Carnival using 18 ships to repatriate crew

jimbo5544

Everybody is an expert in hindsight. There is still more to learn about the virus than is known. Some are also conspiracy theorists.

Nobody knows what home ports or cruise ports will be open at the end of June, or if airlines will be dependable. Or many parts of the supply chain. The cruise lines have no crystal ball. Some cruises may go and some won't. Likely some will have new itineraries or an itinerary that changes on the fly.

Expecting things to return to normal is a pipe dream. There will be a new, and as yet, undefined normal. People who don't like change will have to get over it. Or not.

4 hours ago, GA Dave said:

Your last statement is most likely.  All of the cruise lines are in desperate need of cash.  If they keep accepting deposits for cruises they know will not sail, and then tell people it will be at least 90 days to get a refund, the customers become short-term lenders for them.

We have a winner.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The mass media headlines are disgusting.  "Crew Trapped on Ships".. 

Ummm, can I be trapped on a ship ? At least I would have a different place to go on the ship, instead of living room, kitchen, living room, bedroom, living room... LOL   Look at all that exercise!- All those stairs.  Have the chef teach me on how to make specialty dish.  Have some of the other crew members Retts Stone another and teach me another language.  I know, I know, working on ship is a lot different than cruising. 

On 5/3/2020 at 7:43 AM, N7786W Flyer said:

From what I can see, Carnival has approximately 20 ships scheduled to sail either on June 27, 28, or 29...don't see how it gonna happen with these crew reductions, but then again, I'm not privy to inside information....who knows, they may have this all figured out...OR they know they're not going to sail on 6/27, 28, or 29th.

Time will tell.

Sound like at the time of all the crew repatriations, they knew they weren't going to sail in June. 

I know these are challenging times for all the cruise lines, including Carnival, but a little more transparency would be most welcome....just MHO...

Garnett

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 12:46 PM, N7786W Flyer said:

Sound like at the time of all the crew repatriations, they knew they weren't going to sail in June. 

I know these are challenging times for all the cruise lines, including Carnival, but a little more transparency would be most welcome....just MHO...

Garnett

"Yes" to more transparency.
Also, some better efficiency would be mighty good about now:

https://crew-center.com/crew-member-goes-overboard-regal-princess

On 5/2/2020 at 5:21 PM, jimbo5544 said:

The issue was in demanding that these be charters, pretty close to unattainable.  

Except Wamos was running charter flights from most of the major cruise ports to MNL via MAD starting about 6 weeks ago, these ran for 3 weeks straight using 5 747's. 

With Wamos formally being part of RCL I'm going to guess the charters were for them, but who knows.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jetwet1 said:

Except Wamos was running charter flights from most of the major cruise ports to MNL via MAD starting about 6 weeks ago, these ran for 3 weeks straight using 5 747's. 

With Wamos formally being part of RCL I'm going to guess the charters were for them, but who knows.

The logistics were over whelming, untenable, look at the total numbers of employees 30,000 plus, the coordination effort, getting the docs cleared, the passports all major cruise lines. Etc etc etc     

Edited by jimbo5544

26 minutes ago, jetwet1 said:

Do you?

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do you?

Nope, except when it comes down to it, there is only one reason to fly from New Orleans to Manila and back, the same can be said for  Jacksonville and LAX, even though PR is on that route it still went via MAD.

Now of course a 747 has no where near the capacity of a cruise liner, they seat between 455and 529 people, that works out to roughly 1000 a week.

6 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts keep coming out ... faster than Team Chihuahua can crank up its spin machine.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article242673546.html

More name calling and no reply bashing, not related to Carnival. 

Edited by jimbo5544

40 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

From that headline " Breaking news"

Not everyone is happy.

This is a surprise.

True, and the majority are happy and have posted so online.  Bashers with agendas cherry pick.

8 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

The facts keep coming out ... faster than Team Chihuahua can crank up its spin machine.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article242673546.html

Thanks for sharing this article.  I found it interesting reading, even though not much of it was about Carnival Corp. or its ships.  It's a reminder of how difficult it is to juggle the needs and wants of all the cruise lines, all the crew, and all the countries involved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing this article.  I found it interesting reading, even though not much of it was about Carnival Corp. or its ships.  It's a reminder of how difficult it is to juggle the needs and wants of all the cruise lines, all the crew, and all the countries involved.

Almost none of it Carnival, that said it is hard, especially when the cruise lines are fighting the CDC and multiple governments that made these repatriations almost impossible and totally unaffordable.  Carnival came up with a way to solve that using their own ships.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Honolulu Blue -
 Definitely complexity in fixing this mess. Makes you wonder, though, if Arison, Duffy,  Donald and Swartz were the ones stranded for Day 32 (or 52) ... would CCL and the others still be pumping out so many excuses? Or would they come up with the money to do the right thing?
 Carnival has a role here, too:

https://crew-center.com/crew-member-reportedly-commits-suicide-carnival-breeze

1 minute ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Honolulu Blue -
 Definitely complexity in fixing this mess. Makes you wonder, though, if Arison, Duffy,  Donald and Swartz were the ones stranded for Day 32 (or 52) ... would CCL and the others still be pumping out so many excuses? Or would they come up with the money to do the right thing?
 Carnival has a role here, too:

Which CCL ship was stranded.  Answer is....zero

On 5/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, Diggerof4 said:

Ummm, can I be trapped on a ship ? At least I would have a different place to go on the ship, instead of living room, kitchen, living room, bedroom, living room... LOL   Look at all that exercise!- All those stairs.  Have the chef teach me on how to make specialty dish.  Have some of the other crew members Retts Stone another and teach me another language.  I know, I know, working on ship is a lot different than cruising. 

Diggerof4 - You'd think it might be like that. But sadly, that hasn't been the case for long-stranded crew members - not even close:

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/coronavirus/nightmare-at-sea-ends-in-death-for-some-cruise-ship-workers

Philippine Airlines is now running charter flights  MNL-MIA-MNL to repatriate crew. The flight out of MNL was non stop (16 hours), as the first flight hasn't left MIA yet I don't know where they will be stopping on the way back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I really have no idea what you are referring to.

Poster was following up their previous post about an airline flying Manila-> Miami -> Manila.  Aircraft would probably need to stop on the way back after leaving MIA due to heavier load and headwinds.  It is stopping at LAX.

21 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Poster was following up their previous post about an airline flying Manila-> Miami -> Manila.  Aircraft would probably need to stop on the way back after leaving MIA due to heavier load and headwinds.  It is stopping at LAX.

Is this airline bringing back crew?