La Havre courtesy shuttle

tutuwahineLV

is there any sort of shuttle from the pier (cruise ship) into the city center in La Havre?  if not, how easy is the walk ?  

Have no interest in spending hours on a coach to Paris, so will be exploring the local area on our own. 

TIA for your help, and expert knowledge. 

Tutu

Depends on your cruise line/ship.  But most of our ships did not have a shuttle since few folks spend their day in Le Havre.  Grabbing a taxi is an option and if you like long hikes it is possible to walk.

Hank

HI

I am joining you on this one.😁

On the Getaway TA last year there was a bus run by the local Transit. Cost a few Euros. The ticket was also good on all the local transit systems.

Only problem it was Sunday  and Everything was closed outside of the tourist store at the docks.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I had a port stop at Le Havre in October, 2019.

There was a taxi stand just past the excursion buses. I believe the fare to the Malraux museum was 8 Euro. The walk from the docking area to town is through an industrial port area. Flat, but some areas of broken sidewalk, etc. Nothing serious.

Viking and Cunard ran free shuttle buses back from the town center every 15 minutes. Nice light rail system, fine walk along the seawall, etc. We walked from the museum and seawall through a lovely residential area, and eventually went for a tram ride. Had a nice lunch.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 5:13 AM, JayS said:

HI

I am joining you on this one.😁

On the Getaway TA last year there was a bus run by the local Transit. Cost a few Euros. The ticket was also good on all the local transit systems.

Only problem it was Sunday  and Everything was closed outside of the tourist store at the docks.

ohhh,  we're in on a Friday, so things should be open.  Love a ticket that works for all the transit , that's always a plus

• 2 months later...

Any other suggestions for the day in laHarve....been to Paris and Monet's Garden....is Honefleur something we should think about?  We have lots of time cruise not until Spring of "22

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2020 at 10:19 AM, deec said:

Any other suggestions for the day in laHarve....been to Paris and Monet's Garden....is Honefleur something we should think about?  We have lots of time cruise not until Spring of "22

There are quite a few options depending on your transportation situation.  If you simply want to go to one place for the day then you can grab or share a taxi (or some kind of prebooked tour) over to Honfleur (and possibly nearby Deauville).  Honfleur is a small village which has a relaxing pace.  There are some decent cafes/restaurants around the small harbor which is a delightful are to enjoy a long lunch (the best Moules et Frites I ever had was in one of those cafes).  The town also has its share of shops/boutiques.

If you decide to get a rental car then there are many more options.  In the opposite direction of Honfleur you could drive to Fecamp and Etretat.   There is also a very small interesting village called Beuvron en Auge which is seldom visited by organized tours (which is why I enjoy this tiny village) which is a bit out of the way but can be combined with a visit to Honfleur if you have a car.

Hank

• Like 1

We stopped here with Celebrity and the local shuttle was selling tickets at the dock.  I was a little put off by this initially but when we realized it was a day pass for all public transportation we were pleased with the arrangement.  We had been on a long land trip to this part of Normandy and decided to spend the day in Le Harve.  We had some rain and spent some time riding around on trams.  We went to the rocky beach and had lunch in town.  The architecture was post war recovery concrete blocks but it was interesting to us.  We enjoyed the day, because, after all it is France.