August Cruise - what to do?

Kastaka

Before all this started I booked a cruise for August. Final payment is due on May 31st. Obviously I'm not very keen on the idea of NCL having more of my money right now, especially given the worrying financial report. What are my options?

• Like 1

We had to make this decision early in April. We cancelled. We still have our airfare/hotels. If cruises by some complete miracle did start again we'd consider still going. If not we'll try to do a land vacation instead (if travel for that is allowed come Aug).

Yes, wait until the last minute. Probably NCL will cancel for you. If not do you actually want to go on the cruise? If so then make the payment. If not, get a refund if that is an option. 

I would not put anymore money down if you don't want to go.

Where is this cruise to?

I suspect absent some kind of miracle cure I wouldn't go anyway, as my lungs aren't the best and I shouldn't be taking risks; I'm just worried to cancel because other people have reported money being taken from them on cancellation.

Cruise is Northern Europe so some of the ports may well have reopened by then, but possibly not to UK people given we're somewhat behind...

3 hours ago, Kastaka said:

Before all this started I booked a cruise for August. Final payment is due on May 31st. Obviously I'm not very keen on the idea of NCL having more of my money right now, especially given the worrying financial report. What are my options?

Your cruise is not likely to sail and even if it does prices will be rock bottom. You should cancel now and hope that NCL has enough cash to give you your deposit back (that is not likely). If it actually sails you can rebook at what will likely be a great price.

Edited by zqvol
  • Like 1

My deposit is quite small so I am not worried about that, but someone in another thread said that they were hit for a 25 percent of total cost cancellation fee and that would not be small... 

13 minutes ago, Kastaka said:

My deposit is quite small so I am not worried about that, but someone in another thread said that they were hit for a 25 percent of total cost cancellation fee and that would not be small... 

There is no penalty for canceling prior to final payment on most bookings.

• Like 1

We are in the same position, sailing 27th August on the Escape.

We booked with a UK travel agent and balance was due 19th May but I asked them if we can delay it and they have agreed to 11th June.

Our flights to Copenhagen are paid in full and non refundable (unless the airline cancel them) and we have a hotel for 3 night in Copenhagen that is refundable.

I keep changing my mind about what to do, but now I'm reading about NCL's financial problems I'm thinking we will cancel. Then if by some miracle, cruises have started up again by August and if our flights aren't cancelled we would possibly look at rebooking if the price was right and if of course we felt we'd be safe to go.

UK booking terms and conditions are different and our deposit is non refundable, (although I think in these circumstances they will give us FCC instead) but we won't we liable for any extra payment, our deposit was only £50 per person so not too much to lose.

• 4 weeks later...

I have successfully cancelled this cruise - the people on the phone were very nice and clearly they're having to do a lot of this, there was no hassle (our deposit went to FCC but it was only a tiny deposit so we're not fussed).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kastaka said:

I have successfully cancelled this cruise - the people on the phone were very nice and clearly they're having to do a lot of this, there was no hassle (our deposit went to FCC but it was only a tiny deposit so we're not fussed).

Good call.  Even if the ship sails, there'd be so many adjustments to "normal cruising" that it might not have been enjoyable (not to mention stressful).

August cruise isn't happening. I know, it sucks. I should be on a cruise right now and it kills me.

Even if by some miracle there are cruises in August, the "new normal" on board (masks, social distancing, etc) will be too depressing. You'll always have the memories of past cruises in your heart, like the memories of a loved one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

My august cruise is still a go

Whatever the new "guidelines" are, I hope you won't be disappointed. Can't begin to imagine what it will be like.

No thanks , too much uncertainty!

21 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Whatever the new "guidelines" are, I hope you won't be disappointed. Can't begin to imagine what it will be like.

No thanks , too much uncertainty!

I can imagine.  Nice warm breezes and sandy beaches and clear Caribbean water

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

I can imagine.  Nice warm breezes and sandy beaches and clear Caribbean water

Nice way to dance around what the onboard experience will be like, what I was referring to.😂😂😂

7 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Nice way to dance around what the onboard experience will be like, what I was referring to.😂😂😂

How about quickly pressing the close door elevator button before anyone else can get in?  Is that better LOL?

Edited by drvmywifecrzy