Cruises Cancelled Through End of June

mrlevin

2 hours ago, mrstanley said:

I don't understand why anyone from the UK would want to book a cruise with Regent since the cancelation policy for

those citizens is really awful. Way too much money to loose.

The whole ethos in the UK is totally different to US. In Britain the TA has ABTA and ATOL protection which are Gov't backed schemes which support your booking with the travel companies and airlines. You also have consumer protection via credit and debit cards, but to offset this the non-refund deposit is much higher which stops you backing out , we are also better protected if the Government issues advice not be travel  to a certain area or country and then no penalty applies.. Just different cultures, most Brits have a different attitude to insurance as well, I had not heard of this all reasons back out , do not believe it's available at a sensible price on the UK. I have even found that the top cover on my travel insurance would never pay out the cost of a 22/23 day Regent B2B that we have done twice.

Now covid-19 is excluded from all new policies in terms of paying out and disputes with existing policies will because law sorted out in the High Court.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree but under an  extremely unknown confusing pandemic time I would think that Regent would offer anyone booked on the cruise and paying in full,  the same options as anyone else regardless of the date of the “change” in policy.  That seems fair

They should have made it retroactive.  Again, not fair

But they seem happy to lose future cruisers by being inflexible.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dabarton said:

Under normal circumstances, I would agree but under an  extremely unknown confusing pandemic time I would think that Regent would offer anyone booked on the cruise and paying in full,  the same options as anyone else regardless of the date of the “change” in policy.  That seems fair

They should have made it retroactive.  Again, not fair

But they seem happy to lose future cruisers by being inflexible.    

There are many others in your same position.  People on our cruise canceled 2-4 days prior to embarkation (and this was before Covid-19 became a pandemic).  There were some signs that the cruise could be cancelled.  By now, everyone should know not to cancel and to wait until Regent cancels the cruise in order to get the 125% FCC's or a refund.  As mentioned, Regent currently loses money with passengers that cancel within a certain timeframe.  Without Regent's new policy, the only option was to cancel and pay the normal penalty.  However, with the new policy you received FCC's.  Making exceptions is not in Regent's best interest right now.

The bottom line is you chose to cancel.  Passengers from our sailing wish that they hadn't flown to San Diego before learning that the cruise was cancelled.  One couple that we know had spent a week in San Diego and barely made it back to Europe before flights to and from the EU were stopped.  

Will Regent lose passengers?  Probably but for many reasons - the biggest of which is fear of flying and/or cruising.  Lest I sound insensitive, I am not.  I'm horrified by what is going on in the world.  I hate that people are losing their lives and some end up with lifelong issues after having this virus.  I feel badly for the health care workers and other first responders that are getting sick and/or losing their lives.  There is very little positive going on in the world right now.  

As is often said on CC (not usually by me), the issues we are having are "first world" problems.  We cannot cruise right now and we want to.  We don't want FCC's even though, under normal conditions, people would simply book another cruise and be happy. When I look at the whole picture, I am thankful to be healthy - that my family is healthy (and still working) - and even that I can go on Cruise Critic to give opinions, try to figure out how things will be done going forward.........  For everyone that is reading this, spend just a few seconds to think of what you have to be thankful for during the worst time of our lives.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are right I don’t want to cruise again  But by forcing me to get a FCC I have to cruise again.   Again, not fair!   So, yes, I will go on another cruise which I know is a “first world” problem but business is business and they are making a mistake in their rigid 

“bottom line” decisions.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Thankfully, nothing political has been said prior to your post.  However, it is true that everyone is being blamed for the virus.  I have said repeatedly that this is a worldwide crisis - one that no one was responsible for.  It is how we deal with the crisis that is important.   Once we start wearing masks and keeping our distance, we will be able to resume cruising (as well as having our children go back to school, people going back to work, etc.). 

The one thing that I am guilty of is defending a company that I personally feel has done everything possible for their customers.

Aren't you also guilty of having your nails done during lockdown? Just kidding...

9 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

Aren't you also guilty of having your nails done during lockdown? Just kidding...

Yes - I admitted it but will not do it again.  This morning I did my toenails (myself and did a very poor job).

Note:  Just read another luxury board.  Apparently refunds will not be going out for 6 MONTHS (only FCC's).  Of course, one can wait 6 months if they wish and will eventually get a refund.  Don't want to name the cruise line but it is one of the "big four"

Edited by Travelcat2

5 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - I admitted it but will not do it again.  This morning I did my toenails (myself and did a very poor job).

Note:  Just read another luxury board.  Apparently refunds will not be going out for 6 MONTHS (only FCC's).  Of course, one can wait 6 months if they wish and will eventually get a refund.  Don't want to name the cruise line but it is one of the "big four"

That is actually not true (I think it is fine to say that it is Seabourn you are talking about) - that was just one poster's message based on what their travel agent appears to have incorrectly told them.  That is not the message Seabourn itself, or other travel agents are giving.   Refunds will be provided in a timeframe up to 60 days is the message I have been told.  Presumably they are handling in date order of cancellations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labates629 said:

That is actually not true (I think it is fine to say that it is Seabourn you are talking about) - that was just one poster's message based on what their travel agent appears to have incorrectly told them.  That is not the message Seabourn itself, or other travel agents are giving.   Refunds will be provided in a timeframe up to 60 days is the message I have been told.  Presumably they are handling in date order of cancellations. 

Not trying to start an argument.  Just reporting what I read on a relatively new thread.  Also read (on another Seabourn thread) that someone stated "56 days and counting".  We have yet to reach the 60 day mark on most cancellations.  I'll check back in a few days.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not trying to start an argument.  Just reporting what I read on a relatively new thread.  Also read (on another Seabourn thread) that someone stated "56 days and counting".  We have yet to reach the 60 day mark on most cancellations.  I'll check back in a few days.

Just compare the Regent spreadsheet with the Seabourn spread sheet and they are very comparable both with several ovr the 60 day mark.  And, the poster on Seabourn this is his very first post from a most likely unfamiliar TA in Belgium.

Not a very reliable combination to quote. and extremely new started only 13 hours ago.

5 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Just compare the Regent spreadsheet with the Seabourn spread sheet and they are very comparable both with several ovr the 60 day mark.  And, the poster on Seabourn this is his very first post from a most likely unfamiliar TA in Belgium.

Not a very reliable combination to quote. and extremely new started only 13 hours ago.

I get it - misinformation all over the place!  The subject stuck out.  So, the thread is not any more true Regent going out of business.

37 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not trying to start an argument.  Just reporting what I read on a relatively new thread.  Also read (on another Seabourn thread) that someone stated "56 days and counting".  We have yet to reach the 60 day mark on most cancellations.  I'll check back in a few days.

Thank you for sharing.  We look forward to your return in a few days.

Silversea just updated their cruise start dates.  Why is NCLH still doing one date for all 28 ships across all three lines instead of addressing the peculiarities of each ship and each itinerary.  Here is the Silversea update:

Silver Cloud:
•     E4200720016 - Silver Cloud will set sail on July 20, 2020
Silver Wind:
•     SW200720012 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from July 20, 2020
Silver Shadow:
•     SS200726007 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from July 26, 2020
Silver Spirit:
•     SL200717010 - Silver Spirit will set sail on July 17, 2020
Silver Muse:
•     SM200716007 - From July 16, 2020, Silver Muse will resume sailing
Silver Whisper:
•     WH200718009 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from July 18, 2020
Silver Explorer:
•     E1200723018 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from July 23, 2020

Silver Cloud is slated to do Arctic Canada and Northwest Passage which will not be allowed by Canadian Government so their start date will be delayed many months while ship relocated to South America for Antarctica.  Very unlikely that Silver Explorer will do Northeast Passage Nome to Tromso so they, too, will have to drastically alter their schedule and then find out if New Zealand will let them into the country in early December.

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

5 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

July cruises are now showing as “waitlisted” on US Regent site.  Expect they will be cancelled shortly.

Saw that; wondered why they didn't make all Alaska cruises "waitlist" as starting season in August would be a little strange; all the start up costs for minimal return.

Marc

30 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Saw that; wondered why they didn't make all Alaska cruises "waitlist" as starting season in August would be a little strange; all the start up costs for minimal return.

Marc

That would start the 90 day refund window....they can hold on to the cash another 30 days if they wait to cancel...which they will.

14 minutes ago, wcsdkqh said:

Actually wait listing a cruise would not start the so-called 90 day window. Actual cancellation would start the 90 day clock.

Don't believe there is anything resembling a 90 day window or clock.  Refunds will be made once the refund is internally processed and then after the bean counters release the refund to the credit card company.

It is simply a number used to provide a somewhat possilbe date.  After all there appear to be more requests for refund coming in than refunds going out so any timeframe for processing simply has to  to get longer as other have commented just cannot stay at the same number of days as requests increase to many more than money going out.

So, trying to determine when that so called clock starts or when you will receive your refund is an effort in futility only to use for an earliest ETA..

3 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Marc

What would be the start up costs of an Alaska cruise season?  All I can think of is the cost of getting Mariner to Vancouver. 

37 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

What would be the start up costs of an Alaska cruise season?  All I can think of is the cost of getting Mariner to Vancouver. 

Port reps in each port stop, transportation on both ends, provisioning of ships, arranging for crew.  With loads probably under 40% doesn't make much sense (imo).  And if you looked at the 1st quarter financials, NCLH has hedged almost all their fuel costs so fuel very expensive.

Marc

PS NCLH (and RCL) are playing chicken with the Canadian government right now; they want Canada to force the closure of Alaska season so that force majeure clauses in supplier contracts are initiated.

Edited by mrlevin

38 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Mariner will not be going to Alaska until next year.  Canada has cancelled Alaska season.

34 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Mariner will not be going to Alaska until next year.  Canada has cancelled Alaska season.

It may well be the case that Mariner will not go to Alaska until next year, but Canada hasn't "cancelled the Alaska season".  At the moment, Canadian ports are closed to cruise ships (>500 pax+crew) until July 1 per federal orders.  That date is under review and could be changed. 

In BC, the Provincial Health Officer announced on May 12 that even if cruise ships arrived in any BC port in July,  pax+crew would be under 14 day quarantine and wouldn't be able to come ashore.

https://www.vancourier.com/cruise-ships-told-not-to-stop-in-b-c-in-july-1.24134016

40 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

In BC, the Provincial Health Officer announced on May 12 that even if cruise ships arrived in any BC port in July,  pax+crew would be under 14 day quarantine and wouldn't be able to come ashore.

Canada Day is still a long way away; anything can change.  She didn't say they couldn't come just that under the "current" rules anyone flying into Vancouver to board the ship will need 14 day isolation period (of course border closed now so moot).  Also, isn't she an appointee not elected?  Can an appointee actually make laws?  Or, has she been deputized by statute (same as has been done for CDC in USA) to mandate enforceable laws/rules?

I really want Canada to unequivocally say no to cruising this summer so my cruise will get cancelled and I can start making alternate plans.  I don't want to get caught in a game between Primer Minister (opening border at some point) and Premier (saying no way).

MightyQuinn, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Marc

32 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Can an appointee actually make laws?  Or, has she been deputized by statute (same as has been done for CDC in USA) to mandate enforceable laws/rules?

I really want Canada to unequivocally say no to cruising this summer so my cruise will get cancelled and I can start making alternate plans.  I don't want to get caught in a game between Primer Minister (opening border at some point) and Premier (saying no way).

The Provincial Health Officer (PHO) provides advice to ministers and other elected officials on public health and also has the ability to issue mandatory orders.  To date, the PHO in BC has issued COVID orders on matters such as size of gatherings, restaurant/bar closures, farmer markets and traveller quarantine.  If necessary, these orders are enforced by local governments to ensure a consistent effort across the province.

BC has been very aggressive and successful in containing COVID and our premier feels that BC ports should remain closed to cruise ships.  Premiers in other provinces with cruise ship ports also think so.  That call belongs to the Prime Minister but I wouldn't bet against it happening.  The real unknown is timing.

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

Port reps in each port stop, transportation on both ends, provisioning of ships, arranging for crew.  With loads probably under 40% doesn't make much sense (imo).  And if you looked at the 1st quarter financials, NCLH has hedged almost all their fuel costs so fuel very expensive.

Marc

PS NCLH (and RCL) are playing chicken with the Canadian government right now; they want Canada to force the closure of Alaska season so that force majeure clauses in supplier contracts are initiated.

I will stipulate in advance to my general ignorance of the cruise line business. 

That being said, the expenses you mentioned look to me to be generic costs of getting going again that will be incurred whenever cruising is restarted. What is different about Alaska cruising?  How is starting the Alaska season different than starting a Caribbean season?

I know Canadian ports are closed for now. I suspect that is true of many Caribbean ports as well. My question is about financial costs of starting a cruise season, not border issues.