Alaska and Europe likely to be a washout for 2020

cruisingxpert

I wonder if O will even have any cruises this year 2020. If I haven't been able to go anywhere at all, even in the US, by late fall I would consider a Caribbean cruise on O just for someplace to go. But even those scheduled sailings in November and December may not happen. I have a Windstar Tahiti for January 2021 that is possibly going to be cancelled.

13 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I wonder if O will even have any cruises this year 2020. If I haven't been able to go anywhere at all, even in the US, by late fall I would consider a Caribbean cruise on O just for someplace to go. But even those scheduled sailings in November and December may not happen. I have a Windstar Tahiti for January 2021 that is possibly going to be cancelled.

I think it was @navybankerteacherwho talked about trips to Caribbean and other islands where you have a place with a kitchenette, go out in search of restaurants or eat on site, etc. And others have mentioned all-inclusives.

Until, restaurants, hotels, rest areas reopen, traveling anywhere could be a challenge. Finding a public rest area open?  That in itself would keep me home.  There are take away places to get prepared food. Restrooms closed!  Some of our favorite Caribbean hotels are closed. Wondering if they will reopen when the pandemic is over.  There are many businesses that are closed and will not reopen. The cost of staying in business is high. With no cash input, staying in business is too expensive for most concerns. Stay home, wait it out, and be safe. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Until, restaurants, hotels, rest areas reopen, traveling anywhere could be a challenge. Finding a public rest area open?  That in itself would keep me home.  There are take away places to get prepared food. Restrooms closed!  Some of our favorite Caribbean hotels are closed. Wondering if they will reopen when the pandemic is over.  There are many businesses that are closed and will not reopen. The cost of staying in business is high. With no cash input, staying in business is too expensive for most concerns. Stay home, wait it out, and be safe. 

You are very right.  So Sad.   Has become a different world today and for sure not for the better.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I wonder if other parts of the world are talking about what the US is talking about. That upon initial reopening anyway half the tables will have to be removed. I've never worked in the biz but I understand that really no place could stay in business. Their margins are too slim as it is.

Restaurants work on small markups unless they are very exclusive.  Quick turnovers and prompt service are important to maximize your utilization.  More seats mean you can sell more food. Fast food doesn’t care about comfort.  Now with 6’ spacing and the upcoming requests for small tables, restaurants will have to cut seating to comply with new social distancing. It will be a challenge to see if restaurants can survive with new conditions. Fewer seats in a restaurant could be a recipe for a restaurant’s closing.  I am very conscious of spacing.  I seldom go out. When I do, it’s usually for food. I have had to tell people to get back... SIX FEET....doesn’t seem to mean anything to some people.  Waiting in line to get into stores has become a real problem.  People leave a space, but less than the 6’.  I just boldly remind them to move back for their safety and mine.  I usually get a shocked look, but they move. Most people just wait in lines with a few feet between them. Lines in New Jersey are long. Police have been on duty directing the progress of the line.  I am no surprised that corona virus keeps spreading.  At this rate, with over 800,000 cases in the US, it will be a very long time before we enjoy a meal sitting in a restaurant. 

Right now, my plans still call for me to head to Portugal in September for a week or two, then to Munich to pick up a car, drive around Northern Italy and France for awhile, and then head to Barcelona for the TA to Miami that leaves on 21 November. 

Now I'm going to bed, putting my head under the covers, sticking my fingers in my ears, and repeating, "Lah-lah-lah-lah- I can't hear you -lah-lah-lah-lah."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cliff-FLL said:

Right now, my plans still call for me to head to Portugal in September for a week or two, then to Munich to pick up a car, drive around Northern Italy and France for awhile, and then head to Barcelona for the TA to Miami that leaves on 21 November. 

Now I'm going to bed, putting my head under the covers, sticking my fingers in my ears, and repeating, "Lah-lah-lah-lah- I can't hear you -lah-lah-lah-lah."

I think your plan sounds great actually!  I mean, even if you can't do the TA you should still do all the rest of your Europe trip.  September should be ok.  Things will have opened up by then. 

1 hour ago, clo said:

I wonder if other parts of the world are talking about what the US is talking about. That upon initial reopening anyway half the tables will have to be removed. I've never worked in the biz but I understand that really no place could stay in business. Their margins are too slim as it is.

I realize their margins are slim, but restaurants that are still open are trying to survive right now on carryout and delivery orders. Being able to serve customers on site even at half capacity would be a great improvement and might allow more restaurants to survive until everyday life can become more normal. It also would provide employment to some kitchen and wait staff that have been laid off.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you live there? We're in Reno, NV, and people seem really great about social distancing. That's really too bad.

I live in a suburban area of Central NJ and I find that most people are pretty good at maintaining the recommended distancing. Not perfectly, but most do  a reasonable job.

Perhaps the poster you questioned lives in a more densely populated area of the state.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JVNYC said:

September should be ok

The head of CDC believes that the second wave of COVID will be worse than the first one and will be combined with the Flu season - all probably starting in Sept/Oct..

But what do I know?

Just now, Paulchili said:

The head of CDC believes that the second wave of COVID will be worse than the first one and will be combined with the Flu season - all probably starting in Sept/Oct..

But what do I know?

I hope  they are wrong

I do not think the World could survive  another pandemic so soon

I know  I would not  want to be in "lock down"    again so soon  that is if we even get out of that phase

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I am very conscious of spacing.  I seldom go out. When I do, it’s usually for food. I have had to tell people to get back... SIX FEET....doesn’t seem to mean anything to some people.  Waiting in line to get into stores has become a real problem

Do you not have the option of a food delivery in your area? We use Instacart that will deliver from Safeway, Lucky's, Lunardi's and Nob Hill - the four supermarkets near us that we use normally. There are other delivery options as well here. They will also deliver from Target and many other stores - no need to go out for shopping  if one doesn't want to.

There is a small fee associated with the delivery and a tip but I'll take that over somebody breathing on my neck any day - no need to argue with anyone. The people doing the shopping for you earn some extra cash & tips - it's win/win.

CVS will deliver prescriptions as well via US mail service..

Edited by Paulchili

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do you not have the option of a food delivery in your area? We use Instacart that will deliver from Safeway, Lucky's, Lunardi's and Nob Hill - the four supermarkets near us that we use normally. There are other delivery options as well here.

DH goes shopping here & most  are pretty good about the distancing rules

We do not have home delivery for groceries  ..they do have curbside pick up  but I hear you have to order a week or so in advance  😲

I made DH a  mask to wear  & it gets washed  when he gets home

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

DH goes shopping here & most  are pretty good about the distancing rules

We do not have home delivery for groceries  ..they do have curbside pick up  but I hear you have to order a week or so in advance  😲

I made DH a  mask to wear  & it gets washed  when he gets home

Just stay safe and healthy, however you do it.

18 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do you not have the option of a food delivery in your area? We use Instacart that will deliver from Safeway, Lucky's, Lunardi's and Nob Hill - the four supermarkets near us that we use normally. There are other delivery options as well here. They will also deliver from Target and many other stores - no need to go out for shopping  if one doesn't want to.

There is a small fee associated with the delivery and a tip but I'll take that over somebody breathing on my neck any day - no need to argue with anyone. The people doing the shopping for you earn some extra cash & tips - it's win/win.

CVS will deliver prescriptions as well via US mail service..

In our little ski town I even get my groceries delivered by the small market here for perishables. I am paying my housekeeper to not come. However, the larger grocery store down valley has online ordering. She picks it up for me and drops it at the front door.  Amazon, Walmart, Wine store, and Omaha Steaks for chicken and fish are working out well for us. It is amazing how we have figured it all out. Daily hiking too 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Just stay safe and healthy, however you do it.

we do our best

So far  they say 14  cases in our area   but  it is  a big area  they do not pinpoint the town where the cases are

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

But what do I know?

To be more accurate, he said there's a possibility it would be worse because it would hit at the same time as the flu season. You're ascribing too much certainty to his statement.

There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through,” Robert Redfield, director of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, told The Washington Post."

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

They have a financial interest in trying to invoke panic. Not saying their forecast is right or wrong, just they have reasons to scream Wolf.

Then they should scream even louder because we don't want to find ourselves ever again where we were this year.

Based on our experience this year we should have Gezillions of PPEs, masks and everything else we might need next time - whenever that may be.

Bill Gates predicted such an event in the greatest possible detail in 2014 or 2015 on TED - some didn't take him seriously and did just the opposite - disbanded the NSC's pandemic unit.

Let's hope we've learned something this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outside of my experiences, but doesn’t a lot of these materials have expiration dates? Stockpiles of zillions today may, or may not, do you any good in 2027. 

Hospitals, especially large hospital corporations, slashing on hand inventories and playing JIT with these commodities has been part of the issue.