can be expected to be received by May 31st. This date has passed and I have not received the balance of my refund. Why send out such an email when the terms cannot be fulfilled? At least send out another email with an update. Really shooting themselves in the foot 

• Like 2

We had planned to sail April 5th from Miami to Lisbon on Azamara Pursuit. The cruise was canceled. We requested a refund by phone a week or two before the sailing, from Casey Hubbard originally, again on April 6th with Ryan Ables, and two weeks ago with Nicole, all located at their Wichita call center. All three promised a full refund, at first telling me it would come within 30 days, but last time within 45 days, of our initial request.

The only refund we've received as of this date (May 29, 2020) is for the taxes on the cruise. I've tried calling their customer service number many times in recent days, only to get put on hold endlessly every time, and forced to listen over and over to their incredibly pretentious sales pitch. I've also tried emailing them twice, as their initial voice recording suggests, but I get no response that way.

We are elite cruisers on Celebrity/Azamara. We've been very happy with them until now. I understand that these are difficult times for the cruise lines. But now I'm afraid it's time to switch brands and consult an attorney. 

Edited by schapsie
added date
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

There seem to me to be as many people saying they’ll never cruise with Azamara again as there are on other lines’ boards saying they’ll never cruise with that line again. Very many companies seem to be having very similar problems. All of those people are likely to cruise again with someone. I don’t think Azamara is in a worse position than many other lines.

You said all of those people? I am one of those people and disagree. After 22 cruises on the 3 RCL brands, I will not set foot on any of their cruise ships again. I have read enough comments to conclude that you are wrong and not only will they lose customers but the most loyal ones. Loyalty and the trust in the relationship has been forever broken. Oceania had my deposit back in 48 hours so they will be getting my business.

6 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

There are problems with payment across all 3 RCCL brands. Being a loyal customer hasn't meant refunds come sooner be it RCI, Celebrity or Azamara. I'm Pinnacle on RCI and many other Pinnacle members are experiencing the same frustrations that Azamara cruisers are. It appears the earlier refunds are the ones they've had problems with and sadly. If you read the other boards I think you'll see the same frustrations. It's not just Azamara. 

Loyalty is an understanding between the business and the customer. I expected to be treated better than non-loyal customers. Failing to respect the loyalty causes the relationship to end. Whomever has made these horrible decisions at RCL should be fired. They have caused the company irreparable damage.

Just want to report that we were booked for the March 24th Sydney to Singapore Azamara Journey.  We booked directly with AZ on board last year and we put in our request for the refund officially at the beginning of April and we were paid in full in two payments (Mix up with Canadian dollars) by the end of April so we are very happy with how AZ handled our reimbursement.  We are looking forward to booking AZ when it is safe to  cruise again!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is not cruise line bashing but report of fact based on an email I have had today from Azamara.  

They are saying there is still a bit of a delay on the processing of the Future Cruise Certificates and refunds. (you're not kidding) They are now hesitant to give a time frame only because they were wrong on the last one.

So ignore anything on the website and those of you who were cancelled more recently and expecting a credit certificate or refund in June manage your expectations....

• Like 2

BA have now joined the rest. This week I have tried  numerous times to contact BA re a refund for a flight. All phone numbers are redirected to the one number from where you get cut off after listening to their messages. The is no waiting simply cut off. They do direct you to the website so that you can get a voucher but no refund.

3 hours ago, uktog said:

This is not cruise line bashing but report of fact based on an email I have had today from Azamara.  

They are saying there is still a bit of a delay on the processing of the Future Cruise Certificates and refunds. (you're not kidding) They are now hesitant to give a time frame only because they were wrong on the last one.

So ignore anything on the website and those of you who were cancelled more recently and expecting a credit certificate or refund in June manage your expectations....

Well, nice that they at least checked in with you. I haven’t heard a peep. I have decided not to let it get to me too much though. I am not awaiting a refund, but FCC for a booked cruise, and I’m sure they will show up eventually. 
Betsey 

1 hour ago, Belfastman said:

BA have now joined the rest. This week I have tried  numerous times to contact BA re a refund for a flight. All phone numbers are redirected to the one number from where you get cut off after listening to their messages. The is no waiting simply cut off. They do direct you to the website so that you can get a voucher but no refund.

Try the number I was given: +390269633602. 

I got through in less than 3 minutes yesterday. I suggest that you do this before the US wakes. 

Don't worry about it being an Italian number. The call centre is in Germany, and the first option you are given is to speak to them in English.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

That’s strange I needed to cancel a BA booking today for a refund and got straight through no problem. What number are you using? 

I used 02032500145 and also 0800 740800. Both were cut off after hearing the messages. I also tried today at 9.45am and 12.15pm with same result.

I almost hesitate to post this here - this is for FYI - please don't shoot the messenger, but I thought you would want to know.

Azamara cancelled our June 20 cruise on May 20 and I sent an email to my TA late that night when I saw the news here.

She requested the refund the next day, May 21 and told me to expect a 60-90 day wait.

I don't check my DH's credit cards every day.  I just looked now, and the full refund was posted to his card on May 28.

That being said, I am so sympathetic to all of you who have been frustrated by the Azamara refund "process."    I'm in that situation with United Airlines, so I understand the angst.

If it's any consolation, it's not all sunshine and roses here.   Our fridge died 2 weeks ago, and there is a problem with our new one, so we just have a different place to channel our frustration....

I don't shoot the messenger The Mice, but if Bonnie is still monitoring the boards perhaps she can get us an explanation of why cruise refunds are being handled out of sequence and then even within the same cruise some get their certificates/refunds and others are not.  An explanation might help everyone!!!!

• Like 2

Uktog,   I hear you.   You've been someone I have read and respected on these boards and you definitely deserve better explanations than any you have, or more probably, have not been given.

BTW, we love your city with the friendliest people we've ever met - spent a week there in June 2004 (mostly great weather), and a port day in June 2019, the latter unfortunately in a heavy downpour so we spent it in the National Gallery.    Hope we will visit again in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi The Mice,

We were due to meet on our June 11th and also meet UKTog on June 4th.  Very sad to miss these lovely itineraries.

I know you were credited for the June 11th some time ago.

We have had a refund of our deposit a couple of weeks ago.  Nothing since.

I did email Azamara earlier today more in hope than expectation.  I see that UK tog has posted a UK 0800 number so may give that a try tomorrow.  The refund and FCC process is all a complete mystery

“Making up for lost time” is switching his travels to Oceania as they have treated their customers better than Azamara!    You will find two threads on the Oceania CC site about refunds and how dissatisfied their passengers are because of the major delays.

As a fan of Azamara and some other cruise lines, hope you enjoy your time with Oceania.   You won’t like their refund time frames.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Hi The Mice,

We were due to meet on our June 11th and also meet UKTog on June 4th.  Very sad to miss these lovely itineraries.

I did email Azamara earlier today more in hope than expectation.  I see that UK tog has posted a UK 0800 number so may give that a try tomorrow.  The refund and FCC process is all a complete mystery

That 0800 number was for Belfastman who was trying to get through the BA though maybe they might be better at handling your Azamara refund than is happening for you...... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Hi The Mice,

Hi Mrs Miggins,

Yes, we got our June 11 refund within 4 weeks of the request (made as soon as cruise was cancelled) and we got our June 20 refund one week after the request (also made as soon as cruise was cancelled).

We're moving on to dealing with a problematic new refrigerator  (Ugh!) and United Airlines.   The fun never quits, does it?

I do hope you, and all the others, get some favorable resolution sooner than later.   

Meanwhile, stay well and stay safe!   

5 hours ago, Belfastman said:

Just tried this number and exactly the same as I got on the two numbers I tried previously.

Perhaps you did not see my post, so I repeat it in the hope that it may help:

Try the number I was given: +390269633602

I got through in less than 3 minutes yesterday. I suggest that you do this before the US wakes. 

Don't worry about it being an Italian number. The call centre is in Germany, and the first option you are given is to speak to them in English.

1 hour ago, uktog said:

That 0800 number was for Belfastman who was trying to get through the BA though maybe they might be better at handling your Azamara refund than is happening for you...... 🙂

Oh OK actually I was really surprised to see an 0800 number.  Just for a moment I thought it was for Azamara - but of course no such thing exists.  Never mind - still hoping for a refund one day.  The Mice has obviously got a TA with a wonderful connection with Azamara.

• Like 1

I have now received a full refund from Azamara. I was booked on the March 28th Dubai to Athens cruise on the Quest.   The Cruise was cancelled on March 13th [a Friday].   My TA requested a refund on March 16th.  I received all but $3,067 several weeks ago.  My travel agent told me that the $3,067 [commission] would be refunded by May 31st.  It was refunded on May 28th. 

I had the same problem with BA as Belfastman.  I would be on hold forever [over an hour] then get disconnected.  I was also redirected to other phone numbers.  The same thing happened with the referral numbers.  "Thank you for calling.  Good bye."   I had paid for a cancelled flight and for seat reservations that were not refunded.  I have disputed those charges with my credit card company.  I have not heard anything from BA.

• Like 1

This morning I got an email from Azamara, I was thankful at last the end was in sight.

No it’s not, despite all the assurances two weeks ago, they’ve still not sorted the IT glitch, the email is all about the OBC balance I have left for my cruise starting on 4 June and how they look forward to welcoming me on board.  Three times they have sent emails like this, one for each of my cancelled cruises.  Each time to date I’m told oh sorry. I won’t bother telling them this time, hollow words would only annoy me more. 

Oh sorry Azamara, three strikes and you are out, except you know that already.  Yes unprecedented times blah blah, but time is still wasted pushing pointless look what we are doing videos rather than switching off parts of IT that rub into the guest they won’t be cruising when instead they should switch on some capacity to process refunds and credit notes. 

As Excited of Harpenden pointed out yesterday we’ve seen heartwarming personal stories of front end crew working hard in their homelands making and selling items to make ends meet, showing initiative, maybe head office could show similar thinking by retraining others who are currently idle and bringing back staff they laid off to sort out this whole communication,  Technology and refund mess. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1