3 in 10 cruisers won’t cruise again

Selbourne

18 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Good on him. An honest politician! Given the way that many travel companies are behaving, refusing to give people refunds and insisting on credit notes or deferred bookings (encouraged by ABTA, even though they are now backtracking due to the adverse PR that it has generated) I‘m afraid that I have very little sympathy for them. Great shame for those whose jobs may be at risk, but I am sure that I am not alone in noting which companies deal with the current crisis well and those who consider that they can ignore UK law and use their customers money to shore up their cash flow. Besides, anyone booking a holiday anywhere for this summer surely needs their heads examining. We aren’t going to go from where we are now to normal summer holidays in just a few months. 

The problem is most of us especially those still working have to book our holidays 1 year+ in advance with employers and book cruises compatible with time off work.

We have personally had 2 cruises cancelled this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Grant Shapps (Transport Secretary) on Radio 4's Today programme today (much to the fury of the travel industry):

"On the travel advice – should you book your holidays?  I won't be booking a summer holiday at this point, let's put it that way."

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/coronavirus-grant-shapps-branded-thoughtless-for-admitting-he-will-not-be-booking-a-summer-holiday-during-outbreak

I find it hard to understand why anyone would think that holidays will happen in the Summer this year - but there are some pretty strange people out there....

• Like 2

I have now asked for refund for Canaries trip on Ventura in May and left open my Iona trip in October...just in case.:)

Have given up hoping things would turn around quickly....and dont see a way out of this unless a miraculous vaccine turns up in the next few months....fingers crossed.

I do blow a bit hot and cold about future Cruising....but as we love it so much hope there will come a time soon when we can seriously start looking again...I do however feel prices could increase15 to 20% over and above the already increased prices for next year (my Canaries cruise in Sup de lux cabin  was showing at £500 more for similar time next year a few weeks back) and things like that will put a lot of people off....trouble is most of us love cruising and the itinaries so much I think the Ships would still fill up even at these inflated prices as a big majority of Cruisers are retirees with decent pensions...and P&O know that.

I live in Portsmouth and am hoping to get across to the the Isle of Wight for about 10 days August/September-ish and am worried I might not even get there...we always stay in a little hotel on Shanklin Cliff top very close to Shanklin old village and its always a lovely experience....we always use the local bus service to get around where possible. Quick hop on the hovercraft (still running even in these times) quick train ride on the railway (old London underground carriages) from Ryde to Shanklin and we are there, normally for a long weekend (Fri to Monday), we do this 2 or 3 times a year and love it.

As I am rambling on a bit here...I will end with....and then theres the looming problem with getting Travel Insurance if and when Cruises become available again, so glad I live near the Isle of Wight.!!:).

Just might see some of you in the future eh.:):)....unless my wife changes my mind.:)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jake 26 said:

I wonder if it's to coincide with the end of the current furlough period which was to run from the beginning of April for 3 months.

Furlough rules were changed a couple of days ago after much lobbying, the cut off is now 19 March and period extended until end of June.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/04/thousands-more-eligible-for-government-job-retention-scheme-afte/

8 minutes ago, barriead said:

I have now asked for refund for Canaries trip on Ventura in May and left open my Iona trip in October...just in case.:)

Have given up hoping things would turn around quickly....and dont see a way out of this unless a miraculous vaccine turns up in the next few months....fingers crossed.

I do blow a bit hot and cold about future Cruising....but as we love it so much hope there will come a time soon when we can seriously start looking again...I do however feel prices could increase15 to 20% over and above the already increased prices for next year (my Canaries cruise in Sup de lux cabin  was showing at £500 more for similar time next year a few weeks back) and things like that will put a lot of people off....trouble is most of us love cruising and the itinaries so much I think the Ships would still fill up even at these inflated prices as a big majority of Cruisers are retirees with decent pensions...and P&O know that.

I live in Portsmouth and am hoping to get across to the the Isle of Wight for about 10 days August/September-ish and am worried I might not even get there...we always stay in a little hotel on Shanklin Cliff top very close to Shanklin old village and its always a lovely experience....we always use the local bus service to get around where possible. Quick hop on the hovercraft (still running even in these times) quick train ride on the railway (old London underground carriages) from Ryde to Shanklin and we are there, normally for a long weekend (Fri to Monday), we do this 2 or 3 times a year and love it.

As I am rambling on a bit here...I will end with....and then theres the looming problem with getting Travel Insurance if and when Cruises become available again, so glad I live near the Isle of Wight.!!:).

Just might see some of you in the future eh.:):)....unless my wife changes my mind.:)

Shhhh. Please don’t tell everyone about how wonderful the Isle of Wight is or they will all start to discover it and then it will no longer be the lovely quiet place that we love so much. I’m feeling very sad today as we should be there now for our first of two weeks this year. The next attempt will be October and whilst I’m more hopeful I’m not holding my breath. We would have been enjoying the wonderful pubs and restaurants in between coastal walks. Our favourite pub (the Folly Inn at Whippingham) was sadly ruined when it changed hands a few years ago (the reviews on Trip Advisor are now consistently poor) but the former owners moved to the Wight Mouse Inn at Niton which is now excellent again (having become very average when the long standing private owners sold out to a chain many years ago).

i agree with most of your sentiments about cruising, other than the fact that I’m not quite as optimistic about the over 70’s returning to cruising in the numbers that P&O has previously enjoyed. Whilst most over 70’s on this forum may be inclined to return, I think those on Cruise Critic are, in the main, cruise enthusiasts and less representative of the wider population. Those that I know in that age group are quite anxious about the future until a vaccine is found and those who have cruised before are saying that they wouldn’t even entertain a cruise until that time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barriead said:

When Michelle and I were 'courting' we used to have long weekends on IOW and have great memories... 

We haven't done it for a few years now but you have reminded us how lovely it is. 

We also used to stay above the cliffs in Shanklin, I think it was called The Royal Hotel? 

Walks along Bembridge was our 'thing'. 

Who needs cruising, I'm off to the Island... 

Andy 

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

I find it hard to understand why anyone would think that holidays will happen in the Summer this year - but there are some pretty strange people out there....

Now I call that "positive thinking" and I will admit to being strange😆.

Avril  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

When Michelle and I were 'courting' we used to have long weekends on IOW and have great memories... 

We haven't done it for a few years now but you have reminded us how lovely it is. 

We also used to stay above the cliffs in Shanklin, I think it was called The Royal Hotel? 

Walks along Bembridge was our 'thing'. 

Who needs cruising, I'm off to the Island... 

Andy 

The Royal Hotel is in Ventnor Andy. Quite an upmarket place. We haven’t stayed there as we rent a private holiday home when in the island, but we went there for dinner a year or so ago. Very good quality food but tiny portions. Left hungry! At the bottom of the very steep zig zag hill opposite is the superb Spyglass Inn on the beachfront. Another of our favourite haunts and the Ventnor crab sandwiches are my wife’s favourite there! 

13 hours ago, Britboys said:

I agree, but... 

We are a strange old bunch. I said at the start that some people will get 'bored' and start taking small chances. 

The slight relaxing of the lockdown has started already and people will push these boundaries. 

Shops/factories will start to reopen soon and I doubt it will be long before holiday parks etc will follow, with restrictions of course. 

The virus will continue, but the lockdown was never about stopping it, just slowing it. 

Normality as we knew it is a long way off, but the new normal might not be as far away as we think... 

Andy 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The Royal Hotel is in Ventnor Andy. Quite an upmarket place. We haven’t stayed there as we rent a private holiday home when in the island, but we went there for dinner a year or so ago. Very good quality food but tiny portions. Left hungry! At the bottom of the very steep zig zag hill opposite is the superb Spyglass Inn on the beachfront. Another of our favourite haunts and the Ventnor crab sandwiches are my wife’s favourite there! 

No, thats not the same place then. 

I must have got the name wrong... 

Andy 

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I agree, but... 

We are a strange old bunch. I said at the start that some people will get 'bored' and start taking small chances. 

The slight relaxing of the lockdown has started already and people will push these boundaries. 

Shops/factories will start to reopen soon and I doubt it will be long before holiday parks etc will follow, with restrictions of course. 

The virus will continue, but the lockdown was never about stopping it, just slowing it. 

Normality as we knew it is a long way off, but the new normal might not be as far away as we think... 

Andy 

Yesterday I went out for the shopping. My wife then made the short journey to her parents to drop their shopping off and as soon as she returned she said that the roads were busier than they had been for weeks. I felt exactly the same when I was out. I really hope people aren't getting negligent due to boredom but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril  

I will be away somewhere the moment restrictions are lifted. South Devon sounds appealing from some of the posts on this site. I would hope by late June. We are on Iona at the end of August ( Gary Barlow is on board 😷). Some UK holiday brands are doing refundable deposits. We are positive that there is an abundance of negativity on here. There is an end to this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Selbourne said:

I’d love to share your optimism but, as Andy says, I doubt that many cruise companies will be looking to expand over the next few years. Yes, there might be some rationalisation, but my fear is that this crisis will see off a number of the smaller cruise ships that tend to have older passenger profiles. We have done quite a few cruises on Aurora and the average age of passenger has been mid 70’s. Other than the die hard cruisers (unfortunate choice of words perhaps) and those who have been oblivious to all the news about virus spread on cruise ships, I can see a big drop in the number of over 70’s cruising for the next year or two, not least because they may struggle to get insurance cover.

If I was the CEO of a large cruise line such as Carnival, I would be thinking now about ways to combat this likely structural change. In the case of P&O, although their brand repositioning towards the ‘Saturday Night ITV’ market has been deeply unpopular with those of us who might be described as ‘traditional cruisers’, it will undoubtedly be the saviour of them over the coming years. They are targeting the younger, family type audience and whilst many will be deterred from cruising by all the recent bad press that cruising has received, there are still more than enough of them to go after in order to fill their newer resort style ships. 

The problem will be filling two adult only ships, as they don’t have the facilities that this new breed of cruiser demands. In my role as ‘fantasy CEO’ I would create a sub brand targeting a more upmarket cruise experience and convert one of the two adult only ships to this format. Not quite Silverseas standard but a lot more upmarket than P&O. The improvements would need to result in a big overhaul of cabin quality (currently 3 star hotel standard) and entertainment (currently holiday camp style). I find the food and service on P&O ships to be consistently good, but there would also need to be a step up on the former to justify the higher prices that would be charged. The premium price that would be charged to provide this premium cruise experience could also possibly include travel insurance (a la Saga) if the over 70’s were still going to make up a reasonable proportion of the passengers. This approach would certainly encourage us to book more cruises (we are well under 70 BTW) and I know that many others on this forum have also stated that they would pay more for a more upmarket experience. 

Good sense as always Selbourne. The "Saturday night ITV" crowd and resort holiday seekers are one thing, especially during school holidays, but P&O will also need to retain their share of the "Grey Pound."

4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Good sense as always Selbourne. The "Saturday night ITV" crowd and resort holiday seekers are one thing, especially during school holidays, but P&O will also need to retain their share of the "Grey Pound."

If we are old and grey, but watch TV on Saturday nights and like holiday resorts as well,will they target us, or ban us?.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If we are old and grey, but watch TV on Saturday nights and like holiday resorts as well, will they target us, or ban us?

No, they will bombard you constantly with marketing materials via emails and post!

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

No, they will bombard you constantly with marketing materials via emails and post!

So far today I have had 5 emails from holiday/cruise companies. It's the only travel we get at the moment. U Tube has taken a bashing. We go to the Canaries on Tuesday(not). When TUI get around to it I can add their voucher to the rest. LET US OUT. A day trip to Southsea will be a treat.😷.

Edited by zap99
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I will be away somewhere the moment restrictions are lifted. South Devon sounds appealing from some of the posts on this site. I would hope by late June. We are on Iona at the end of August ( Gary Barlow is on board 😷). Some UK holiday brands are doing refundable deposits. We are positive that there is an abundance of negativity on here. There is an end to this.

There is an end, hopefully.  But only with an effective treatment or vaccine, realistically speaking. Without one or both of those the infections and deaths sadly continue. 

The lock down can certainly come off at some point in the future,  maybe in a few weeks, but social distancing will probably remain,  and that changes the face of travel and holidays.  And the prices of course, because the fixed costs to operators such as airlines and cruise companies will remain much the same, but will have to be spread out across much lower numbers of customers. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

There is an end, hopefully.  But only with an effective treatment or vaccine, realistically speaking. Without one or both of those the infections and deaths sadly continue. 

The lock down can certainly come off at some point in the future,  maybe in a few weeks, but social distancing will probably remain,  and that changes the face of travel and holidays.  And the prices of course, because the fixed costs to operators such as airlines and cruise companies will remain much the same, but will have to be spread out across much lower numbers of customers. 

I read yesterday that Easy jet were going to leave their centre seats empty, once they restart operations, that will reduce capacity on their single aisle planes from 180 to 120, so expect much higher prices.

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I read yesterday that Easy jet were going to leave their centre seats empty, once they restart operations, that will reduce capacity on their single aisle planes from 180 to 120, so expect much higher prices.

I read the article and personally I would welcome a bit of a reset for plane seating even if it costs more. I hope they also take out a few rows or it is pointless as you may have the space of the middle seat but still be squashed in tight rows.

The seat spaces have got tighter and tighter over the years as they try to squeeze in more people on planes (and cruise ships where public areas have been converted to  yet more cabins). We always book the extra space seats on any plane journey and frankly on easyJet they are still tight even in these extra cost seats.

After all of this holidays companies will hopefully bounce back but I don’t think the product will look quite the same. More people will be more conscious of their personal space and of disease transmission, they won’t want to be like sardines in a can so flights (and potentially cruises) might become slightly more civilised again. 

Add to the mix the green agenda and perhaps there will be less but more comfortable travel and train services might be able to compete with plane fares.

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I've had several stays at Warner's Bembridge Coast Hotel.  It is not 'upmarket' but very comfortable with pleasant food.  The setting is stunning with mature trees and lovely lawns extending down to the (admittedly rather scraggy) beach.  With good weather you could easily feel that you are on the Cote D'Azur.  Good cruise ship spotting too under normal circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril  

I'm thinking that travel may start to be possible in the Autumn - that's positive as far as I am concerned 😃

• Like 1

Just now, Britboys said:

I'm thinking that travel may start to be possible in the Autumn - that's positive as far as I am concerned 😃

And that's as positive as I need you to be. We're booked on Arcadia November 6th. 😉

Avril 

• Like 1