Vancouver port on schedule to open

iggyc

6 minutes ago, iggyc said:

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-still-hope-for-vancouvers-cruise-ship-season-but-some-lines-have-cancelled-for-2020/

I think  $$$$ will steer reopening in the travel industry. A lot of businesses will benefit even from a partial Alaska season

i wouldnt book alaska this year , but this is good news . 

The BC Health Officer killed this about 3 hours ago. The Borders WILL NOT Open on May 21 as planned. Washington State has way too many cases still and no sign of it flattening out. Some stats showing why the BC govt. doesn't want the US border reopened: neighbouring Washington state, with 1.5x the pop. of BC, has 7x the number of COVID19 cases (231 today) and 7x the number of deaths.
The Premiers of the Provinces held a conference call last week calling for the Borders to stay closed on the advice of Health Officers.
If for some reason the port is opened you will have to do a 14 day quarantine prior to entering Canada under BC Law.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Seacruise said:

The BC Health Officer killed this about 3 hours ago. The Borders WILL NOT Open on May 21 as planned. Washington State has way too many cases still and no sign of it flattening out. Some stats showing why the BC govt. doesn't want the US border reopened: neighbouring Washington state, with 1.5x the pop. of BC, has 7x the number of COVID19 cases (231 today) and 7x the number of deaths.
The Premiers of the Provinces held a conference call last week calling for the Borders to stay closed on the advice of Health Officers.
If for some reason the port is opened you will have to do a 14 day quarantine prior to entering Canada under BC Law.

I am just waiting for my August Alaska cruise to be canceled, Anchorage to Vancouver.  With a 14 day quarantine it would be impossible for most cruisers as that adds two weeks of vacation time.  Impossible for me anyway.

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  This yields some potential good news for those booked on an Alaska cruise late summer and is in direct contradiction to some other reports that B.C. is closed until 2021.  Thank you for posting!

Except Alaska still has a 14-day self-quarantine requirement in place, so if you'll need to spend 2 weeks in one place in Alaska prior to your cruise.

28 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Except Alaska still has a 14-day self-quarantine requirement in place, so if you'll need to spend 2 weeks in one place in Alaska prior to your cruise.

Simpy not feasible for most people, I'm sure.  But that may be lifted by that time, if/when they actually sail.  Florida is doing something similar for those who were seeking condo rentals for a beach vacay...you have to quarantine for 14 days before your vacation even begins.  This is essentially saying "stay home!"  Which I am happy to do for now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Simpy not feasible for most people, I'm sure.  But that may be lifted by that time, if/when they actually sail.  Florida is doing something similar for those who were seeking condo rentals for a beach vacay...you have to quarantine for 14 days before your vacation even begins.  This is essentially saying "stay home!"  Which I am happy to do for now.

Yep.  We've traded in our 2-week Alaska cruise for an rental house on the west coast of Florida.  Gorgeous house, great lanai with a private pool, hot tub, wet bar, outdoor TV and fire pit.

Even if we can't go anywhere else, we'll have everything we need in the house to enjoy a nice break.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

Yep.  We've traded in our 2-week Alaska cruise for an rental house on the west coast of Florida.  Gorgeous house, great lanai with a private pool, hot tub, wet bar, outdoor TV and fire pit.

Even if we can't go anywhere else, we'll have everything we need in the house to enjoy a nice break.

Oh so incredibly jealous lol ...have a great time for us 

• Like 2

Just to throw another thought into all this is July 1 is a date they use but it really doesn't appear to be possible.
We all know we are starting to experience shortages in now things like Beef and Chicken. I know my local Costco has no beef.
My other half works in the the food biz that supplies cruise lines and she was at work yesterday and they have almost no beef in stock because of the plants being closed due to covid19.
Also cruise lines have to submit their food list to the supplier roughly 88 days before departure. That would make it August 8th from today. Since there are no orders to supply any cruise line right now it appears July 1 start is far fetched.
So if you think July 01 is a go it may be a vegan cruise for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

why not an august or sept cruise out of florida?

those worried about a 14 day quarantine im sure that wont be in effect once it fully opens up. 

3 hours ago, Seacruise said:

The BC Health Officer today made it as plane as day that there will be no Alaska cruise season this year. Dr. Henry was Asked about the Vancouver Sun report wearlier that was posted.
Here is the video Dr Bonnie Henry and skip ahead to 33:45

Dr. Henry is the best! Be kind, be calm and be safe.

• Like 1

Totally agree with his statement.  However he said can’t change travel restrictions now. They are talking about a port reopening in July. 

for the record I am a stay at home person. I have family in the medical field. I am coming to the reality that you can’t shut the world down for 2 years waiting for a vaccine. 

11 hours ago, seaman11 said:

why not an august or sept cruise out of florida?

those worried about a 14 day quarantine im sure that wont be in effect once it fully opens up. 

Because we're not ready to cruise, yet - I don't want to go on a cruise and have to wear a  mask when I'm not in my cabin.  Or try to find a deck chair or bar table that's properly 'socially distanced'.  

Once cruising starts back and we see how things go, our first few forays will likely be from Port Liberty or NYC, which we can do last-minute and drive to so no need to worry about travel, hotels, etc.

And I don't think cruising is going to be starting back up in August or September, anyway.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jobeth66 said:

Because we're not ready to cruise, yet - I don't want to go on a cruise and have to wear a  mask when I'm not in my cabin.  Or try to find a deck chair or bar table that's properly 'socially distanced'.  

Once cruising starts back and we see how things go, our first few forays will likely be from Port Liberty or NYC, which we can do last-minute and drive to so no need to worry about travel, hotels, etc.

And I don't think cruising is going to be starting back up in August or September, anyway.  

however you will fly to florida? 😷  i do get it that some will not want to cruise for a while though.  i doubt they will make it mandatory to wear masks onboard. 

15 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

however you will fly to florida? 😷  i do get it that some will not want to cruise for a while though.  i doubt they will make it mandatory to wear masks onboard. 

from Frank Del Rio

There’s been a lot of speculation in recent weeks over what it’ll look like on ships when cruising resumes. Will passengers be required to follow social distancing rules? Will they be required to wear masks?

Del Rio said passengers should expect the same sort of procedures that they find on land — whatever that is at the time they cruise.

“Early on as we open our doors again, assuming that we are still working with the same general guidelines that society is working with today — social distancing, wearing masks and so forth — that will translate into shipboard life itself.”

1 minute ago, hftmrock said:

from Frank Del Rio

There’s been a lot of speculation in recent weeks over what it’ll look like on ships when cruising resumes. Will passengers be required to follow social distancing rules? Will they be required to wear masks?

Del Rio said passengers should expect the same sort of procedures that they find on land — whatever that is at the time they cruise.

“Early on as we open our doors again, assuming that we are still working with the same general guidelines that society is working with today — social distancing, wearing masks and so forth — that will translate into shipboard life itself.”

"whatever that is at the time they cruise."  in my state im not required to wear a mask , but i doubt they would start implementing it 3 months from now. 

17 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

A 2-hour flight to Florida where my husband and I will be the only ones in our row on the airplane (it's a 2 & 2)?

Sure.  I can wear a mask for that length of time.  No biggie.

You were convinced cruises were going to start in June and that things were going to be wide open.  I'm pretty sure that the first few cruises, at the very, very least, are going to require masks and social distancing.  That may go on longer.   I know you think this is just going to disappear, but it's not.

1 minute ago, Jobeth66 said:

A 2-hour flight to Florida where my husband and I will be the only ones in our row on the airplane (it's a 2 & 2)?

Sure.  I can wear a mask for that length of time.  No biggie.

You were convinced cruises were going to start in June and that things were going to be wide open.  I'm pretty sure that the first few cruises, at the very, very least, are going to require masks and social distancing.  That may go on longer.   I know you think this is just going to disappear, but it's not.

im not required to wear it now in my state,  i doubt florida and texas would have that in effect 3 months from now. 

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

"whatever that is at the time they cruise."  in my state im not required to wear a mask , but i doubt they would start implementing it 3 months from now. 

?? What does that have to do with anything?

So, since your state doesn't require a mask, you think you wouldn't have to wear one on a ship?  That's not what that says.  I'm guessing mask recommendations and social distancing are going to still be in place in 3 months.  It's going to be at the CDC and cruise line rules - not whatever it is your state requires.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

4 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

im not required to wear it now in my state,  i doubt florida and texas would have that in effect 3 months from now. 

This is the current 'General Guidelines' that I think he is referring to

CDC recommends that everyone wear a cloth face covering in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain, especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

7 minutes ago, Jobeth66 said:

?? What does that have to do with anything?

So, since your state doesn't require a mask, you think you wouldn't have to wear one on a ship?  That's not what that says.  I'm guessing mask recommendations and social distancing are going to still be in place in 3 months.  It's going to be at the CDC and cruise line rules - not whatever it is your state requires.

Wouldnt it go by the state enforcement is effect  the ship is docked in?    you even say "recommendations"     i dont think it will be mandatory is what i am saying , from the only ports going this summer.  Texas/florida.    but many of you are assuming it will be mandatory.  lets see