Cruise Lines Begin Developing Future Protocols

boze9999

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

To add to the subject of this thread, new protocols for future cruising, please look at the new order the CDC issued today (April 9) for cruise ships to remain in US ports/waters.  It is quite demanding of the industry.  Attached is the order, a 9 page PDF, and I cannot do it justice if I tried to summarize it.  It is a must read IMO.

No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships.pdf 107.47 kB · 11 downloads

In page 3, it says "Celebrity Coral Princess", is it a typo?

4 hours ago, npcl said:

This is a response to any hint that cruise lines were going to start up soon, as well as indicating that CDC is fed up with the lack of transparency and cooperation from the cruise lines.

On the contrary, from my time in the cruise industry, and working with inspectors of the USPH/CDC, the impression I always got was that the USPH/CDC was very comfortable and recognized the transparency and cooperation of the cruise lines.  Even in this pandemic, I haven't seen any instances where the cruise lines have not been completely open with the CDC.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaveSJ711 said:

The order does a lot more than "basically just saying."  It makes significant findings about how cruise ship travel exacerbates the global spread of COVID, and how cruise ships in general are or may be infected or contaminated with the virus.  Read page 5.

Good points.

No clear-thinking adult should believe that cruising can ever go back to the old way. Ships will sail, but they'll be fewer and they won't operate with the Wild West approach to regulation that they've gotten away with before.

That's because no nation or port system is going to look at Japan, Australia and the U.S. and think "Sure, let's risk that happening here in the future."

The Diamond, Grand, Coral, Ruby and Zaandam fiascos put huge strain on ports,

police, medical staff and civil authorities all during a pandemic. All because the cruise lines had no plans in place,

no emergency operating agreements with ports along their routes.

instead, each time Carnival's subsidiaries showed up with a crisis and cried HELP.

Would a few desperately, desperately poor countries be willing to risk a replay in the future  Perhaps, but most cruisers don't want to go to those places.

(And they'd still need a decent port to sail from)

COVID-19 has exposed mass-market cruising's weakness: pathetically weak oversight. Sadly for us, fixing this is going to be supremely costly - and ultimately  there's nobody else to pay for it except the passengers. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

On the contrary, from my time in the cruise industry, and working with inspectors of the USPH/CDC, the impression I always got was that the USPH/CDC was very comfortable and recognized the transparency and cooperation of the cruise lines.  Even in this pandemic, I haven't seen any instances where the cruise lines have not been completely open with the CDC.

Darn, I've almost bitten all the way through my tongue on this topic.  All I can say for now is, stay tuned on that one, my friend.  😉

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mkkao924 said:

In page 3, it says "Celebrity Coral Princess", is it a typo?

Yes, that was a typo on their part.    Coral Princess certainly is one of the ships, but obviously she's not a Celebrity ship.  

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Darn, I've almost bitten all the way through my tongue on this topic.  All I can say for now is, stay tuned on that one, my friend.  😉

At least give us a hint. Are they fully cooperating or not?

2 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Well, Paul, I don't have your inside track, but I'm just going by past experience, not anything from this current emergency, but I would think that if there was a problem it would have become public by now.

• 1 month later...

Clearly airlines with Corvid patients on-board were allowed to "port"/land because they would crash otherwise.  Cruise ship illnesses increased in part because so many ports refused to allow them to do likewise & separate the already sick from those who would later become sick.  And passengers are to blame as well.  How many boarded knowing they were not feeling well, but did so because they didn't want to loose their money paid.

• Like 2