December out of New Jersey

When our March cruise was cancelled on Anthem, we re-booked for December Xmas week.  At the time, we thought things would be better, but now not feeling too confident.

I know no one has a crystal ball, but any thoughts on cruises out of New Jersey being opened by December?  Final Payment isn't until Sept, and I don't even think we qualify for Lift & Sift as our current cruise is 8 nights and next year the same cruise is a 7 night (and not switching to Enchantment, which is the only cruise that qualifies to L&S).  

P.S. - We have an additional hurdle as we're Canadian so the borders need to be re-opened.  

6 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

When our March cruise was cancelled on Anthem, we re-booked for December Xmas week.  At the time, we thought things would be better, but now not feeling too confident.

I know no one has a crystal ball, but any thoughts on cruises out of New Jersey being opened by December?  Final Payment isn't until Sept, and I don't even think we qualify for Lift & Sift as our current cruise is 8 nights and next year the same cruise is a 7 night (and not switching to Enchantment, which is the only cruise that qualifies to L&S).  

P.S. - We have an additional hurdle as we're Canadian so the borders need to be re-opened.  

At least you have to August 1 to see how things are going.

Oasis  is really cheap at Christmas

I doubt the border will be an issue. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply and for the tip on Oasis.  We're really wanting to try Anthem after March was cancelled. 😞

We actually have an additional challenge in that our son's passport expires in the new year.  So for New Jersey we have the option of driving using Nexus.  So we also need passport office to re-open in time if looking at a different departure port, and i can only imagine the backlog.  (Hopefully it's a non-issue for our Harmony cruise in March).

For our current Anthem booking, we were able to get 2 connecting balcony rooms.  I doubt Lift & Sift will be allowed for us, but I did inquire and it wasn't a straight out no.  I think it would depend on who we get from resolutions if we decide to want to try to move Anthem to next Dec.  But then if we wait until Aug 1, not sure how many connecting balcony rooms would be left for Dec 2021?  (And I realize there is also a chance Anthem moves to Galveston...but if next Dec, although a pain, we would have the option to fly).

But if New Jersey is open, and if we are comfortable sailing, then its best we keep our current booking.  We already have 2 cruises booked next year, which I am ok as i have lots of vacation, but vacation days for DH are limited.  So many variables.  

We are also booked on Anthem 12-nighter out of Bayonne in December.  We are really hoping that Bayonne has reopened by then.  (Also hoping that cruises have restarted, Anthem has returned to Bayonne, etc, etc, etc.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

Thanks for the reply and for the tip on Oasis.  We're really wanting to try Anthem after March was cancelled. 😞

We actually have an additional challenge in that our son's passport expires in the new year.  So for New Jersey we have the option of driving using Nexus.  So we also need passport office to re-open in time if looking at a different departure port, and i can only imagine the backlog.  (Hopefully it's a non-issue for our Harmony cruise in March).

For our current Anthem booking, we were able to get 2 connecting balcony rooms.  I doubt Lift & Sift will be allowed for us, but I did inquire and it wasn't a straight out no.  I think it would depend on who we get from resolutions if we decide to want to try to move Anthem to next Dec.  But then if we wait until Aug 1, not sure how many connecting balcony rooms would be left for Dec 2021?  (And I realize there is also a chance Anthem moves to Galveston...but if next Dec, although a pain, we would have the option to fly).

But if New Jersey is open, and if we are comfortable sailing, then its best we keep our current booking.  We already have 2 cruises booked next year, which I am ok as i have lots of vacation, but vacation days for DH are limited.  So many variables.  

Good point about Anthem next year and those rumours.  that could throw another twist int this.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

We are also booked on Anthem 12-nighter out of Bayonne in December.  We are really hoping that Bayonne has reopened by then.  (Also hoping that cruises have restarted, Anthem has returned to Bayonne, etc, etc, etc.)

You must be the cruise before or after us. 🙂

What's your gut feel?  Think it will be a go? 

I am keeping my  'gut' socially distant from my 'feelings'.  I have cruises booked for July on the Oasis (Bayonne), August on Grandeur (Baltimore), September on Empress (Montreal) and Early December on Anthem (Bayonne).  As of today,  Bayonne, Baltimore and all ports in Canada are closed.  Each of them are unknown currently.  I am hoping that as things become clearer, some or all will happen.  I expect that the Anthem in December is the most likely of our 2020 cruises to happen.  So far this year, we were cruising in January on the GotS and got cancelled for March, May and June on RCI.

We also sailed on HAL in February and hope to sail in February 2021 on Eurodam.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PigsCanFly said:

I am keeping my  'gut' socially distant from my 'feelings'.  I have cruises booked for July on the Oasis (Bayonne), August on Grandeur (Baltimore), September on Empress (Montreal) and Early December on Anthem (Bayonne).  As of today,  Bayonne, Baltimore and all ports in Canada are closed.  Each of them are unknown currently.  I am hoping that as things become clearer, some or all will happen.  I expect that the Anthem in December is the most likely of our 2020 cruises to happen.  So far this year, we were cruising in January on the GotS and got cancelled for March, May and June on RCI.

We also sailed on HAL in February and hope to sail in February 2021 on Eurodam.

Ha ha.  Good you are social distancing.  Hoping some, and more so many of your cruises are a go.  It's so disappointing when plans get changed.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Nexus will get your son into the US at a land crossing but if he is Cdn he will need a current passport to go on a cruise out of NJ or any other ports for that matter.

Only Americans can do closed loop from the US with citizenship documents such as BC and DL.

30 minutes ago, robtulipe said:

Nexus will get your son into the US at a land crossing but if he is Cdn he will need a current passport to go on a cruise out of NJ or any other ports for that matter.

Only Americans can do closed loop from the US with citizenship documents such as BC and DL.

We actually checked with Royal and they confirmed that Nexus is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PigsCanFly said:

September on Empress (Montreal)

I'm not even too confident that Empress will still be in the fleet by then if I'm honest! She is heading to Europe with crew along with Majesty - I wonder if they will ever return.

2 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

I'm not even too confident that Empress will still be in the fleet by then if I'm honest! She is heading to Europe with crew along with Majesty - I wonder if they will ever return.

I hear you.  I imagine that will become clearer as summer gets into full?? swing.🙄

Just now, PigsCanFly said:

I hear you.  I imagine that will become clearer as summer gets into full?? swing.🙄

I imagine if they are being retired from the RCL fleet we should hear soon(ish)! Or is that wishful thinking from RCL? 🙄

Anthem has her dry dock in Europe (Holland I think) this year, then her Europe season from Southampton is at the moment still scheduled to be going ahead. Once they dry dock is finished (and if they haven't yet cancelled the full season) I wouldn't be surprised if she sits laid up in Southampton for a while, even into the NJ season if we get that far into cancellations. There wouldn't be any point in taking her back across to New Jersey if no cruises are going to be going ahead from their just for her to return to Southampton next year.

I'm hopeful for you that your cruise should still go ahead though it depends if they want the ships in NJ - I'd still have every hope!

Obviously none of us can particularly look that far away yet, I don't expect RCL even know.

2 hours ago, soremekun said:

I'm on this same Anthem cruise.  I hope the situation is better by December.

Fingers crossed . It's 7.5 months away. (And hope things greatly improve before that for many reasons)

2 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

Anthem has her dry dock in Europe (Holland I think) this year, then her Europe season from Southampton is at the moment still scheduled to be going ahead. Once they dry dock is finished (and if they haven't yet cancelled the full season) I wouldn't be surprised if she sits laid up in Southampton for a while, even into the NJ season if we get that far into cancellations. There wouldn't be any point in taking her back across to New Jersey if no cruises are going to be going ahead from their just for her to return to Southampton next year.

I'm hopeful for you that your cruise should still go ahead though it depends if they want the ships in NJ - I'd still have every hope!

Obviously none of us can particularly look that far away yet, I don't expect RCL even know.

Thank you.  I saw your comment as well in the other thread.  Good to hear there is hope, but we'll just to see if Anthem returns to New Jersey then.

Just now, LuCruise said:

Thank you.  I saw your comment as well in the other thread.  Good to hear there is hope, but we'll just to see if Anthem returns to New Jersey then.

No problem, just my thoughts! Obviously we don’t particularly know what’s going to happen in a couple of months let alone November / December time so keep that hope alive! lol

7 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

No problem, just my thoughts! Obviously we don’t particularly know what’s going to happen in a couple of months let alone November / December time so keep that hope alive! lol

Yes...I know this is all unknown and will be month to month.  New Jersey and New York in particular were hit hard so those ports are even more unknown. Thanks again.  Will probably sit it out then and see how things go.

Edited by LuCruise

15 hours ago, PigsCanFly said:

We are on the December 7th cruise on the Anthem and are keeping our fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mpdahmer said:

We have an October "Oasis" cruise booked with 4 cabins in a row. Looks like we will cancel but waiting to hear any news.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Same here. Playing their waiting game. 

• Like 1

Right now the Anthem is transporting all the Indian crew members from the Caribbean based ships to India, arriving in Goa on June 3rd. The dry dock has been postponed and may happen during the summer instead. I'm doubtful they will have a European season this year unless a miraculous cure happens. 

The fall/winter season for the Anthem seems more likely but if a second wave hits, then who knows.  

Screenshot_20200511-103234_Chrome.jpg