Pre-cruise screening

drkitkat123

sounds like  a good plan for the COVID virus    if it is  reliable

so now  people will have to check in 4-5 hrs  ahead  of time  to have this testing done instead of 2-3 hrs

my BP would be up just waiting  in line  😉

I've read this and haven't thought it all the way through so please excuse me. What about the various countries requiring visas from any and all countries' citizens that they choose. And the visa requirement will require a COVID vaccination requirement. Between now and a vaccination, I don't know. Maybe what Emirates is doing. ???

9 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Definitely reliable source and the news is repeated on various other sources like CNN.

This is a great idea for a stopgap measure until a vaccine is developed (as would be a rapid antibody test once available).

I could see it working for cruise ship embarkation (at least on smaller ships at <1000 passengers) for starters. A port authority could provide the service with the cost covered by tacking it on the cruise fare (just like a Visa charge).

Of course, there would remain the issue of communicability at port stops. Nonetheless, the embarkation test would be a game changer that is far better/more reliable than a stupid/useless MD note.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Agree that a doctors note would have some limited usefulness. Perhaps the person was ok at the time of the visit but Is not now when boarding. But, it is a step in the right direction in screening those who were not aware of their illness. Short of an effective vaccine any measures have their shortfalls/issues. 

So it is  not clear if this blood test  shows an active virus  or antibodies  like you may have had the virus

What IF  the virus goes away  before cruising starts up again ..will they be doing such testing?

How many will be turned away  because they may have antibodies of COVID  that are mistaken for  having an active case

Seem great on the surface  but  there needs to be more reliable answers

They  should close the airspace  so only cargo is flying ..no pax  (flight crew could be tested)

You are now just moving the virus (people ) from one infected area  to infect another area that my not be  as infected

Canada is still allowing people (supposedly Canadian citizens)   to come in from China 

just stop all flights  for  30 days  at minimum

Anyway  I think we  are still a ways off from travelling for pleasure

JMO

• Like 2