To cancel or not to cancel that is the question

RetiredRich

We are in our 70s and last winter booked a 7 day September 5th  Alaska cruise out of Seattle.  That includes buying $2600 worth of non refundable plane tickets, booking lodging and shuttle service.  So can we really rely on the ports in Seattle being open by then.  Always we hear 2 weeks and all will be well.  But will it all be over by then?  Here in Kentucky our virus cases are   over 1000 and rising.  We must make our final payment in mid May and I don't want to waste more money.  We considered taking that non refundable flight and just driving around in a rented car for a week.  I see on these posts here how so many people are struggling with decisions like this.  I'm thinking we are too old to risk getting that virus and might book again for next year.  Tough times.

We were faced with a similar situation; in fact final payment  coming due next month.  We, too, have air fare paid for and tours booked.  After discussion, we decided to transfer our booking to next year.

Just got off  a cruise last month without an issue .  When we left home for that cruise, all was fine.  But things changed dramatically during our 18 day cruise.  very fortunate we escaped without illness personally or on our ship.  

We, too, are near your age and do not want to risk traveling so soon.  Too many unknowns.  We also did not want to tie up thousands of dollars and potentially have to wait months for a refund.  Transferring the cruise to next year made the most sense for us.  Of course, it is an individual decision.

4 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

Transferring the cruise to next year made the most sense for us.  Of course, it is an individual decision.

It's too late for us to do this....already cancelled. But what is the procedure to transfer a booking? Did you just call HAL or your TA and ask to switch your whole booking to another date; were there any fees involved ? I've never heard of this. 

10 hours ago, PSR said:

It's too late for us to do this....already cancelled. But what is the procedure to transfer a booking? Did you just call HAL or your TA and ask to switch your whole booking to another date; were there any fees involved ? I've never heard of this. 

it was amazingly simple.  Called our big box TA who contacted HAL.  Everything transferred and even got extra perks being offered now, picked our cabin.  No additional fees.  

I was about one month prior to final payment for a 2020 cruise.  I had just returned from a Nile River Cruise and was on 14 day Self-Isolation because of several COVID-19 cases in my state from other folks on a Nile River Cruise.  Frankly, I was in no mood to risk ANYTHING by taking any more trips in 2020.  I contacted my PCC who transferred everything to a 2021 cruise.  I got some additional perks, too.  I feel much better.  (I had not purchased air fare because my favorite air line had not released flights, yet.)

OP:  Everyone needs to make their own decision.  You may want to not make final payment on the cruise, and just adopt a wait and see...  I assume you bought the air separately and not thru flight-ease.

If things get much better, and ships are sailing, chances are excellent you would be able to rebook at a lower fare.  If things don't get better, the airline may cancel the flight allowing you to get a refund.  Or at least, you may be able to cancel your flight closer to the date and get a voucher for future (2021) travel.  Or of course, your other thought for a land trip from Seattle merits consideration.  Lots to see from there - Olympic and Mt. Rainer national parks, the islands, take a ferry to Victoria...

Good luck to you and all of us.  May the summer sunshine at least slow down the virus so we can enjoy our summer!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, westcoastcruiser said:

it was amazingly simple.  Called our big box TA who contacted HAL.  Everything transferred and even got extra perks being offered now, picked our cabin.  No additional fees.  

Thank you...may have to try that for our September cruise, if needed. We don't use a TA though. Might be harder to call HAL about a transfer if they're still doing cancellations. Our final date is June 23rd this year...bet they'll still be in refund mode then. Hopefully they'll extend the final date as they did earlier this year.

Please, please check with your airline.  United just let me redeposit my miles which was for the first leg of my trip in May.  I then paid cash for the return home (it was two separate bookings)....but the return is in June.  They also are non-refundable (according to them, but they are first class tickets so I don't know why they are saying it's non refundable).  Anyway,  I am waiting to get closer to June and perhaps United will allow me to cancel the return portion (flights are out of Vancouver).  I'm sure things will change as we nudge closer and they will waive cancellation penalties....