Now for something completely different

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Linda, we are fine now. Fortunately we were prescribed anti-virals which shortened our symptom and positve times.

That’s wonderful to hear, Leigh.  I had the same result, thanks to the antivirals 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

That’s wonderful to hear, Leigh.  I had the same result, thanks to the antivirals 

The anti-virals were amazing Linda, they seemed to work almost straight away. My symptoms were slightly worse than Rob's in that I had a horrible cough as well as sore throat, runny nose and ocassional headache. But the cough went fairly quickly. I was negative five days after testing positive. 

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

Good to hear you recovered quickly, Leigh. Those anti-virals are magic! 

However watch out for "rebound Covid" in a couple of weeks. I had a mini set of most of my symptoms over a period of about 36 hours then a day or so of feeling a bit tired. That was about two weeks after I'd recovered from Covid on our cruise last year. After that I was fine. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Good to hear you recovered quickly, Leigh. Those anti-virals are magic! 

However watch out for "rebound Covid" in a couple of weeks. I had a mini set of most of my symptoms over a period of about 36 hours then a day or so of feeling a bit tired. That was about two weeks after I'd recovered from Covid on our cruise last year. After that I was fine. 

Thanks Julie, I will watch out for it.  

• Like 1

Julie has a good point, Leigh.  My symptoms abated within 2-3 days, and I tested negative within the same time frame.  However, within a week I was positive again, and the terrible cough returned, and lasted for almost 3 months.  Research is indicating that although Paxlovid deals the virus a severe blow, a small pocket may remain and cause a resurgence.  Medical researchers are suggesting lowering the dosage, and prescribing for longer than the current 5 days.  My case is probably compromised by the fact that I caught pertussis (whooping cough) a few years ago, resulting in damaged laryngeal nerves.  Any irritation to the throat results in an enduring cough, so there may be no definitive connection to the antivirals.  Anyway, the main thing is that you’re both feeling well again, and that’s good to hear, but as Julie says, be aware.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Julie has a good point, Leigh.  My symptoms abated within 2-3 days, and I tested negative within the same time frame.  However, within a week I was positive again, and the terrible cough returned, and lasted for almost 3 months.  Research is indicating that although Paxlovid deals the virus a severe blow, a small pocket may remain and cause a resurgence.  Medical researchers are suggesting lowering the dosage, and prescribing for longer than the current 5 days.  My case is probably compromised by the fact that I caught pertussis (whooping cough) a few years ago, resulting in damaged laryngeal nerves.  Any irritation to the throat results in an enduring cough, so there may be no definitive connection to the antivirals.  Anyway, the main thing is that you’re both feeling well again, and that’s good to hear, but as Julie says, be aware.

Was it you that warned me to look out for the rebound? It was someone on this forum anyway. So I wasn't too worried when i started to get a mild sore throat again, I just hunkered down at home and waited until it went away. Luckily it didn't linger. Phew! It sounds like you had a really rough time with the rebound. 

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Was it you that warned me to look out for the rebound? It was someone on this forum anyway. So I wasn't too worried when i started to get a mild sore throat again, I just hunkered down at home and waited until it went away. Luckily it didn't linger. Phew! It sounds like you had a really rough time with the rebound. 

I think I may have mentioned it quite a while ago, but can’t remember where.  The lingering cough was simply a tiring annoyance, and my doctor wasn’t concerned after ordering every possible test.  I still recall the immediate relief when the antiviral meds kicked in.  Just bad luck I had rebound, but all was well eventually.  So glad your rebound experience was brief.  

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Linda, we didn't have Paxlovid, we were prescribed Lagevrio capsules. We will keep a watch for rebound covid and hopefully we'll be ok.

• Like 1

Hi Leigh, I'm glad to hear that you have recovered from this bout of covid. I have to admit I haven't heard about this relapse after antiviral treatment. I hope you are fortunate and skip the relapse route.

We are currently having a bit of a heatwave here and of course we have prevailing winds bringing the smoke from the wildfires in the North East of BC as well as the fires in Alberta. We had a very red sunrise this morning just a hazy sky and a bright red disc.

So in an attempt to mitigate the heat I decide to make a peach milkshake, of course there was a liberal pour of peach schnaps to enhance the flavour. Lynn and I both enjoyed this cooling elixir.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hi Leigh, I'm glad to hear that you have recovered from this bout of covid. I have to admit I haven't heard about this relapse after antiviral treatment. I hope you are fortunate and skip the relapse route.

We are currently having a bit of a heatwave here and of course we have prevailing winds bringing the smoke from the wildfires in the North East of BC as well as the fires in Alberta. We had a very red sunrise this morning just a hazy sky and a bright red disc.

So in an attempt to mitigate the heat I decide to make a peach milkshake, of course there was a liberal pour of peach schnaps to enhance the flavour. Lynn and I both enjoyed this cooling elixir.

Yum! 

46 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The milkshake was yummy. I used about a litre of ice cream most of a can of peaches a healthy pour of peach schnaps and enough milk so it would blend.

And I hope you finished it all😂

48 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The milkshake was yummy. I used about a litre of ice cream most of a can of peaches a healthy pour of peach schnaps and enough milk so it would blend.

Yikes, with that much ice cream in it I'd only be able to handle a small amount but it really does sound delish! I'm a single scoop at a time person for ice cream these days. If I have too much I feel queasy.

51 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sounds yummy!  Is peach schnapps alcohol made from peaches?

I took a neighbour back to Poland to meet her elderly relatives.  I explained I didn’t drink Alcohol.  However each family offered me their home brew which was delicious.  They all roared with laughter re me not drinking alcohol!!  Seems it was very strong!

I do drink those sweet little half bottles here.

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hi Leigh, I'm glad to hear thaat you have recovered from this bout of covid. I have to admit I haven't heard about this relapse after antiviral treatment. I hope you are fortunate and skip the relapse route.

Seems too early for a heatwave.  Probably too early for bushfires also.  Sunrise sounds beautiful. 

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Sounds yummy!  Is peach schnapps alcohol made from peaches?

I took a neighbour back to Poland to meet her elderly relatives.  I explained I didn’t drink Alcohol.  However each family offered me their home brew which was delicious.  They all roared with laughter re me not drinking alcohol!!  Seems it was very strong!

I do drink those sweet little half bottles here.

According to this recipe - yep! https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/5226-peach-schnapps

It's easier to just buy a bottle from Dan's. 🤣

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 2:26 PM, Blackduck59 said:

Lyle, sorry for the delay in replying to you, but I didn't see your message. Thank you yes, we have both recovered although it being cold and miserable in Melbourne most of this week, we have had running noses in the mornings. But have both tested negative. I had heard of the rebound covid but didn't realise it was to do with the antivirals.

Your milkshake sounds amazing, although should that be thickshake? We're looking more at hot chocolate here!  I hope the smoke from the fires dissapates soon. We last had smoke from fires in summer of 2020-21 and it was horrible. Last weekend and Monday, we had beautiful, mild sunny days and both sunrise and sunsets were amazing.  This was sunset at our local beach on Monday and no I didn't take the photo. 

May be an image of twilight, horizon and nature

Edited by possum52
  • Like 3

@possum52 I'm glad to hear that you have both recovered.

That is a striking photo. Our local beach faces the wrong way for sunsets but I have taken some outstanding sunrises. We have been fortunate the last couple days with winds coming from the west and Victoria is in a bit of a pocket of mostly clear air. It is the "Victoria Day" weekend in Canada, needless to say there are many things going on here in Victoria. We have the Highland games and Celtic festival, and there is a very large parade on Monday. We are also expecting 12 cruise ship visits over the 3 days, of course some of them are ridiculous, showing up at 1900 or 2000 hrs and leaving at 2359 hrs. Those stops are an insult to our town. I think many of the passengers won't even get off the ship. 

It has been very warm for this time of year. I would prefer something hovering in the low 20s, this 28-34 degree routine is not on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

@possum52 I'm glad to hear that you have both recovered.

That is a striking photo. Our local beach faces the wrong way for sunsets but I have taken some outstanding sunrises. We have been fortunate the last couple days with winds coming from the west and Victoria is in a bit of a pocket of mostly clear air. It is the "Victoria Day" weekend in Canada, needless to say there are many things going on here in Victoria. We have the Highland games and Celtic festival, and there is a very large parade on Monday. We are also expecting 12 cruise ship visits over the 3 days, of course some of them are ridiculous, showing up at 1900 or 2000 hrs and leaving at 2359 hrs. Those stops are an insult to our town. I think many of the passengers won't even get off the ship. 

It has been very warm for this time of year. I would prefer something hovering in the low 20s, this 28-34 degree routine is not on.

Wow that is hot for May on Vancouver island!!

i have never understood the short stops by cruise ships in Victoria!  Americans love it because it is so British, with English souvenirs galore.  Vancouver Island has so much to offer overseas visitors.  We have travelled from the south to north and east to west.  Did I mention I was afraid of bears because two people were killed by bears on the mainland whilst we were there?  Oh no, we were told it is cougars you have to be aware of.  Cougars?  No mention of cougar deaths in Australia.  So we looked at

books in the newsagent.  Found nlots of books on being stalked by cougars. 600-800 cougars live on Vancouver Island.  Our bush walks were curtailed!  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We are also expecting 12 cruise ship visits over the 3 days, of course some of them are ridiculous, showing up at 1900 or 2000 hrs and leaving at 2359 hrs. Those stops are an insult to our town. I think many of the passengers won't even get off the ship. 

Would this be because of the US rule that ships must stop at a foreign port on a itinerary starting and ending in the US ? Perhaps they are trying to keep the itinerary short so are not making a proper port stop, just a token one.

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Would this be because of the US rule that ships must stop at a foreign port on a itinerary starting and ending in the US ? Perhaps they are trying to keep the itinerary short so are not making a proper port stop, just a token one.

That is exactly right Julie. It is a requirement of the US law. That being said they have an opportunity to show their guests a fabulous little port with so many things to see, not just Butchart Gardens. I doubt they are even here long enough to get out to the gardens before they close, and if they do a person would have to run through the garden to see even half of them. It's a big fail. Scratch Ketchikan and spend the day here. Rant over.

It was a beautiful day today and I would guess anyone visiting from out of town on a cruise or by land found plenty to do.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is exactly right Julie. It is a requirement of the US law. That being said they have an opportunity to show their guests a fabulous little port with so many things to see, not just Butchart Gardens. I doubt they are even here long enough to get out to the gardens before they close, and if they do a person would have to run through the garden to see even half of them. It's a big fail. Scratch Ketchikan and spend the day here. Rant over.

It was a beautiful day today and I would guess anyone visiting from out of town on a cruise or by land found plenty to do.

Having been to both ports I know which one I’d rather spend the most time in.

• Like 1