Vacation Protection & Covid

parrothead74

I'm booked on a Halloween Cruise on the Magic.  I don't get the vacation protection because I'm generally healthy and travel in the day prior.  I have until August to add it, prior to final payment, but my question is if the ship sails, but there are still travel restrictions and being a NY resident, will I get FCC if it is unsafe or unwise to travel?    

1 hour ago, coevan said:

cancel for any reason does not cover pandemics or other acts of nature 

So, "Cancel For Any Reason" does not cover canceling for any reason???  Seems contradictory at best...

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

Cancel For Any Reason is just that  ANY reason in the world.

The only thing you have to say is, "I don't want to go anymore". That's it, end of discussion. Policy pays max. Crusieline policy usually pays 75% in the form a an FCC. With Carnival policy or other cruiseline policies, you can cancel all the way up to 1 minute before scheduled departure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

So, "Cancel For Any Reason" does not cover canceling for any reason???  Seems contradictory at best...

Garnett

6 hours ago, coevan said:

A hurricane is an act of nature, so if a hurricane is bearing down, I cannot use the insurance? 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

9 hours ago, parrothead74 said:

I'm booked on a Halloween Cruise on the Magic.  I don't get the vacation protection because I'm generally healthy and travel in the day prior.  I have until August to add it, prior to final payment, but my question is if the ship sails, but there are still travel restrictions and being a NY resident, will I get FCC if it is unsafe or unwise to travel?    

Please get travel insurance anyway. Accidents happen. 

Cancel for any reason insurance is expensive and it still doesn't cover everything. 

Example: suppose you decide to cancel the trip and you have flights. You have to cancel the flight (and pay any applicable cancellation fee) and the insurance will cover 75% of the remainder (but won't reimburse the cancellation fee). 

Of course, policies differ...but medical coverage is my main reason for getting insurance. 

5 hours ago, coevan said:

Google CFAR, you will see no mention of insurance

I have CFAR . Purchased it from a 3rd party . It does cover pandemic , but only because I purchased the policy last year before the pandemic . Since my cruise was cancelled . I was able to change the dates . I don’t know if anyone is selling those policies at the moment however . But you can try . It also covers bankruptcy/ financial default. Try Travelinsured.com 

I just bought a Cancel for Any Reason policy for an upcoming cruise. I booked the cruise through an online agency, not Carnival. The TA from that agency said the agency has stopped selling Cancel for Any Reason insurance (I'm guessing because of COVID-19, because they sold it as recently as December of last year). But I found a policy through an online travel insurance broker where you can compare different companies and their policies. Just do a search on travel insurance and a few such brokers' websites will turn up.

The policy was not cheap. But it does cover cancelling for COVID-19 as well as a host of other reasons, including storms. It does not refund 100% of non-refundable charges; only 75%. Not sure any travel insurance will cover 100%. But that beats losing everything you've paid. It pays to cover charges for reinstating airline miles used for travel which is important to me. It also has better medical and medical evacuation coverage than cruise line policies have, and if you buy it within 14 days of making the first payment toward your cruise and/or travel expenses, it also covers pre-existing medical conditions, if that's an issue for anyone.

Hope you find what you're looking for...and happy cruising!! 😎

Yes, healthy or not get insurance.had a December cruise all paid for. 4 days before sailing my 51 yr old son had a brain bleed and was flown to another hospital.  So even though my husband and i are over 70 he was the one with the health issue.  The insurance paid for our cruise. Cruise line paid us for the tax/port charges and Tax’s.