Refund or FCC?

deanman02

I know this topic is addressed within various posts but when you have this option, would you be kind enough to let me know why you chose or will choose the one you did?  Thanks in advance!

I just discovered a post with this same title.  Please excuse me.

Edited by deanman02
error

No excuse necessary.  I do not spend all my time searching the cc boards and your post is the first I have encountered.

As to your question, we decided to take the FCC ( we were not offered 125%, since we chose to cancel). We immediately applied it to another in 2021. All these cruises may be a moot point, should the US make it mandatory for all to have an antibody test before being allowed to board a cruise sailing from a US port. We chose the FCC because we thought it was a generous (100%) FCC being in cancellation 30 days from sailing, and we are not 'fickle' like most MSC enthusiasts. We have tried their YC product and like it above all others we have tried (for the price). Seeing the situation today and only the hope of ever cruising the next 2 years, I would recommend you try for a refund. I see a future where we might be applying for a refund should we fail a future antibody test or the vaccine not available til 2022, on all our 2021 booked cruises from the US ports.

I opted for the refund instead. Once I learned the FCC (125%) can only be applied to the base fare only (remaining balance cannot be applied to on board credit, instead you have to cruise again or upgrade the sailing to benefit) I realized I would not benefit by allowing MSC to hold my money for over 1 year. I can do a lot with that money in 1 year that will net me higher gains than 25%. Also, I looked at the cost of future cruises and they cost similar to my current cancelled cruise, meaning I may not be able to fully utilize the extra 25%, which was a compelling reason for me. Everyone's situation is different. I am young, have a less flexible travel schedule, and finances are more important to me, so these reasons led me to pick refund instead.  

EDIT: side note, did anyone get their refund yet? 

Edited by ste17l

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm curious to know how I can realize a 25% gain in one year like the poster above! That's awesome, I may have to rethink my decision about FCC vs refund if I know what that is.

Me too! Before the plague, I was getting about 10-15% return on investment, now just hoping to recoup the money lost since this thing started.

I opted for the FCC. I had a 7 day and 11 day B2B booked, the extra 25% amounted to almost $1000 USD, about 1350 CAD. I thought that was worth it. There are similar itineraries next May so hoping to book those.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, ste17l said:

I opted for the refund instead. Once I learned the FCC (125%) can only be applied to the base fare only (remaining balance cannot be applied to on board credit, instead you have to cruise again or upgrade the sailing to benefit) I realized I would not benefit by allowing MSC to hold my money for over 1 year. I can do a lot with that money in 1 year that will net me higher gains than 25%. Also, I looked at the cost of future cruises and they cost similar to my current cancelled cruise, meaning I may not be able to fully utilize the extra 25%, which was a compelling reason for me. Everyone's situation is different. I am young, have a less flexible travel schedule, and finances are more important to me, so these reasons led me to pick refund instead.  

EDIT: side note, did anyone get their refund yet? 

You mentioned the FCC can only be applied to base fare only.  So, I'm assuming that when you rebook that you will have to pay out of pocket for taxes/port fees (I know this is supposed to be refunded with the cancellation correct?)  

On 4/17/2020 at 1:30 PM, DCGuy64 said:

I'm curious to know how I can realize a 25% gain in one year like the poster above! That's awesome, I may have to rethink my decision about FCC vs refund if I know what that is.

Haha! Potentially cruise stocks 😉. They dropped 75% of it's value, once it returns in (hopefully) a years time the return could potentially be greater than 25% 

1 hour ago, jmoak said:

You mentioned the FCC can only be applied to base fare only.  So, I'm assuming that when you rebook that you will have to pay out of pocket for taxes/port fees (I know this is supposed to be refunded with the cancellation correct?)  

Yes that's correct, out of pocket for taxes. I'm having a hard time finding another cruise that will utilize the 25% without upgrading and potentially spending more money. But again, I work in a tight schedule so my options were limited. 

2 minutes ago, ste17l said:

Haha! Potentially cruise stocks 😉. They dropped 75% of it's value, once it returns in (hopefully) a years time the return could potentially be greater than 25% 

I wonder how high the demand would be next year. According to some news feed , the overall demand will be +200% . I know it doesnt sound real but people are craving to go on cruises and even those who have cancelled their cruise or whose cruises were canceled are still willing to travel, and they will travel as soon as cruising returns 

For those who requested a refund through the form, did you get an email confirmation at least acknowledging your submission?  

I just submitted but haven’t gotten an email and was just wondering should I expect one...  thanks

6 hours ago, jmoak said:

For those who requested a refund through the form, did you get an email confirmation at least acknowledging your submission?  

I just submitted but haven’t gotten an email and was just wondering should I expect one...  thanks

Yes I got an email. It stated: 

Your MSC Cruise Assurance Form has been successfully submitted.
Your Refund Reference Number for this request is - xxxxxxxxx
Use this Reference Number for all future correspondence regarding this request.
Your refund will be processed within 60 days.
Thank you,
MSC Cruises 34191170

10 hours ago, ste17l said:

Yes I got an email. It stated: 

Your MSC Cruise Assurance Form has been successfully submitted.
Your Refund Reference Number for this request is - xxxxxxxxx
Use this Reference Number for all future correspondence regarding this request.
Your refund will be processed within 60 days.
Thank you,
MSC Cruises 34191170

Did you book with a TA or directly with MSC. I requested a refund through my TA and she said she submitted it and it would take 60 days. But I only have the email from her, nothing from MSC.

Thanks,

Tony