Caribbean ports

I know this question doesn't belong here, but i searched around the port boards and there isnt much out there.  Anyone know how the Caribbean islands are faring through this?  A lot seem pretty dependent on cruise ships and tourism in general so im wondering what we are going back to once they do start sailing again.  If they do start in the next couple of months, probably not a big deal, but if it goes to the end of the year or next year, that could really depress those areas.

thoughts?

Rcl said yesterday in another thread if they dont start by 3rd qtr their cash flow will be impacted. I think by next year rcl is in trouble never mind the ports.

Grand cayman said closed until sept 1st to cruises, after that they will reevaluate. I havent seen other islands report on when or if ports will open. It's my question too.

Many of then are not as reliant on cruise ships as you might think. They have healthy land based operations with the bulk of tourism from hotel guests.

Certainly there will be some impact but not enough to cause that big of an impact.

Mostly the tour operators that cater to cruise ships passengers would suffer the most.

11 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Many of then are not as reliant on cruise ships as you might think. They have healthy land based operations with the bulk of tourism from hotel guests.

Certainly there will be some impact but not enough to cause that big of an impact.

Mostly the tour operators that cater to cruise ships passengers would suffer the most.

Report I saw Cruise ship visits are average 3-6% GDP of each Caribbean Island. Effects more the small near Port Businesses inc Tours

Not an island, but in Costa Maya, Mexico, every beach club and the water park and the few restaurants in Nuevo Mahahual are closed.  They will stay closed until cruise ships return.  Most of the workers in the area have gone off elsewhere. That area's economy is almost 100% dependent upon cruise ship guests and divers staying at local hotels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Lol,you cant be serious? Do some more research cause they do heavily rely on cruise ships and on top of that they arent getting planes landing there with hotel guests. So thats killing them as well

Edited by rtazz17

2 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Agreed.  It really isn't as much as many cruisers might think:

https://skift.com/2013/09/25/the-caribbean-islands-most-dependent-on-cruise-business/

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Not an island, but in Costa Maya, Mexico, every beach club and the water park and the few restaurants in Nuevo Mahahual are closed.  They will stay closed until cruise ships return.  Most of the workers in the area have gone off elsewhere. That area's economy is almost 100% dependent upon cruise ship guests and divers staying at local hotels.

I just booked day passes at a resort in Costa Maya.  They were happy to have the business and were still accepting reservations.  Some of the others in the Caribbean aren't even accepting them.