Gift Card Refunds (3/13 - Present)

jas1178

14 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

If past precedent holds, were Carnval to declare bankruptcy, customers and shareholders would be at the bottom of the list.  That is the reason the recent taking on of new debt was NOT good news for customers and shareholders, in my opinion.

No that’s actually good news because Carnival has enough cash to operate in their limited capacity for the remainder of the year if needed. Of course the sooner the better..

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 1:40 PM, biomedbob said:

I booked a cruise yesterday for us and 2 grandkids.  The school has since restructured the kids school calander and we can't do those dates.  We made a $600.00 deposit with a refunded gift card and today they say if we cancel there will be a $300.00 penalty.   What gives?

That exact scenario happened to me.  We were each charged $100 when I rebooked.  I think it showed up as an "administration fee".   This was right before the s**t hit the fan, in early January. 

On 5/2/2020 at 5:02 PM, klfrodo said:

Dang.

If Carnival has to file for Chapter 11 Reorginization, those gift cards could have $0 value.

But, hey, you saved 10% 😉

The CEO of Carnival has stated that Carnival Corporation has enough funds at this time to be solvent into the first quarter of 2021 if necessary, even with practically no money coming in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

The CEO of Carnival has stated that Carnival Corporation has enough funds at this time to be solvent into the first quarter of 2021 if necessary, even with practically no money coming in.

Then why did they go out and borrow more debt?

Besides,,, Filing a Chapter 11 reorganization has nothing to do with how much money you have in the bank. It just gives you an opportunity to "reorganize" your debt. Clear out the dead wood.

Chapter 7, shuts everything down and sells everything off.

Edited by klfrodo

On 5/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, pcvtmom said:

You understood perfectly.  My cruise manager indicates that I owe the full amount, so nothing has been transferred as FCC.  That's the problem.  I don't need a refund, just apply the FCC.

They have to manually transfer those gift cards from one booking to the other.  CALL THEM BACK.  Make them take care of it while you are on the phone.  If your PVP doesn't know how to do it, insist that he call a supervisor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jas1178 said:

Anyone receive giftcard shipments yet?

I'm still waiting....and as of today, I've had 3 cruises cancelled now. 

Seriously concerned that Carnival's accounting #'s and mine are not going to match up when/if the gift card refunds start to flow.  Their methodology (to me anyway) for slicing/dicing the refunds can be difficult to follow.  For example, for a cruise cancelled during the penalty period, the penalty amount went as a FCC (I elected to take the FCC), while the balance would be refunded.  Great! ...so far...but, then they say that excursions, gratuities, port taxes, etc come from a different department so you will receive two refunds for the same cruise...one for the cruise fare and the other for all the "incidentals".

Now multiply that by 3 (for each cruise that I've had cancelled), factor in all the delays in distributing refunds (of any kind), and my concern grows.

Hope they don't cancel through September too as I have two more cruises scheduled then...and really don't want to deal with the financial gymnastics associated with 5 cancelled cruises which were all paid for 100% with gift cards.

Garnett

Edited by N7786W Flyer

We took the fcc for our 3/14 cancelled cruise, and transferred that over, but excursions, cruise cash, and drink packages are supposed to be refunded as GC, but I have yet to see any.  I am guessing it is because of the shipping involved and nobody is in the office to ship them, since they are mainly working from home.

3 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

They have to manually transfer those gift cards from one booking to the other.  CALL THEM BACK.  Make them take care of it while you are on the phone.  If your PVP doesn't know how to do it, insist that he call a supervisor.

I will definitely do this!  Unfortunately, with the latest round of cancellations, it is SWAMPED.  My new cruise isn't until 2021, so I guess I'll try to be a little more patient...😣!

57 minutes ago, rukkian said:

We took the fcc for our 3/14 cancelled cruise, and transferred that over, but excursions, cruise cash, and drink packages are supposed to be refunded as GC, but I have yet to see any.  I am guessing it is because of the shipping involved and nobody is in the office to ship them, since they are mainly working from home.

Good point...I hadn't considered this.  It may be quite a while before we see the gift card refunds.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Garnett

3/13 Late March cruise cancelled by Carnival

3/18 Rebooked and all payments (made with gift cards) transferred to new cruise, in one day but 2 separate transactions, except $89.98 for FTTF, also paid for by gift card.

5/5 Fed Ex delivered 89.98 Carnival gift card.

As of today, 5/5/20, all amounts paid now accounted for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

3/18 Rebooked and all payments (made with gift cards) transferred to new cruise, in one day but 2 separate transactions, except $89.98 for FTTF, also paid for by gift card.

Good news!  Happy that you've been made whole...now if they can just get to me..😏

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Not even 60 days, very encouraging!!!

50 minutes ago, N7786W Flyer said:

Good news!  Happy that you've been made whole...now if they can just get to me..😏

I hope they will.

42 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Not even 60 days, very encouraging!!!

Don't know if you're old enough to remember Joan Baez's Diamonds and Rust, but ever since the Fed Ex delivery fellow showed up on my porch, "Well I'll be damned, here comes your ghost again," has been going through my mind.

Now I have to decide whether to make June final payment on my September cruise.

My sister just got GC from our 3/14 magic cruise that got cancelled while we were in the air.  This was for for some of her excursions, but at least it means they are starting to process them.

I jumped the gun slightly and cancelled my 6/28 cruise in in mid April when they cancelled all cruises thru 6/26.   Kinda felt like I was getting into a bad spot.   There were thousands of people who had just been cancelled, most looking to get the FCC and OBC.   I could just see all the good cabins being taken when they finally got around to cancelling mine (which happened 5/4).   I was willing to take the chance that they would sail, so that I could assure myself a cabin I wanted next year.   Well that all worked out for me as I expected.   While I will get the OBC, I won't get FCC cause I cancelled and was getting a refund.

Since I paid for everything on this years cruise with gift cards, I am waiting on nearly $4,000 worth of refund in gift cards.   Needless to say, I'm a bit anxious and very happy to see reports of gift card refunds showing up trickling in!!

52 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

So, for those getting refunds via gift cards, they'll get a stack of gift cards equal to the cost of the cruise? I'm thinking those gift cards could also be used for a future cruise, so it's kind of like a future cruise credit. Am I right with that thinking? I paid for both of my cruises with gift cards right before AARP shut their doors to gift cards last year.

Yes, if you paid with gift cards and elected to take a refund, that refund will come in the form of more gift cards.  If I remember correctly, Carnival can load as much as $2000 on each gift card, so conceivably, the refund may be one or more gift cards depending upon the total $ being refunded.

Garnett

On 5/3/2020 at 3:10 AM, Treyatl2006 said:

It makes no sense to get a refund if you paid by giftcards. You might as well get the fcc with the $600 obc. 

Well my logic is the FCC has an expiration date and the gift cards do not.  Easy decision for me!

We also paid for a large portion of our July 2020 cruise with gift cards.  We opted for the FCC with $600 per room OBC.  We want to rebook for July 2021, but my husband won't rebook until we get the gift cards back from Carnival.  Our trip was just cancelled last week, so I was wondering how long we'll be waiting.  Sounds like it could be quite a long time.  It's comforting to know that we aren't the only ones in this position.  I have an impatient hubby who keeps insisting that I call Carnival, and I keep trying to remind him that we don't really have a question or a problem and that calling isn't going to do us any good.  I'll be glad to share what y'all have said.  Thank you!