Final payments changed 60 days before sailing

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

I thought it was always 75 days.  What's the source for 60 vs 90?

It depended on the itinerary. 75 days was for the majority of Caribbean, AK,  and coastal cruises, while holiday cruises, South Pacific, Grand Voyages, etc, had earlier final payment dates.  IIRC none ever had 60 days before.

Edited by catl331

This explains the anomaly that I see in dates for my July 2020 cruises Canada New England. Due date was changed but penalty dates are before the new final payment date. i.e. 50% forfeiture is a few days before you have to pay anything above the initial deposit. Confusing!!

16 hours ago, Cruise4food said:

This explains the anomaly that I see in dates for my July 2020 cruises Canada New England. Due date was changed but penalty dates are before the new final payment date. i.e. 50% forfeiture is a few days before you have to pay anything above the initial deposit. Confusing!!

We had a Princess cruise that we have since cancelled with a $200 refundable deposit. Well before cancelling I had called out TA and asked if the final payment date had been changed since I had seen that mentioned here on cruisecritic. He looked it up and said yes it had been moved one month, but there was a $100 penalty if we paid after the original April date but on time according to the new May date.

Yes, Confusing!!

Well....the Sept. 30th date doesn't help us with an Oct. 3rd sailing from Rotterdam.  With an original final payment date of aprox. July 4th we are not sure we will be able to assess the Covid-19 situation at that time on whether to cancel or make the payment.  An Aug. 4th date would give us a better view.  But who knows, this can change in a hour.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We had a Princess cruise that we have since cancelled with a $200 refundable deposit. Well before cancelling I had called out TA and asked if the final payment date had been changed since I had seen that mentioned here on cruisecritic. He looked it up and said yes it had been moved one month, but there was a $100 penalty if we paid after the original April date but on time according to the new May date.

Yes, Confusing!!

I don't understand what the $100 is for???

1 hour ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I don't understand what the $100 is for???

The TA said Princess had it down as a late payment penalty despite having changed the due date. I agree it does not make much sense.

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

I hope it is lagit, maybe call princess to varefi.

I could be wrong, but I think it is a computer problem. They changed the due dates but neglected to program that there was no penalty until the NEW due date. Hopefully, it is something that they have fixed by now.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I could be wrong, but I think it is a computer problem. They changed the due dates but neglected to program that there was no penalty until the NEW due date. Hopefully, it is something that they have fixed by now.

If you go back and read the official HAL announcement of the postponement of final payment dates that is in post #7 above, it is rather explicit in saying that the later date for final payment in that instance does not change the cancellation penalty dates.  So I doubt it is a computer problem; they seem to be doing this intentionally.  The deadline for paying is later, but the deadline for withdrawing without penalty is not.

7 hours ago, RBB said:

If you go back and read the official HAL announcement of the postponement of final payment dates that is in post #7 above, it is rather explicit in saying that the later date for final payment in that instance does not change the cancellation penalty dates.  So I doubt it is a computer problem; they seem to be doing this intentionally.  The deadline for paying is later, but the deadline for withdrawing without penalty is not.

So, my final payment moved from June 22, 2020 to July 22, 2020 for a Sept. 20th cruise. My 50% gross fare penalty (on the original booking) is July19, so if I cancel on July 20, I owe them 50%? Or is it just all my deposit? 🤔

18 hours ago, rajkr74 said:

Well....the Sept. 30th date doesn't help us with an Oct. 3rd sailing from Rotterdam.  With an original final payment date of aprox. July 4th we are not sure we will be able to assess the Covid-19 situation at that time on whether to cancel or make the payment.  An Aug. 4th date would give us a better view.  But who knows, this can change in a hour.

I’m on that Rotterdam 10/3 cruise, too.  I don’t know what to think.  The Rotterdam is still in the Bahamas.  Will ports be open?  Cruising seems in jeopardy until there is a vaccine?  Alice

1 hour ago, AliceS said:

I’m on that Rotterdam 10/3 cruise, too.  I don’t know what to think.  The Rotterdam is still in the Bahamas.  Will ports be open?  Cruising seems in jeopardy until there is a vaccine?  Alice

We are on the 14 day on 10/3.  Final is still 7/5/20 I believe.  60 days before for final is for sailings prior to 9/30/20.  Our problem now is that American has cancelled our return flight from bcn to mia.  Only alternative is Norwegian bcn to fll.  Not sure if there will still be hear in October. Not sure I want to do a connection. Add to that the 60 to 90 days to get a refund, we might cancel before final. Have about two months to decide. 

11 hours ago, RBB said:

OK, I will accept that it is not an error if that is the official policy/ (Our cruise would have been on Princess, but I am guessing they have the same policy.) But that is a really strange way to do things to change the date due but not the penalty if you miss the original due date.

53 minutes ago, wesport said:

We are on the 14 day on 10/3.  Final is still 7/5/20 I believe.  60 days before for final is for sailings prior to 9/30/20.  Our problem now is that American has cancelled our return flight from bcn to mia.  Only alternative is Norwegian bcn to fll.  Not sure if there will still be hear in October. Not sure I want to do a connection. Add to that the 60 to 90 days to get a refund, we might cancel before final. Have about two months to decide. 

Not knowing if our booked airlines would still be flying is one of the main reasons we cancelled our summer cruise (Norwegian fjords) before out final payment date.