Alaskan Cruise Mid-June Deposit Question

bballmomma

Our final payment is due in a couple of days for our cruise from Whittier to Vancouver. We were lucky enough to have our final payment extended from 90 to 60 days so we could see how this situation played out. Obviously we are not going on this cruise that departs June 10th so I will not pay the balance due (cruise and airfare) and our reservation will be canceled. I am wondering about the $550 deposit we paid. Are we just losing that? It would make sense we would, except that this cruise is most assuredly not happening although I doubt that decision will be made before April 11th when our payments are due. I am very grateful not to have made final payment yet and not have to deal with getting that back but I am not excited about being out the deposit given the current circumstances. Anyone have info on how non-refundable deposits work at this point? Thank you.

I think under the Cruise With Confidence program you will not “lose” your deposit, you just won’t get it back in cash. That portion of your refund will be in future cruise credits. If you’re confident the cruise won’t sail you might just want to wait them out (ie play chicken) and get a full cash refund when they cancel. 

• Like 1

At this point, you will be out $550 if you cancel or fail to pay the balance by the due date.

If you make your final payment, you will be subject to whatever policy Princess applies when they cancel the sailing, as they surely will ... with Canadian ports and waters closed to cruiseships thru July 1 at the soonest.

If you make final payment, are you willing to be reimbursed, in part or fully, with FCC you may never be avle to use?

You need to weigh your losses before you cancel or pay.

In my opinion, I believe it is immoral and unethical for Princess to accept any monies for cruises they know they won't sail ... all to enhance their cash flow.

We have a 19-nt sailing in Sept that may or may not sail.  While I have yet to cancel, I have no intention of giving them $12K end-June ... then playing Let's Make A Deal to be made whole.

I cannot really tell you what to do ... but I believe Princess needs to operate in a more reputable manner:  cancel what they know won't operate and stop taki g money for those trips.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for you 

• Like 3

I booked myself and we had the sip n sail package for my DH and I hence the low deposit. I am not going to pay the final payment and will allow them to cancel me but it would be nice to receive the deposit back as FCC. I guess I should just be grateful not to have paid the $8k already.

My understanding is that under their current temporary cancellation policy, whatever you would normally lose as a cancellation fee, you get it as a FCC. So in this case $550. 

Cruise With Confidence Details

Cruises sailing May 11, 2020 through July 31, 2020

• Princess plans to resume Cruise Operations on May 11, 2020
  • Cruise with Confidence is extended to cruises sailing through July 31, 2020 (previously May 31, 2020)
  • On these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 48 hours before sailing (previously 72 hours)
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee.
Edited by lderochi

1 hour ago, lderochi said:

My understanding is that under their current temporary cancellation policy, whatever you would normally lose as a cancellation fee, you get it as a FCC. So in this case $550. 

Cruise With Confidence Details

Cruises sailing May 11, 2020 through July 31, 2020

• Princess plans to resume Cruise Operations on May 11, 2020
  • Cruise with Confidence is extended to cruises sailing through July 31, 2020 (previously May 31, 2020)
  • On these cruises, you can now cancel your vacation up to 48 hours before sailing (previously 72 hours)
  • You will continue to receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for the amount of your cancellation fee.

This ^^^ 

Now, if you don't want to make your final payment (which I would not want to do at this time, either), maybe you can just move your deposit to a cruise that would depart sometime in 2021.  At least there is a chance you won't lose your deposit and hopefully, still use that money on a future cruise.  It may work! 

Looks like this might be a moot point.  The CDC just issued a no sail Order ...

No Sail Order for Cruise Ships

April 9, 2020 Update

On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register. See the attached order (print-only) pdf icon[PDF – 9 pages] for the full requirements.

12 hours ago, lderochi said:

I think under the Cruise With Confidence program you will not “lose” your deposit, you just won’t get it back in cash. That portion of your refund will be in future cruise credits. If you’re confident the cruise won’t sail you might just want to wait them out (ie play chicken) and get a full cash refund when they cancel. 

Is your deposit refundable? Just cancel before final payment and you receive your deposit

on your credit card.

I had to cancel my June 2020 Alaska cruise due to medical reasons prior to the shutting down of the cruise industry in March and my TA contacted Princess and I was able to transfer my booking to 2021 and I didn't lose any of my deposit.  If rebooking is something you would do I'd try that.