Changing from double to single occupancy

My friend and I are booked on a round-trip cruise from Canada in September.  I don't know whether the ship will sail, but I'd prefer to pay off the cruise and get a refund if it's cancelled - rather than a FCC if we cancel before final payment. If my friend decides that she doesn't want to go, but I still do  -  would there be a penalty to change from double to single occupancy prior to final payment?  Would I pay the double-occupancy price we have now - minus one set of taxes? (FYI - I don't qualify for a reduced single supplement.) We got a really good price when I booked it, so I hope the same cabin wouldn't be repriced as a single - based on current (much higher) prices. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

My friend and I are booked on a round-trip cruise from Canada in September.  I don't know whether the ship will sail, but I'd prefer to pay off the cruise and get a refund if it's cancelled - rather than a FCC if we cancel before final payment. If my friend decides that she doesn't want to go, but I still do  -  would there be a penalty to change from double to single occupancy prior to final payment?  Would I pay the double-occupancy price we have now - minus one set of taxes? (FYI - I don't qualify for a reduced single supplement.) We got a really good price when I booked it, so I hope the same cabin wouldn't be repriced as a single - based on current (much higher) prices. Thanks!

Can you pay it off and if cancelled she is no show?

I never heard of reduced single supplements and having to qualify.

I have seen a very few with less than 100% but rarely, so yes if she cancels you pay double fare. 

Just now, firefly333 said:

Can you pay it off and if cancelled she is no show?

I never heard of reduced single supplements and having to qualify.

I have seen a very few with less than 100% but rarely, so yes if she cancels you pay double fare. 

I know I'll pay double fare - but will it be the price at which I booked, or current prices? Would there be a penalty since the deposit was non-refundable?

Those with 350 C&A points get a reduced single supplement. 

10 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

We got a really good price when I booked it, so I hope the same cabin wouldn't be repriced as a single - based on current (much higher) prices.

The main reason you may want to rebook as single is to ensure double points and the very few times the solo price doesn't have the usual 200% solo supplement. Otherwise, leave the booking alone and just have the second person be a no show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The main reason you may want to rebook as single is to ensure double points and the very few times the solo price doesn't have the usual 200% solo supplement. Otherwise, leave the booking alone and just have the second person be a no show.

My question is - if I rebook as a single, is the price based on the total cabin price at the time of booking, minus one set of taxes?

5 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

My question is - if I rebook as a single, is the price based on the total cabin price at the time of booking, minus one set of taxes?

The price is whatever it is for a solo - Oasis for example had 100% solo supplement, it all depends on what promo and pricing is at the time of booking (or rebooking in your case).

Edited by Biker19

1 minute ago, NancyIL said:

Boo! Thanks!

In the current climate I wouldn't touch any booking - especially outside of final payment. Actually, I take that back, I would rebook the cheapest cabin available (assuming it's less than what you paid) and then, if the second person bails, upgrade after final payment (very likely prices will drop inside final).

Edited by Biker19

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In the current climate I wouldn't touch any booking - especially outside of final payment.

I paid the deposit when the cruise was booked. If I make the final payment, too, and then the cruise is cancelled - does the refund go entirely to my credit card?

Edited by NancyIL

1 minute ago, NancyIL said:

I paid the deposit when the cruise was booked. If I make the final payment, too, and then the cruise is cancelled - does the refund go entirely to my credit card?

Yes, but again, you have time to wait to see how things develop between now and final payment.

I book as if someone else is going and then tell them it’s a no show a couple of days before as I’ll get the port taxes back and I’ll get double points. 
if the cruise doesn’t go and you’ve paid full payment, you get all the money back. It’s only if you chose the FCC it will be split to both passengers.

18 minutes ago, Ned11 said:

I book as if someone else is going and then tell them it’s a no show a couple of days before as I’ll get the port taxes back and I’ll get double points. 
if the cruise doesn’t go and you’ve paid full payment, you get all the money back. It’s only if you chose the FCC it will be split to both passengers.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

In the current climate I wouldn't touch any booking - especially outside of final payment. Actually, I take that back, I would rebook the cheapest cabin available (assuming it's less than what you paid) and then, if the second person bails, upgrade after final payment (very likely prices will drop inside final).

The least expensive inside cabin is currently  >$400 more than the OV that I booked. I’ll keep what I have, and see what happens with cruising over the next 2 months.  

ETA: if my friend decides not to cruise and I do cruise - does RCI need advance notice?

Edited by NancyIL

4 hours ago, NancyIL said:

I know I'll pay double fare - but will it be the price at which I booked, or current prices? Would there be a penalty since the deposit was non-refundable?

Those with 350 C&A points get a reduced single supplement. 

Oh good to know. I'm not close either.

I'm wondering if I get double loyalty pts. First time booking a solo cabin. Do solo cabins still get double pts, or only if I paid 200%.

6 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

The least expensive inside cabin is currently  >$400 more than the OV that I booked. I’ll keep what I have, and see what happens with cruising over the next 2 months.  

ETA: if my friend decides not to cruise and I do cruise - does RCI need advance notice?

If you tell rcl ahead of time, then you owe the 200%. Dont say a word, just check in as usual

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Oh good to know. I'm not close either.

I'm wondering if I get double loyalty pts. First time booking a solo cabin. Do solo cabins still get double pts, or only if I paid 200%.

Solo cabins get regular points.  Solos travelling in a double cabin get double points. 

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

To tell them you are going solo, no, to get double points, maybe.

I would want to get the ~$200 in taxes refunded  for the 2nd passenger, but I don’t want to get hit with a cancellation penalty from RCI. 

Just now, NancyIL said:

I would want to get the ~$200 in taxes refunded  for the 2nd passenger, but I don’t want to get hit with a cancellation penalty from RCI. 

You'll get taxes back either way, telling them you are going solo may trigger a reprice - there's no "penalty".

2 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

After the cruise the credit card that paid them will get her taxes and fees refunded. That's what Biker is saying. 

• Like 1