New Dilemma

mkl55

Hope everyone is staying well.  We have an interesting decision to make and wondered if anyone had some experience with this type of situation.  We have a Med cruise planned on Nieuw Amsterdam that is scheduled to leave out of Civi on Oct. 1, 2020.   Final payment is due at the end of May.  Sadly, we've pretty much decided to cancel for obvious reasons.  It is a refundable fare so that's not the issue.  

The issue is that we used a sizable Cruise Credit that we received as compensation for many, many missed ports on an earlier cruise.   Unfortunately, the terms of the credit state that it must be used on a future cruise booked (not taken) before April 25, 2020.  My TA said that HAL would decide on a case by case basis whether or not they would extend this grace period and since they are pretty much slammed right now, that's about the amount of detail she can get unless I go ahead with the cancellation.  

Rebooking a similar cruise for Fall 2021 is significantly more expensive with fewer perks than the deal we have now so I don't want to do that.

Should we cancel now and take our chances with getting an extension?  Or should we let it ride until final payment thinking that HAL will extend its pause and cancel for us? (I know nobody has a crystal ball, but there's a lot of wisdom on this board)  Thanks for your thoughts.

If it were me, I'd hang on and let HAL cancel it. If they cancel it, seems to me they would more likely honor the cruise credits involved.

Of course, this recognizes the fact that if they do not cancel by final payment date at the end of May, you'll still have to make the decision about whether or not you want to take the cruise....then cancel or not.

I would hold tough for a while, at least until the end of May.  During May many European countries will announce further plans for easing the 'lockdowns' and the plans may give you an indication of which way to go.  Also, keep an eye on airlines and watch how they extend their cancellation policies (or not).  Also, the position of the HAL fleet and what cruises are available to book online.  It may well happen that HAL will not send all the planned ships to Europe and restrict the Med season to 1 or 2 ships.

Check your final payment date...  We have a cruise in August, with final payment due in early May, but someone on our roll call said that date had been extended until the end of June;  I haven't checked my own details yet, but will.  It would give us a little more time to make  a decision.  

Thanks everyone!  This is most helpful and affirming.  I had not thought of potential repositioning and changes of posted itineraries, but it seems inevitable.  Part of the fun of travel is the planning and anticipation.  Given the current circumstances anticipation has become anxiety and planning is all but impossible.  We will sit tight for a few more weeks and let you know how things turn out for us.  I really appreciate the thoughtful comments.

• Like 1

Nieuw Amsterdam is currently anchored in the Bahamas.  I doubt it will cross to Europe this year barring a dramatic change in the situation.

If you booked through a T/A you might want to contact them.  I was able to update my December booking this week quite promptly and I know they needed to 'talk' to someone at HAL to get that done.  Perhaps the T/A can obtain an extension to use your 'expiring' FCC?

Hope this helps!

The cruise may not be cancelled but many of the ports may well be closed.  We would not want to sign up for a Med cruise only to find out that we would end up with more sea days than port days.

We would consider any cruise in 2020.   And even the back end of 2021 is highly questionable for us.  Far too many unknowns at this point in time.

Edited by iancal

If HAL cancels, do you get your money back or just more cruise credits? I would take cash over credits. I do not expect the pandemic to be over soon, might have to wait for a vaccine or a reliable treatment for covid-19 and I do not expect one in 2021. If Carnival Corporation declares bankruptcy, as I expect many businesses and individuals will have to, the cruise credits will be worthless.

Would suggest you get your money back. The grapevine indicates Carnival may be planning for very long layup of many ships....not short, ready-to-go, layups.  I would guess we will be looking an a strange new world when it comes to cruising...whenever that is.

51 minutes ago, whogo said:

If HAL cancels, do you get your money back or just more cruise credits? I would take cash over credits. I do not expect the pandemic to be over soon, might have to wait for a vaccine or a reliable treatment for covid-19 and I do not expect one in 2021. If Carnival Corporation declares bankruptcy, as I expect many businesses and individuals will have to, the cruise credits will be worthless.

You typically have a choice.... cash refund of cruise cost, or 125% of base cruise amount as a future cruise credit.

Edited by TJR_0323

I would want my money refunded.

I would not want an FCC for the simple reason that restrictions on it's use would limit us, among other things, to a specific time frame and to that one cruise line.

For example, I find it ridiculous that one condition is that I cannot apply it to a cruise deposit.  I would not be happy if I had an 8K FCC but then was asked to pony up several hundred or thousand more for the deposit on another cruise.   It is akin to your bank telling you that you cannot pay your bank credit card with the money in your checking account.   The FCC program is, IMHO, extremely one sided in favor of the cruise line.-as one would expect. 

I would much rather have a full refund and then, at a later date, be free to select a cruise on any cruise line of my choice, at a then competitive price,   and in the time frame of my choice.  Or not at all.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Cash is king. I am optimistic and enjoy cruising but we have cancelled several 2020 cruises (and are still waiting for refunds).

A 'negative' to cruising is the relative restrictive nature of deposit/refund terms. Why throw yourself into the uncertainty of a future cruise booking?  IMHO the risk/reward is not there. Even if the cruise proceeds it is likely that itineraries will change and I think it goes without saying that very stringent embarkation (health) standards will be set. Bankruptcy is another challenge/ reality. I really don't want to worry about this and it greatly reduces one's ability to 'enjoy' a vacation (IMHO). 

We have been fortunate to enjoy many fantastic cruises and my wife convinced me it is more prudent to wait awhile (maybe several years) before engaging in this wonderful vacation option.

• April 29, 2009
  •  
  • 2,179 posts

Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020. Spain will follow. France will do the same.... 

We already know it well: No cruising (Europe/TA) till April 2021 at best...

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year

34 minutes ago, stan vermeers said:
  •  
  • April 29, 2009
  •  
  • 2,179 posts

Italy will stay closed to tourists till the end of 2020. Spain will follow. France will do the same.... 

https://nation.com.pk/26-Apr-2020/italy-to-remain-closed-for-tourism-until-end-of-year

At this stage stating this as a fact would be premature.  Way too much can happen over the next few months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stan vermeers said:
  •  
  • April 29, 2009
  •  
  • 2,179 posts

Nothing definitive announced for Italy or Spain yet.  I would not put any faith in a website based in Pakistan, thank you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Someone told me that Italy will not be opening up to cruises till next April. Can anyone confirm this?

Where did the "someone" hear or read that ?  Whomever the source is would be a good indicator if it's true.   

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 1

Well to report back - though my cruise was cancelled more than a week ago - my FCC that I put as a deposit and those "extra" OBC's from the prior cruise are not showing yet under my mariner number.  I have faith and my travel agent agrees that we will make sure HAL honors what I was supposed to get. 🤞

5 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Where did the "someone" hear or read that ?  Whomever the source is would be a good indicator if it's true.   

It was supposedly on one of these boards. That's why I am asking - wanted to confirm, not spread rumors.

Don't put any money toward a cruise until you know what the experience is going to be like. Such as health requirements, what happens if there is an outbreak and will you be allowed to return to a port if there is an outbreak. Too many unknowns including if HAL or any cruise line can survive an extended shut down.

It will be very difficult to sail from Civi if, as Italy has apparently announced, their borders will be closed to foreigners for the rest of the year.

This could change of course.  I believe that the cruise lines are well aware of when cruises will really start.  No doubt they are saying nothing in the hopes that those with deposits actually make final payments.  After that the cruise line will attempt to hold on to the money and the customer by promoting FCC's.  And if some cruisers cancel inside the cancellation window and forfeit a portion of their fare as penalty...so be it.

We have nothing booked.  But we would not consider giving any cruise line a dime of our money at this point in time-deposit or final payment.

Edited by iancal

Thank you for all the thoughtful comments.  We really have nothing to lose at this point as we only have a refundable deposit on the line and we are well within the final payment window.  Totally agree that handing over a big sum of money is not a wise move at this time.  This discussion has definitely confirmed my decision to cancel as all of the uncertainty takes the pleasure out of trip planning.  Thank you for the update on your FCCs, Vermuel T.  I'm sure we will encounter some push back on extending our grace period for our FCC, so hopefully our TA will be proactive on our behalf.  She has been very helpful so far but times are tough for all in the travel business.   Let's hope for significant progress on treatments and vaccines.  Stay well.