Alaska and Europe likely to be a washout for 2020

cruisingxpert

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I do - I hate well done dry pork. I like it pinkish. No know cases of  Trichinosis from US pork in last many, many years.

Yep. I worked in parasitology at CDC back in the 60s and even then there was no trichinosis in commercially raised pork but (I just looked) it was 2011 before they changed the rec. 

6 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I do - I hate well done dry pork. I like it pinkish. No know cases of  Trichinosis from US pork in last many, many years.

correct.... I cook to 130   and my steaks  to 115-120   poultry to 165-70   Pork is very safe  today   the days of Upton Sinclair are past.

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yup.....they, as I said  will not even let you in a store  unless you have full mask and protection,  that in every store venue that is allowed to stay open.   So it is enforced  many times with armed guards.    even in home depot !  Some even have a temperature scan too....    If you look sick or dont have full protection you aint getting in.period

Our groceries aren't doing that but our nursery (plant not child!) is.

54 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

This is where you are wrong.

The highest risk of contracting COVID is any human interaction - like going to the store. You don;t control the risk equation - you don't know when someone will sneeze or cough or stand right next to you (or even bump into you). You still have to handle the items in the store that others may have handled - just like my "shopper" does. The shopper may spend a lot of time in the store but I spend NO time with him/her.

I have no contact with the delivery person. Contracting disease from paper bags and other food items in your bag are much lower than from human contact.

That said, I bring in the bags with gloves, leave non perishables sitting for a day or two (like my mail) and wipe down everything that goes into the fridge right away. The virus does not survive on paper for 2 days.

I also wipe down metal cans. Of course, all fruit is well washed. At the moment I prefer bananas or oranges where you eat the inside or canned fruit like peaches or mandarin oranges (that I normally do not eat).

To each their own.

I do the same thing. Wipe down everything because who knows what my shopper has on their hands. I also ordered canned pineapple, mandarin oranges, etc. Ordering bananas online is interesting. Not sure if they

are by the pound or single. I learned my lesson when I only received one 😉

We also will not order restaurant food delivered. Not sure what the cook or delivery person has. I love to cook, but 3 meals a day for a month now is getting tiring. Saving grace is that we are healthy and alive. Here in the mountains the high altitude can be a real issue if you get it. I live at 8500 ft.  I am a nervous Nelly. LOL!

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Not sure what the cook or delivery person has.

When we've ordered food, it's from restaurants where we've been eating for some time. And we pick it up.

We've been ordering take-out once a week since mid-March.  We want to support our local restaurants because it's their only source of revenue. We pick it up ourselves and replate it when we get it home. It's a nice, good diversion from cooking at home for every meal and it has been safe. 

We also do our own grocery shopping once a week. No ordering online, we go in the store. I have a list and I know the store well so I don't need to browse down every aisle.  I get what's on my list and I leave.  This has been our routine for the past 6-7 weeks.  We have not been sick.   YMMV

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunlover12 said:

We've been ordering take-out once a week since mid-March.  We want to support our local restaurants because it's their only source of revenue. We pick it up ourselves and replate it when we get it home. It's a nice, good diversion from cooking at home for every meal and it has been safe. 

We also do our own grocery shopping once a week. No ordering online, we go in the store. I have a list and I know the store well so I don't need to browse down every aisle.  I get what's on my list and I leave.  This has been our routine for the past 6-7 weeks.  We have not been sick.   YMMV

All of what you mention is just what we do. So far we've had Italian, Shanghainese and pizza. Especially supporting our local restaurants and their workers. Some of our restaurants and other organizations are providing a meal for three on M/W/F for laid off hospitality/restaurant/etc workers. You just pull up to the back of one of the restaurants and they give it to you. OT, we gave our relief check to our local food bank.

• Thanks 1