Comment on my strategy for final payment

FlaMariner

So final payment is on 5/25 for our August Alaska cruise.

HAL still owes us $500 (govt fees) and our FCC from our cancelled April cruise (Canada/NE).

If the $500 refund and the FCC have not been processed by 5/25 (Final Payment), what if I tell the TA to only pay the difference and tell HAL that they need to use my $500 and my FCC to complete the purchase?

I'm really not interested in having $$$ out for 2 cruises.  

2 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

HAL still owes us $500 (govt fees) and our FCC from our cancelled April cruise (Canada/NE).

If the $500 refund and the FCC have not been processed by 5/25 (Final Payment), what if I tell the TA to only pay the difference and tell HAL that they need to use my $500 and my FCC to complete the purchase?

I had a final payment date for May 24.  This was for a cruise out of Boston.  I cancelled the cruise and asked for refund of money I put down.  I too am waiting on a FCC from a cancelled March cruise.  I will rebook the cruise once I get monies back and I see ships sailing.  I don’t need air as I can drive to the port.  I expect pricing to become much more favorable after final payment date.

Sure. I would certainly try that and see if they will work with you. I would do it well in advance of any deadlines so if it turns out negatively, you will still have time to make a decision about what you do next.

I certainly would not consider giving any cruise line a dime if I had either a refund or an FCC waiting to be processed. 

Really, how much  sense does that make?  Almost as much as a cruise line asking one for a cruise deposit when there are monies sitting in an FCC. 

I believe the various cruise lines that are doing this must think that their customers are a bunch of patsies....or sheep.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, iancal said:

I believe the various cruise lines that are doing this must think that their customers are a bunch of patsies....or sheep.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. How would you suggest they raise more money?  Of course most of us wouldn't do it, but I don't fault them for trying....I do want my $18,000 back however they do it. 

Raise it in the market place and pay the going rate like all other responsible  businesses.  Or issue and sell  more  stock like other businesses do.   And then issue and  sell even  more stock.  Or look for a buyer with deep pockets, lots of cash, and a penchant for the deep blue sea.

Bottom line...if they cannot do that then they are well on their way to some form of administration/bankruptcy.  I would want my money before that occurs.   Being an unsecured creditor of a cruise line is not what I characterize  as an attribute of brand loyalty.   Other cruise lines in history have been there before and the end result was the same.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 9:39 AM, FlaMariner said:

Have your TA call accounting at Holland America and have them transfer the $500 to your Alaska cruise.  You need to make sure your port taxes and fees are covered with "New" money, either from your deposit funds or the $500 due as your refund.  They should be able to also apply your FCC at that time.  However, last we spoke with Holland, they seemed pretty confident the April cancellations would be processed by Mid  May.  If you transfer the whole $500 and your FCC would cover the balance due, they should be able to refund you the overage up to that $500 max.  Did I confuse you.....just tell your TA to call Holland and they will work it out.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be so sure that your refund will be that soon.  I cancelled mid-March and they are telling me maybe the refund will appear in mid-May.  I don't think anybody from the March cancellations has received their refunds yet so I wouldn't be too optimistic about April yet.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments.......

If HAL has no interest in crediting my cancelled April cruise $ (govt fees & FCC) for an August cruise, I'm not sure I'll be able to sail with them. 

Final payment is 5/25 for a 8/29 cruise.

I'll wait until mid May and send over the request to my TA.  I'll report back my results.  Should be interesting.

Smooth sailing all, when we can.

48 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Thanks for all the comments.......

If HAL has no interest in crediting my cancelled April cruise $ (govt fees & FCC) for an August cruise, I'm not sure I'll be able to sail with them. 

Final payment is 5/25 for a 8/29 cruise.

I'll wait until mid May and send over the request to my TA.  I'll report back my results.  Should be interesting.

Smooth sailing all, when we can.

I am looking forward to reading your report as I have a similiar situation.

I would suspect that customers who select the FCC option will  get processing preference.   Those who select the cash refund option will most likely be at the back of the line when it comes to processing their accounts.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, MNMNFTLAUDERDALE said:

I had a final payment due 5/25 for an  8/15 cruise.  I received notice the final payment was moved to 6/15 and read HAL was moving all its final payments to 60 days before sailing.   No?

That's good...and leaves more time for all this to sort out.....

I have not been notified by TA or HAL that my final payment date has changed.

44 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We have an Alaska trip that's scheduled to depart 8/29.  When I go to My Account on HAL's website and select the "Manage Payment" option, on the Make a Payment page, on the BALANCE DUE line, it shows a Balance Due date of June 30.

image.png.c51ba87346091e5ac437b53167f4384d.png

Edited by jm485

53 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Be careful.  Please verify the cancellation date.  I think they have not changed.

5 hours ago, MNMNFTLAUDERDALE said:

The due date on My Account was changed to 60 days before sailing....maybe just me?   Who really thinks we'll be in Alaska in August?

So I checked my "cruise confirmation" from the TA online site (VTG) and the date has not changed for final payment 5/25....I'm going to ask.

My bet today is 60-40 the ship will not sail.

Well, cruise cancelled. Problem solved. Got the email yesterday evening.  

So the deposit was a Future Cruise Deposit (bought while onboard) and the email states that they will double the amount deposited if you choose FCC.  Not sure how all that will fall out.

Also, thought it was interesting the email had me listed as a 2 star Mariner.....I worked hard for my 3 stars and sailed as a 3 star last year....Not sure what's up with that.

We are up to our eyeballs in FCC......hope Carnival Corp holds on!

Time to start looking at 2021.

• Like 1