Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 17

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 20 and Sunday, April 26.

Others have mentioned it, but it bears repeating that photography is a very versatile hobby and taking time out from the worries of these trying times to focus on something familiar and fun provides a healthy and much needed dose of normal.

Stay well.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Went to visit the tawny frogmouth(s) again today. Always in the same jacaranda tree, some days there are two, some days only one (today) and some days none. One good thing - it's added motivation to go for the daily exercise walk 😉

Earlier time meant that I got some shots with the bird in the sun.

RX026514-TS2.thumb.jpg.36d3efbbff41f8b76cb8f9ede77873e6.jpg

RX026532A.thumb.jpg.a18e8964a01c38a87d37114e900281a2.jpg

• Like 7

Neat to see it head-on where you can see the large bill.  Our nightjars (chuck-will's-widow, whip-poor-will) look very similar to the tawny from the side and most angles, but ours have very tiny sections of the tip of the bill that barely protrude from all the feathers, so their mouths generally can't be seen unless open.  They all have amazing camouflage though!

My weekend shoot around the yard again - we had a bit of a 'fallout' of migrating birds Saturday as the radar indicated hundreds of thousands of birds arriving from the Caribbean making their way north, while a large storm front was coming down across Florida right in their path - the birds all put down around South Florida early Saturday morning - and my neighborhood had quite a few.  I've never seen so many black-and-white warblers in one place in my life - they numbered in the hundreds...along with blackpoll warblers, prairie warblers, northern parula, black-throated blue warblers, Cape May warblers, yellow-rumped warblers, American redstarts, worm-eating warblers, and more.

A few shots of some migratory birds, plus some locals, from the front and back yards and swimming pool:

One of the hundreds of black-and-white warblers, voraciously feeding on any bugs they could find - hungry after a flight of hundreds of miles over water...it was a bad day to be a bug in South Florida!:

original.jpg

European starling - dirt-common most places, but not super-common down here - so neat to have one in the yard:

original.jpg

Northern parula feeding up in the trees, trying to get some energy for the rest of the migration flight north:

original.jpg

One of the birds that isn't migrating anywhere - the local blue jays, here year-round:

original.jpg

I shared a few shots of these last week - they were one of the first migrating birds to arrive here - and now, one of the last few still sticking around, this Cape May warbler was surrounded mostly by other species:

original.jpg

Another 'local' bird that isn't going anywhere - the northern cardinals are year-round birds in S. Florida, and also regularly nest in my yard.  This female recently had 3 chicks, and if you saw my post last week you saw dad feeding one of them:

original.jpg

• Like 4

Another week of mandated isolation has passed and except for another minor food run, we’re doing our best to be “socially distant”. We order takeout a couple times a week to support our local favorites and homemade bread has returned as a happy habit. Working from home isn't a novelty for me, so that’s no burden. We’re pecking away at old home projects and dreaming up new ones. Of course we miss seeing the kids and grandkids and the cessation of the small amount of socializing we did has had a minor negative impact on our general mood. Kim hasn’t gone crazy with the shopping therapy but the arrival of the little watermelon lights pictured here did what simple, whimsical things like that are supposed to do. They made us smile.

The Simple Things

p3888109745-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...