Do people (i.e Super Mario) still live on ships?

Was curious as to the fate of those who call cruise ships home.  Super Mario on Royal ships, Mama Lee on Crystal, and the residents on the World ship come to mind.  Wonder how they are doing in Covid-19 days -- nothing in the press about them. 

7 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Wow -- imagine being displaced from your home amid this crisis -- although these are most likely secondary and tertiary homes for these residents.  

2 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

The World was going around as a star 🤣

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9219331

Was that why the World was booted out of Australia?  Wonder where to next?  Even with a skeleton crew they must be burning a lot of oil.  Curious if residents are still required to pay their monthly maintenance fees -- OUCH!

Mario has a condo in Miami (this has been answered a ton of times).  He is no different than any other passenger other than the fact he books back to back to back to back, etc cruises for months at a time.  He has to book each one just like anyone would.  So, the only way he "lives" on the ship is he books multiple cruises. 

I think the OP mistakenly thinks those that "live" on cruise ships have no other homes and somehow are a permanent part like they've bought into it or rent it out like an apartment.   Neither of which is true, unless someone chooses to not maintain a home ashore.

The residential ships are different in terms of the residents, but even they fall  under the same requirements at sea as other passenger ships.

Edited by BND

5 minutes ago, BND said:

Mario has a condo in Miami (this has been answered a ton of times).  He is no different than any other passenger other than the fact he books back to back to back to back, etc cruises for months at a time.  He has to book each one just like anyone would.  So, the only way he "lives" on the ship is he books multiple cruises. 

I heard he flew South to a location without COVID19. Source was pretty good. 

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

I heard he flew South to a location without COVID19. Source was pretty good. 

I seem to remember hearing he has a favorite southern destination.  I didn't know there was any country that has zero cases.

6 minutes ago, BND said:

I seem to remember hearing he has a favorite southern destination.  I didn't know there was any country that has zero cases.

My understanding is Antartica has zero cases.  There is also a territory in Canada without cases, but they have even forbidden other Canadians from visiting there.  Can't blame them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BND said:

I think the OP mistakenly thinks those that "live" on cruise ships have no other homes and somehow are a permanent part like they've bought into it or rent it out like an apartment.   Neither of which is true, unless someone chooses to not maintain a home ashore.

The residential ships are different in terms of the residents, but even they fall under the same requirements at sea as other passenger ships.

I, the OP, never thought those that live on ships have no other homes -- where the 👿did you get that idea?  My question was whether they were denied the option of living either full-time or part-time on ships, and was referring to  how they were adopting to a different lifestyle (as we all are).  Clearly these are people of means and will hardly be homeless on dry land.  You know what they say about assuming...😈

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

My understanding is Antartica has zero cases.  There is also a territory in Canada without cases, but they have even forbidden other Canadians from visiting there.  Can't blame them.

I’m pretty sure he was smart enough to find a location. Except for going to New Orleans or NYC, just about anyplace is better than Miami. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, livingonthebeach said:

I, the OP, never thought those that live on ships have no other homes -- where the 👿did you get that idea?  My question was whether they were denied the option of living either full-time or part-time on ships, and was referring to  how they were adopting to a different lifestyle (as we all are).  Clearly these are people of means and will hardly be homeless on dry land.  You know what they say about assuming...😈

I don’t have it as fact but I would assume he was required to leave the ship as he was not crew. 

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I don’t have it as fact but I would assume he was required to leave the ship as he was not crew. 

Right, but he was such a fixture on Royal ships was thinking he could be an exemption but not so, it appears.  Wonder if he will remain "Loyal to Royal" when all this is said and done...

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Right, but he was such a fixture on Royal ships was thinking he could be an exemption but not so, it appears.  Wonder if he will remain "Loyal to Royal" when all this is said and done...

No one is an exception.  He's just someone who cruises a lot, that's all.

12 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Don't get mad lol.  You did say they call cruise ships "home".  Actually Mario moves around ship to ship over time and I'm guessing if you ask him, he'd tell you home is his homebase, not a ship.   Why would you also think there'd be something in the press about them?  He just purchases multiple cruises, nothing special, anyone who wants to can do it.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

Don't get mad lol.  You did say they call cruise ships "home".  Actually Mario moves around ship to ship over time and I'm guessing if you ask him, he'd tell you home is his homebase, not a ship.   Why would you also think there'd be something in the press about them?  They purchase multiple cruises.

I'm not "mad" just a little taken aback by your response. 🤔 Mario has been cruising on Royal ships for over 20 years and spends around $65,000 a year on his "home away from home".  You would think he would receive a better treatment than the "rest of us".  If you Google him, you will see he has had a lot of press coverage throughout the years.   

29 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The following places also have no reported cases:  Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Samoa, Kiribati, Micronesia, Tonga, the Marshall Islands Palau, Tuvalu, and Nauru.

Problem is how to get there.  LOL

Ok - a little OT from the thread - here's a math question that's somewhat related:

As someone pointed out, Mario, assuming he is just like the rest of us underlings, makes final payment 90 days ahead and has secured deposits for the 365 days he's onboard, how much of his $$ does Royal hold?  Any chance he will receive a refund in Antarctica?