Seabourn refuse refund for the next 6 months????

brunorem

I was booked on a seabourn cruise for July. Last week I received the message that my cruise was cancelled.

My travel agent told me that I had 2 options. I only paid my deposit.

Option 1: leave the deposit with Seabourn and receive FCC of 125 %

Option 2: receive refund

I would take option 2 BUT my travel agent told me that Seabourn announced that for the next 6 months Seabourn is not doing/accepting any refund.

I would have to wait for the next 6 months and in 6 months I would call the TA again and ask for refund. Then again Seabourn would have the right to take 12 months for the refund.

Is this correct? Anyone had also this information?

On the other side, when I check the seabourn website they do not mention this 6 months refusal of refunding. Even more they mention that if do not make a choice by 12. June I automatically choose option 1. So this means I am not entitled to refund anymore? This information is different from the information of the travel agent.

This has not been my experience. You make your choice of option one or two and they put it in they works although they do warn you it could take two to three months to process because if the heavy demand.

I agree with norm2002 about some type of communication misunderstanding.  I have been following this refund and FCC credit pretty close and first I have heard of 6 months.  The Seabourn party line has been 60-days since March, with some mention of 90-days starting to come out.  A variation of the 90-days is "60 working days" which I find almost laughable.

If I were you, I would ask your travel agent via email (if you have not already) and ask them to email you back a response.  Would love for you to post this exchange here on CC of course with names and company info deleted.

I would not be surprised if refunds will take 6-months - but that will most certainly start costing Seabourn some loyal customers as was previously mentioned.  I also wonder if and when the U.S. news media will start picking up on these very slow refunds from cruise lines (a little more negative PR might help those waiting for their refund).  Look at where Carnival Corp and Seabourn are - our member SLSD here has some good thoughts on this.  They likely do not have a great deal of money coming in and HUGE payments due on their debts.  They appear to be making a business decision to hold onto their cash - just my opinion.

14 minutes ago, phil09 said:

Look at where Carnival Corp and Seabourn are - our member SLSD here has some good thoughts on this.  They likely do not have a great deal of money coming in and HUGE payments due on their debts.  They appear to be making a business decision to hold onto their cash - just my opinion.

Mr. SLSD practiced law for 40 years and tells me that corporations will make decisions based on survival.  I hate it in this case.  We all want SB to always be responsive to us, their best customers.  Right now, they have other objectives.  It is a tough tough time. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

I have contacted my travel agent and seabourn and as I am based in Europe they told me that the rules regarding refund are different. And effectively the link I found on the website of seabourn states that this is only for US market.

5 hours ago, brunorem said:

I have contacted my travel agent and seabourn and as I am based in Europe they told me that the rules regarding refund are different. And effectively the link I found on the website of seabourn states that this is only for US market.

The OP lists Europe as home.    I'm quite sure reimbursement strategy differs between continents.  

I'd say policy, but not sure one is in place.

Edited by saminina

• 2 weeks later...

We filed a dispute with AMEX as were were under deposit for September, and had no intentions of making final payment or getting into a situation of waiting for a refund of a substantial deposit. We enjoy them very much, but do not see any cruises for quite sometime. 

1 hour ago, alwaysonaship said:

We filed a dispute with AMEX as were were under deposit for September, and had no intentions of making final payment or getting into a situation of waiting for a refund of a substantial deposit. We enjoy them very much, but do not see any cruises for quite sometime. 

Would your Amex not require that you cancel with SB first and see what SB will say about a refund?

IMO, simply changing your mind is not a good enough reason for Amex to refund - only a lack to deliver the purchased product or long delay of providing your service from SB (or other provider) would be a reason for a rebate from Amex.

I could be wrong (not a lawyer).

Edited by Paulchili

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 4:10 PM, Paulchili said:

Would your Amex not require that you cancel with SB first and see what SB will say about a refund?

IMO, simply changing your mind is not a good enough reason for Amex to refund - only a lack to deliver the purchased product or long delay of providing your service from SB (or other provider) would be a reason for a rebate from Amex.

I could be wrong (not a lawyer).

We had cancelled with the cruise line, AMEX gave us a temporary credit, and Seabourn issued the credit about 3 weeks ago. I hope things improve but don’t hold out much hope at this time. This COVID-19 is serious.