Now for something completely different

9 hours ago, lyndarra said:

@Blackduck59 and OS visitors. Something to keep in mind when driving in Oz.

Penalties for mobile (cell) phone use and not wearing seatbelts. Many roads have cameras which can detect non compliance. Also, fixed and mobile radar speed cameras are everywhere not just in police Highway Patrol cars.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/8681611/aussie-drivers-face-harsher-penalties-from-july-1-crackdowns/?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=

I would add don't hold anything that has the shape of a mobile phone while in the driver's seat. I once picked up something rectangular on the passenger seat while stopped at a light and got a fine for driving with mobile. Luckily it was distinctive enough I could prove it was not a mobile phone and they cancelled the penalty but lesson learnt never touch anything that could be confused with a mobile phone. 

• Like 1

We have mobile phone laws here as well and seatbelts are mandatory in BC and have been for many years. So I think we will be fine with those rules. We still haven't sorted out our phone situation. We will ask our provider if ours are unlocked. Of course we can use them for wifi data but we will need to get an Australian sim card, or more likely just get a prepaid phone or bring one of our old phones and get a local sim card. Whatever we decide it will be put away when we are driving.

• Like 3