UK to start 14 day quarantine for incoming air passengers

Prost Seattle

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month. 

Industry body Airlines UK said the policy needed "a credible exit plan" and should be reviewed weekly.”

This might through a wrench in some plans. 

Interesting.  As best we can tell, that policy is helping keep China from reintroducing COVID19 into the country...but they have also blocked all foreigners from entry as well.

I wonder how it would work for people who are trying to connect through LHR.

18 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/business-52594023

UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The new restriction is expected to take effect at the end of this month. 

Industry body Airlines UK said the policy needed "a credible exit plan" and should be reviewed weekly.”

This might through a wrench in some plans. 

This is not official yet!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mom says said:

Two months into the pandemic,  and they're only planning to start this? Closing the barn door... yada yada

Yes it should have been done long ago, not sure how effective it’s going to be at this stage.

• Like 1

The right thing to do if late but cruises will not happen while this is in force. Folks, flying in, and  going on cruises from Southampton would presumably have to go into quarantine for two weeks before going on the cruise, and maybe they and Brits would have to be in quarantine for two weeks after a cruise. We will know more in the next couple of days.

1 hour ago, JennAngel9 said:

Interesting.  As best we can tell, that policy is helping keep China from reintroducing COVID19 into the country...but they have also blocked all foreigners from entry as well.

I wonder how it would work for people who are trying to connect through LHR.

I would be more concerned with infection from USA travellers.  China has the virus well under control - the opposite is the case in the US.

• Like 6

On 5/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, billydog said:

I would be more concerned with infection from USA travellers.  China has the virus well under control - the opposite is the case in the US.

I think you misunderstood my comment.  I was saying that China is using the quarantine policy with apparent success (though they aren't allowing foreigners in at all) to keep COVID19 rates low-- not that the policy was protecting America (which doesn't have the policy) from China.  So I think we agree, but I would not go so far as to say that China has the virus entirely under control.