Age 70+ cruising

kenphy

Yes, we have a cruise to Alaska booked at the end of July (we are on that roll call) but we are wondering if anyone has any information on what HAL is  intending for the over 70 cruisers.  We are 72 and 73, and are in really good shape (husband has an autoimmune disease which has been in remission for over 10 years, and thanks to fantastic medicine, he should remain that way) but we keep hearing that when this is over, us 70 + people won't be able to cruise.

Of course, there are other issues as well (besides the obvious one on the progress of Coronavirus):

1.  Will HAL be cruising?

2.  Will Vancouver cruise port be open?

3.  Will flights be happening?

4.  Will Alaska be open?

But our deposit in due in three weeks and one day, so lots to think about!

Any comments would be appreciated.  Thank you

Ken and Phyllis in SC

We are over 70 and still have reservations on HAL.  We received this as part of an email from CEO regarding our bookings.

"We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date."

For what it's worth.......not sure how much FCC $

3 minutes ago, semibeater said:

We are over 70 and still have reservations on HAL.  We received this as part of an email from CEO regarding our bookings.

"We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date."

For what it's worth.......not sure how much FCC $

If they are offering a FCC does that mean that eventually they will waive the required doctors letter; especially since they have been made aware of your age and medical issues or will you still need the physicians letter?  I don't think many physicians would be inclined to sign such a letter.  I have FCC with HAL but am 72 with well controlled diabetes - my numbers are in the excellent category, and during my recent physical my MD said there is no reason why I shouldn't live another 20 years!   If I choose not to approach my physician in the future to have him sign a letter I would hope to have my FCC reimbursed and my cruising days will be over.  Just another situation that we will just have to wait and see what happens!

For further clarification I am posting entire letter.  I'm assuming that it's for people keeping and not cancelling booking.

I want to personally thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your upcoming cruise. These continue to be unpredictable times, but please be assured that Holland America Line takes the health and safety of our guests and crew very seriously.

To protect the health and safety of all on board, we are closely monitoring the evolving situation. Holland America Line has deep partnerships with the global health experts from the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and together, we have developed enhanced screening, prevention and control procedures for our ships to keep guests and crew safe. You can learn more about our enhanced pre-boarding and onboard health protocols, along with other important information here.

Nevertheless, we understand our guests have questions about their upcoming vacation plans. In order to give guests greater peace of mind, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020.

For guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between now and July 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your booking. There is no need to call us.

Guests with existing bookings on sailings between now and July 31, 2020, who decide to change their vacation plans, can now cancel their booking up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the cancellation fees assessed, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum)

• Future Cruise Credit can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be applied to a new booking by Dec. 31, 2020.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.
  • If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Please consult with your Travel Advisor or Tour Operator for more information.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

I continue to believe that travel has the power to change us and our world. For 147 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising and weathered many storms. We look forward to introducing guests to new places, people and cultures for years to come.

Orlando Ashford

32 minutes ago, kenphy said:

Yes, we have a cruise to Alaska booked at the end of July (we are on that roll call) but we are wondering if anyone has any information on what HAL is  intending for the over 70 cruisers.  We are 72 and 73, and are in really good shape (husband has an autoimmune disease which has been in remission for over 10 years, and thanks to fantastic medicine, he should remain that way) but we keep hearing that when this is over, us 70 + people won't be able to cruise.

Of course, there are other issues as well (besides the obvious one on the progress of Coronavirus):

1.  Will HAL be cruising?

2.  Will Vancouver cruise port be open?

3.  Will flights be happening?

4.  Will Alaska be open?

Ken and Phyllis in SC

You ask pertinent questions.  Based on right now, I can't imagine any cruise line being able to deal with the logistics of cruising with pax.  Even in four months, how cruise lines could sail and ensure no pax or crew had been in contact with the virus would seem impossible and therefore, what line would want to take the chance of being the next Diamond Princess.

How it all plays out on a week to week basis is the determinant. If you can book one of the promos with a guarantee, that might work for you. I would say all bets are off.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, kenphy said:

Yes, we have a cruise to Alaska booked at the end of July 

Ken and Phyllis in SC

Hi Ken & Phyllis!

I assume deposit means final payment...

If so, if I were you, I would cancel and get your deposit back.  You can continue to plan for the cruise (but not make any deposits or non-cancelable plans) and if things go extremely well and the ship is actually sailing by July, you can always rebook (at what will likely be a lower cost).

Being over 70 and not knowing what the future holds with that crazy letter, you don't want to pay only to end up with FCC that you may never be able to use!

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

I am 78 and have COPD. I have 2 future cruises booked as I don't believe that my cruising days are over. I agree with GailEllen that not many, if any, physicians would sign a letter stating I was fit to cruise At This Time. When this pandemic has been conquered there will be plenty of time for cruising.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, semibeater said:

For further clarification I am posting entire letter.  I'm assuming that it's for people keeping and not cancelling booking.

I want to personally thank you for choosing Holland America Line for your upcoming cruise. These continue to be unpredictable times, but please be assured that Holland America Line takes the health and safety of our guests and crew very seriously.

To protect the health and safety of all on board, we are closely monitoring the evolving situation. Holland America Line has deep partnerships with the global health experts from the World Health Organization and U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and together, we have developed enhanced screening, prevention and control procedures for our ships to keep guests and crew safe. You can learn more about our enhanced pre-boarding and onboard health protocols, along with other important information here.

Nevertheless, we understand our guests have questions about their upcoming vacation plans. In order to give guests greater peace of mind, Holland America Line is extending our Short Term Cancel Policy for cruises or Alaska Land+Sea Journeys departing through July 31, 2020.

For guests who choose to keep their booking as currently scheduled for departures between now and July 31 will receive the following Onboard Credit (OBC) amounts:

• $100 per stateroom ($50 per person) for 6-day cruises (or fewer)
  • $200 per stateroom ($100 per person) for 7-day and longer cruises

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your booking. There is no need to call us.

Guests with existing bookings on sailings between now and July 31, 2020, who decide to change their vacation plans, can now cancel their booking up to 48 hours prior to sailing and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of the cancellation fees assessed, less the cost of Cancellation Protection Plan (Standard or Platinum)

• Future Cruise Credit can be used for another cruise in 2020 or 2021. The FCC must be applied to a new booking by Dec. 31, 2020.
  • FCCs are nonrefundable, non-transferrable and do not have to be used on the same destination that was cancelled.
  • If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Please consult with your Travel Advisor or Tour Operator for more information.

We also know that there are people with specific individual health situations that impact their ability to safely travel during these times. For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. This offer is available for guests booked on any sailing, regardless of departure date.

I continue to believe that travel has the power to change us and our world. For 147 years, Holland America Line has been a recognized leader in cruising and weathered many storms. We look forward to introducing guests to new places, people and cultures for years to come.

Orlando Ashford

What is the date on this, please?

41 minutes ago, kenphy said:

what HAL is  intending for the over 70 cruisers

41 minutes ago, kenphy said:

but we keep hearing that when this is over, us 70 + people won't be able to cruise.

That is HAL's demographic and it will not change overnight.

We keep hearing lots of things but until you see it on the HAL website, there is no need to worry.  There was talk of a medical waiver letter for over 70's, but that is not current policy.

• Like 1

Celebrity cruises has a medical form to be filled out by your physician for those over 70 that states you are able to sail with no pre-existing conditions that may be a problem cruising

Sorry, I did mean final payment (not deposit) but our deposit was only the $100 each that we did onboard our last cruise.  

So, April 28 final payment is the big day we have to decide on all these issues (or, hopefully, all will be decided for us)

Thanks to all for these prompt, thoughtful responses.  We did get the letter from the CEO, and we would become 4 star mariners on the second day of this Alaskan cruise.

Any comments will continue to be APPRECIATED!

If it were me, I would cancel immediately and try to get my deposit back. In my opinion, if you pay for the cruise and it is cancelled by HAL, it will still be months before you get your money back....if ever.

Not only is HAL's future precarious, the the entire Alaska season is likely lost.

I would not give any cruise line any money for many months, until this thing shakes out....and it finally will.

(Cruiser since 1965...a long time)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, semibeater said:

I may be missing something but this paragraph describes a "Compassion Policy" for clients who don't fit any of the other categories listed earlier in the email but still wish to cancel a bookied cruise because of personal health challenges presented by the current pandemic. It does not require a doctor's clearance or otherwise restrict over-70 travelers as several of the posters seem to believe.

Jus' sayin'....

Edited by Ka Honu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ka Honu said:

I may be missing something but this paragraph describes a "Compassion Policy" for clients who wish to cancel a cruise because of personal health challenges presented by the current pandemic but don't fit any of the other categories listed in the email.It does not require a doctor's clearance or otherwise restrict over-70 travelers as several of the posters seem to believe.

For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. 

Doesn't that mean that you need to submit medical documentation?

Besides all that, the over-70 restriction is a policy that was put out by the trade group for the cruise industry.  All cruise lines that want to sail from U.S. ports have had to adopt it.  However, enforcement was short-circuited by the industry's shutdown shortly thereafter, so no one knows exactly how this will play out once cruising resumes.

49 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

For those guests who are able to provide supporting documents from their health care provider, Holland America Line will issue them a Future Cruise Credit. For information on submitting a request with documentation under this “Compassion Policy,” please contact your travel advisor or our Reservations Department. 

Besides all that, the over-70 restriction is a policy that was put out by the trade group for the cruise industry.  All cruise lines that want to sail from U.S. ports have had to adopt it.  However, enforcement was short-circuited by the industry's shutdown shortly thereafter, so no one knows exactly how this will play out once cruising resumes.

For those who want to cancel outside the terms mentioned above this paragraph in the letter quoted: they can use the Compassion Policy.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kenphy said:

Sorry, I did mean final payment (not deposit) but our deposit was only the $100 each that we did onboard our last cruise.  

So, April 28 final payment is the big day we have to decide on all these issues (or, hopefully, all will be decided for us)

Thanks to all for these prompt, thoughtful responses.  We did get the letter from the CEO, and we would become 4 star mariners on the second day of this Alaskan cruise.

Any comments will continue to be APPRECIATED!

You could google "Celebrity Fit to Sail Form" and see what you think in respect to your situation.

No one knows if this will be continued, be adopted by HAL or just disappear.   You need to get to 4 star, though!! That is a big consideration :)

Please don't pay any extra money for a cruise, at the end of July, at this unpredictable time.  

Believe me, you'll be able to cruise on any cruise you desire once ships are cruising again and a vaccine has been discovered.

I have always been able to travel with a family of four last minute.  The best example, for 2, was a suite for less than the cost of an inside

cabin we had been considering for a cruise around NZ.  It was Christmas time, so I booked flights in advance, knowing we'd be

happy to do another land holiday in NZ, if the cruise didn't come off.  

7 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Please read what the email says and not what your friends read into it. It does not cover the proposed travel restrictions/requirements for seniors that have not yet been codified and are not being enforced since nobody is cruising. That's a totally different issue which will be sorted out (again) between now and the time the industry resumes operations

It ONLY pertains to cancellations of booked cruises by describing various situations and then adds a "catch-all" health-related Compassion Category that allows you to cancel any currently booked cruise without penalty even though it doesn't fit the other criteria. Cancellations under the Compassion Policy heading are the only thing that require documentation from your health care provider. Easy peasy.

• Like 2