Celebration leaves the fleet.

20 minutes ago, Miller Cruiser said:

It seems that Celebration has left with immediate effect. Ted James, cruise director with Marella, has just posted his goodbyes. Sad to see her go. Many happy memories of her, alongside her sister ship, Spirit.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/marella-cancels-sailings-until-end-of-june-22672

Yes confirmed this morning.

Sad to see her go indeed was due to be on her in july but it put forward till next year due to corona and paid £400 deposit last week only for this to happen, remains to be seen if i get my cash back or a credit note. Liked the old ship i did

On 4/29/2020 at 5:44 PM, Miller Cruiser said:

It seems that Celebration has left with immediate effect. Ted James, cruise director with Marella, has just posted his goodbyes. Sad to see her go. Many happy memories of her, alongside her sister ship, Spirit.

That`s disturbing news as I am (was!) booked to go on Celebration April 2021. We haven`t been informed of this officially by Marella. Has anyone else ?

Assuming this news to be true though does anyone know what usually happens in this situation ? Is there even a precedent ?

I have already paid in full, amended booking from my cancelled April 2020 cruise.

I sailed her in 1988 when she was Holland America's Noordam.  She (and her sister ship. the Nieuw Amsterdam - now the Marella Spirit ) were constructed at a time when HAL was cash strapped and looking for a buyer, which eventually was Carnival Corp.  Those two ships were outliers - at the time we thought they were conversions of cross-channel ferries - but they admirably carried on the HAL tradition.  I have fond memories of her.  Wherever she sails next, may the seas be calm and the journey be safe.    There is no doubt in my mind that these two ships  - and the Westerdam (now Marella Spirit) saved HAL at a time when its fortunes were in peril.

I think Spirit was scrapped some time ago and Celebrations fate will probably be the same. I was told the ships were conversions of partially constructed container ships which were going cheap in a previous recession.

Sad to hear about Celebration, we were hoping to sail on her once again in the Adriatic. I wouldn't be surprised if Dream doesn't follow and Marella just operate the newer ships until things pick up which could be a very long time.  Let's hope that the vaccine is tested and distributed quickly because I can't  see anything happening until then.

With you dronnygirl,think the dream will follow shortly although hope not.We were due to cruise on her in a few weeks and were hoping for another opportunity before shes retired

Edited by Jim The Scot

Jim, I think you could be correct. 

They may run possibly three or four ships this year maybe from August. But from which ports and more importantly which regional airports. 

Given the que normally at corfu Airport you have to think its more than likely it and naples may be dropped. But who knows. 

What are everyone's guesses. 

In the mail today they have a great feature on what the future may look like for holidays and cruises etc. 2021 is being noted as a best case start in some sort of new normal 

Keep safe everyone 

Hard to say what will sail? 3 ships, 4 ships of 2 perhaps. 

I really don't beleive they will sail from naples or corfu

We sail ex corfu October who knows. 

One of the staff still saying he is back 26th June, currently home in the phillipines. But the contract does not specify ship. Its a 9 month contract. So who knows 

Could we possibly see them retire the Celebration & Dream and then replace with a discovery 3 or Explorer 3 (one not both!)? Slightly newer ships which could drive down running costs? Also I’m sure RCL would be happy to pass on one of their older vessels at a time like this.  Just a thought.

12 hours ago, FIFE1 said:

Jim, I think you could be correct. 

They may run possibly three or four ships this year maybe from August. But from which ports and more importantly which regional airports. 

Given the que normally at corfu Airport you have to think its more than likely it and naples may be dropped. But who knows. 

What are everyone's guesses. 

In the mail today they have a great feature on what the future may look like for holidays and cruises etc. 2021 is being noted as a best case start in some sort of new normal 

Keep safe everyone 

Hi Fife

Wish I could share your optimism regard cruising come August

We considered moving our cancelled cruise this month to this August, same intinerary but have now decided not to as cant see anyway it,ll be happening.Even if it was,would we be comfortable going?Not really

We have family holiday booked to Orlando in October but cant see that going ahead either and again if it is we have to taken into consideration if we are comfortable in going before we pay the balance in July.As it stands,thinking of cancelling and losing our deposits but no big deal

17 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

Could we possibly see them retire the Celebration & Dream and then replace with a discovery 3 or Explorer 3 (one not both!)? Slightly newer ships which could drive down running costs? Also I’m sure RCL would be happy to pass on one of their older vessels at a time like this.  Just a thought.

Think it’s very likely, it’ll make sense. Can’t see both costing much at this time, if anything.

32 minutes ago, anchorweight said:

Think it’s very likely, it’ll make sense. Can’t see both costing much at this time, if anything.

I don’t really know how it works, because obviously it would be a transfer from RCL/TUI and not necessarily a “sale”. I know RCL is already selling Grandeur of the seas, I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and get rid of a few more of their vision class. Maybe rhapsody for Marella?

On 4/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, mainelycruising said:

Those two ships were outliers - at the time we thought they were conversions of cross-channel ferries - but they admirably carried on the HAL tradition. 

They were newly built ships and not conversions to the best of my knowledge.  HAL was in need of a major cash infusion in order to maintain operating.  You are correct that Carnival Corporation's purchase of the Company saved HAL.  I sailed on Noordam not long after CCL had purchased HAL and enjoyed my usual HAL cruise experience.  It's sad to see the ship's life come to an end.  I fear that is going to be the story of many of the other "older ladies of the sea" before this pandemic ends.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, so,ton saint said:

Celebration on the move of the Portuguese coast heading for Barcelona,     (ref cruise mapper)

Sad times but fond memories first meet her April 2006 then September, same year, for our anniversary and many times since. We still have our regular fix from 2Intense most nights on FB it was thank you for the music tonight from ABBA. It is helping at the moment. 🤗

19 hours ago, Brummijam said:

She’s left Malta traveling south east, Is this her final trip to the Indian breakers yard?😪

Bit of Deja Vu with the Island Escape.  5 years back. 

The Next will be the Dream in 2 / 3 years time..its a never ending roller coaster of sailing and getting to its end of Life on the seas.