Cruise with No Ports

JER/MPR

Since we are still relatively new cruisers and have only sailed with Viking, I was surprised how much we enjoy a sea day. However, our main interest in traveling is still to see the world, so a cruise with no ports would not be on our agenda. Sincerely hoping (for many reasons) that the worst case scenarios that are suggested do not come to pass, and the future cruises that I keep dreaming of will return in due time. 

A seaday can be nice. It is especially refreshing when you have a port intensive cruise.  However, a whole cruise of only seadays is dreadful.  Staying home in quarantine is starting to be dull.  I am looking forward to eating dinner at a nice restaurant.  My spouse's birthday will be during the quarantine. Thinking curbside takeout from Capital Grill.  

Dreadful?  Come now, that is a bit harsh

Lazy morning having a coffee or three in the Living Room (and maybe a pistachio roll) after walking the promenade enjoying the sea air and waves.  

Then a fun game of trivia followed by either a healthy salad form the World Cafe enjoyed on the Aquavit Terrace or a leisurely lunch with good conversation with fellow guests in The Restaurant. After lunch reading on the balcony and then some time in the Nordic Spa. Or, maybe we have skipped lunch and left room for Afternoon Tea with some delicious scones and clotted cream.  

Of course there is cocktail hour with crabcakes, shrimp and sushi watching the sunset and then dinner-maybe Chef’s Table or if we indulged in Afternoon Tea then probably just a salad after the sushi!

If that is the definition of dreadful then I wish my whole like had some more dread in it!😂

But I’m glad not everyone enjoys a sea day intensive sailing...typically makes the price lower for those of us who really enjoy Viking’s ships! 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 7

On 4/10/2020 at 8:29 PM, Redtravel said:

A seaday can be nice. It is especially refreshing when you have a port intensive cruise.  However, a whole cruise of only seadays is dreadful. 

We departed Darwin on Feb 29th and between there and Gibraltar on April 10th, we had 2 days ashore. While we were disappointed missing the ports and tours we planned, for us, the experience was certainly not dreadful.

While that length of time aboard a Mega Ship might be unpleasant, but on the Viking Sun it was most enjoyable.

• Like 4

Chengkp...I echo the thanks that has already been expressed. I recall well your many posts on the Viking Sky thread, being that I was on that sailing. Most interesting info here on this 'cruise to nowhere' idea. Learned some things I was not aware of. 

Getting back to the focus of the thread, I must say that in my early days of cruising I had little interest in any more than one sea day - being mostly attuned to land travel before I started doing more cruising. As I'm getting older, though, the sea days have more appeal as time to just kick back with a book out on the verandah if I so please, or else just a leisurely day in and around the ship so...while I'd miss at least getting off the ship at least once or twice..if all else is well (would hate the thought of the future of cruising as involving wearing masks), I'd say I'm up for it. Beats not cruising at all. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Dreadful?  Come now, that is a bit harsh

Lazy morning having a coffee or three in the Living Room (and maybe a pistachio roll) after walking the promenade enjoying the sea air and waves.  

Then a fun game of trivia followed by either a healthy salad form the World Cafe enjoyed on the Aquavit Terrace or a leisurely lunch with good conversation with fellow guests in The Restaurant. After lunch reading on the balcony and then some time in the Nordic Spa. Or, maybe we have skipped lunch and left room for Afternoon Tea with some delicious scones and clotted cream.  

Of course there is cocktail hour with crabcakes, shrimp and sushi watching the sunset and then dinner-maybe Chef’s Table or if we indulged in Afternoon Tea then probably just a salad after the sushi!

If that is the definition of dreadful then I wish my whole like had some more dread in it!😂

But I’m glad not everyone enjoys a sea day intensive sailing...typically makes the price lower for those of us who really enjoy Viking’s ships! 

Clay...you talked me into it. You know, Viking could use a good portion of your post as great advertising 🙂  Send it to Torstein.....

Edited by OnTheJourney