Hotel Help - Cruise out of New Jersey

LuCruise

We have rebooked our cancelled Anthem cruise for December which leaves out of New Jersey.  Coming with two kids who will be 15 and 11 for that cruise. 

Things are up in the air now, but I thought we should book a hotel to ensure we have a spot to stay for the night if our cruise is a go.  Last time we had Embassy Suites booked, but it is all sold out.  As a note, we will not have a car and prefer a place that includes breakfast.  Not sure yet if we would arrive early afternoon or say evening where we just need a place to stay.  We don't plan on doing any touring in NYC.  Looking for feedback on the following. 

Hotels new Jersey Mall (seem to have restaurants and shops near by)

• Extended Stay America Elizabeth (Newark Airport)
  • Country Inn and Suites Newark Airport
  • Residence Inn by Marriott Newark Airport

Looks like there are restaurants 10-21 min walk ? (but won't want to walk far if its very cold / icy in Dec)

• Hampton Inn Newark Airport
  • Hilton Newark Airport
  • Crown Plaza Newark Airport

Looks like nothing in walking distance but nice room

• Best Western Plus Newark Airport

Thoughts on any of the above?  Residence Inn and Country Inn are the top of our budget, but we would book if they are worth it over the others.  (I know it would help if we knew when arriving but we won't be booking airline at this point).

Note that my comments of "looks like" is what I see on goggle maps, but let me know if the above is incorrect.  Thanks!

Edited by LuCruise

17 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We have rebooked our cancelled Anthem cruise for December which leaves out of New Jersey.  Coming with two kids who will be 15 and 11 for that cruise. 

Things are up in the air now, but I thought we should book a hotel to ensure we have a spot to stay for the night if our cruise is a go.  Last time we had Embassy Suites booked, but it is all sold out.  As a note, we will not have a car and prefer a place that includes breakfast.  Not sure yet if we would arrive early afternoon or say evening where we just need a place to stay.  We don't plan on doing any touring in NYC.  Looking for feedback on the following. 

Hotels new Jersey Mall (seem to have restaurants and shops near by)

• Extended Stay America Elizabeth (Newark Airport)
  • Country Inn and Suites Newark Airport
  • Residence Inn by Marriott Newark Airport

Looks like there are restaurants 10-21 min walk ? (but won't want to walk far if its very cold / icy in Dec)

• Hampton Inn Newark Airport
  • Hilton Newark Airport
  • Crown Plaza Newark Airport

Looks like nothing in walking distance but nice room

• Best Western Plus Newark Airport

Thoughts on any of the above?  Residence Inn and Country Inn are the top of our budget, but we would book if they are worth it over the others.  (I know it would help if we knew when arriving but we won't be booking airline at this point).

Note that my comments of "looks like" is what I see on goggle maps, but let me know if the above is incorrect.  Thanks!

You really don’t want to plan to walk 10-20 minutes around Newark airport to any restaurant, so I’d scratch Hampton Inn, Hilton, and Crowne Plaza.

For free breakfast add Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites - restaurant is next door at Courtyard Newark.

For access to the mall and restaurants consider Courtyard Elizabeth and eat breakfast at IHOP across the street.  Dinner choices are Ruby Tuesday’s, Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, and the Mall food court.  There has been no feedback about staying at Extended Stay except for booking a day room.

Good chance Embassy Suites isn't sold out but just isn't taking reservations for COVID related reasons.  If that's still your first choice, keep checking it when things start looking better to see if it opens up

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 138east said:

You really don’t want to plan to walk 10-20 minutes around Newark airport to any restaurant, so I’d scratch Hampton Inn, Hilton, and Crowne Plaza.

For free breakfast add Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites - restaurant is next door at Courtyard Newark.

For access to the mall and restaurants consider Courtyard Elizabeth and eat breakfast at IHOP across the street.  Dinner choices are Ruby Tuesday’s, Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, and the Mall food court.  There has been no feedback about staying at Extended Stay except for booking a day room.

Thanks for the reply.  

By Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites....I assume do you mean the one at 318-50 US Highway 1 & 9?  It's next to the airport and surrounded by highways?  It has an indoor pool so that would keep our kids busy for a bit and if it has food options at the hotel (dinner too), then it's an option.  Price is right.

Thanks. Will also mark Courtyard Elizabeth (the Marriot).

Edited by LuCruise

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Good chance Embassy Suites isn't sold out but just isn't taking reservations for COVID related reasons.  If that's still your first choice, keep checking it when things start looking better to see if it opens up

Thanks. Yes this is possible.  Will keep an eye on it too.

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the reply.  

By Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites....I assume do you mean the one at 318-50 US Highway 1 & 9?  It's next to the airport and surrounded by highways?  It has an indoor pool so that would keep our kids busy for a bit and if it has food options at the hotel (dinner too), then it's an option.  Price is right.

Thanks. Will also mark Courtyard Elizabeth (the Marriot).

Yes - that’s the Fairfield Inn.  It is 2 buildings from the Courtyard Newark, which does have food service for dinner.  Another property with a nice pool and full food service (no free breakfast) is the Hilton Doubletree, which was refurbished last year.

Google Earth is a great tool to bring up pictures of these properties to see how close together some of them are.  You can also get a feel for the area around any airport hotel to understand why we don’t recommend walking anywhere for some of the hotel properties.

20 hours ago, 138east said:

Yes - that’s the Fairfield Inn.  It is 2 buildings from the Courtyard Newark, which does have food service for dinner.  Another property with a nice pool and full food service (no free breakfast) is the Hilton Doubletree, which was refurbished last year.

Google Earth is a great tool to bring up pictures of these properties to see how close together some of them are.  You can also get a feel for the area around any airport hotel to understand why we don’t recommend walking anywhere for some of the hotel properties.

Hi Carol,

We've sailed together a few times and hope to see you again some time.  I'd like to pick your brain about a specific cabin you had on one of our sailings.  Can you please email me at doulamom4mom at yahoo dot com.  Thanks

Joan

On 4/6/2020 at 1:49 PM, 138east said:

Thanks!  For Hilton, I'm assuming you mean the one on Frontage Road (and not Hilton Newark on Spring ST)?  IT looks nice too.  Also isolated, but if there is a pool and restaurant (as with Fairfield), then it would be fine for one day.  Appreciate the suggestions.

Will look at Google Earth. I sometimes use the "person drop" on google maps to get an idea as well.

Yes, that is the Doubletree.  I was actually in the hotel and one of the rooms last summer and the hotel, while indeed isolated, was nicer than I imagined.  The room was nicely redone and the lobby/restaurant/lounge area looked appealing.

My friend stayed there and was happy.  Again, there is NOTHING around.  If you think you MIGHT want to be by 'stuff', stick with the Courtyard or Residence Inn Newark/Elizabeth, or the Embassy Suites.  Those are all adjacent to each other, and as Carol mentioned, they're close to food and an outlet mall.  The Country Inn there is OK...but it's been under renovation for years and literally has (or had) the WORLD'S SLOWEST elevators.  I haven't stayed there in years due to the lousy elevators and I prefer some other hotels.

No one I know has ever stayed at the Extended Stay America. I've stayed in a couple over the years and they're really basic.  

Oh, and there is a new Home2Suites by Hilton that is near the SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn and other Courtyard.  Let me see if I can find my pix from February.  I stayed at the Courtyard that is by the FFI and SHS back in November and it was surprisingly nice.  

Edited by megr1125

You just have to keep in mind that all these airport hotels are just that - airport hotels, not vacation destinations.  The airport itself is an isolated enclave almost completely surrounded by railroad tracks, water, and highways - no residential areas with services nearby.  The only commercial stuff is at Jersey Gardens Mall.  Overall it’s a highly industrialized urban area.

Thank you both.  Appreciate the help!  Yes, we realize that they are airport hotels.  If we were coming in earlier than one day before the cruise, then we would consider staying in NYC (love it there), but we really just need a place to sleep, grab a meal or two, depending on when we arrive.  And if we have the day, some way to spend the time so our kids aren't completely bored, whether swimming or browsing a mall is fine. Then again, they are happy with a tv...lol.

You've given some great options for near the airport.  Without a car, we would just want somewhere to grab a bite.

We now have some good options if we want to be near the mall...and other options, a bit less money, if that isn't required.

Thanks!

P.S. - I've also added Home2Suites to my options, similar area to the others.

Edited by LuCruise

On 4/6/2020 at 5:23 AM, 138east said:

For access to the mall and restaurants consider Courtyard Elizabeth and eat breakfast at IHOP across the street.  Dinner choices are Ruby Tuesday’s, Applebee’s, Johnny Rockets, and the Mall food court.  

That’s a decent IHOP, even for other meals, but that Ruby Tuesday’s is horrible. 

• Like 1