Ranger Cookies

With our last cruise cancelled and the next one not coming till December, I decided to try my hand at making Ranger Cookies.

I found a recipe on line that substituted Heath toffee chips for the praline paste which is almost is impossible to find.

They turned out very well and taste just like the real thing!!

T

1095523146_Rangercookies.JPG.fe3634f66bcf77bbcf76686f97301c8a.JPG

11 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This is interesting. When I checked for recipes on line years ago, the ones I found always called for praline paste which is expensive and hard to find. Also, most had finely chopped almonds.

If this is the official recipe, it seems easy and doesn't even call for almonds! I'll have to try this next time. Way easier than the one I did.

T

47 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

This is interesting. When I checked for recipes on line years ago, the ones I found always called for praline paste which is expensive and hard to find. Also, most had finely chopped almonds.

If this is the official recipe, it seems easy and doesn't even call for almonds! I'll have to try this next time. Way easier than the one I did.

T

Not only is praline paste expensive and hard to find, when I did find it on Amazon, you have to buy more than you'll use in a while.  

10 hours ago, island284 said:

Thank you so much. The official Royal recipe looks great but 6 eggs?  I think I’ll try your link first.  

If you do, be sure to space the cookies at least 2 inches apart. My first batch were too close and they all ran together for square, thick cookies (they still tasted good but more like a cake than a cookie LOL)

T

This thread inspired me to make an attempt at these cookies today.  They do live up to everyones recommendations.  The ones I made were a hit here with the family. Thanks, all.  Although the cookies don't seem to appear on my doctor's recommended dietary choices.

I tried the recipe from RCI in post #4 and it is NOT the recipe for ranger cookies.  So disappointed.

The cookies tasted OK but did not look or taste like the ones on the ship (which I strongly suspect are from Sysco).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, truffles2 said:

I tried the recipe from RCI in post #4 and it is NOT the recipe for ranger cookies.  So disappointed.

The cookies tasted OK but did not look or taste like the ones on the ship (which I strongly suspect are from Sysco).

Interesting. Over the years I always read that praline paste was used in the original recipe. The recipe in that post (#4) didn't have praline paste or even toffee but looked interesting in that it seemed a lot easier to do (6 eggs didn't seem right). I have made two batches using the recipe link I posted in post #6. The first was too thick because I put the cookies too close together but the second batch came out perfect and looked and tasted just like the ship's cookies.