Boarding with Permanent Resident card

Husband has a Permanent Resident card with NO expiration date. He also has a valid drivers license. The Carnival website says that if his card does not have a expiration date on front of card..then it’s considered an old version & they recommend to apply for a new one. It says it’s RECOMMENDED but not required. Are we safe to book our cruise? The resident alien card is indefinite with no expiration date on it. 

A350B9DD-49CD-44E5-90AE-2729E4AC2B0C.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Cookieladylozano said:

Husband has a Permanent Resident card with NO expiration date. He also has a valid drivers license. The Carnival website says that if his card does not have a expiration date on front of card..then it’s considered an old version & they recommend to apply for a new one. It says it’s RECOMMENDED but not required. Are we safe to book our cruise? The resident alien card is indefinite with no expiration date on it. 

A350B9DD-49CD-44E5-90AE-2729E4AC2B0C.jpeg

I am also on a Permanent Resident card, mine has an expiration date.  The requirement to renew the cards changed maybe 20 years ago, and are now valid for a 10 year period.   I would highly recommend renewing the card.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

You will also need proof of citizenship that neither a drivers license or Residency Card provide.

A passport is best.

David

We never needed to bring proof of citizenship when sailing. Your green card and ID is sufficient if you're not a US citizen. Our most recent sailing was 2 years ago.  

Edited by LotusLane
  • Thanks 1

I was in the same boat - I made an appointment with homeland security (go online today to set the appointment- it took me 6wks for the first opening)

During the appointment, they gave me a letter stamped, saying that I could travel for the next 6 months out of the country with my old card and the letter.

I also brought my birth certificate along, as per their suggestion and had no problems.

• Thanks 1

Whether or not you need a passport in addition to the Green Card depends on where you are cruising to.  While the Green Card is sufficient for CBP for leaving/returning to the US, as the first paragraph in the OP's screenshot of the Carnival policy states, you must contact all the embassies or consulates of the countries where the ship will make port calls, and determine if they require a passport or visa, since the WHTI does not apply to US Green Card holders.  The Green Card establishes residency for these countries, but does not establish citizenship, so a passport may be required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Whether or not you need a passport in addition to the Green Card depends on where you are cruising to.  While the Green Card is sufficient for CBP for leaving/returning to the US, as the first paragraph in the OP's screenshot of the Carnival policy states, you must contact all the embassies or consulates of the countries where the ship will make port calls, and determine if they require a passport or visa, since the WHTI does not apply to US Green Card holders.  The Green Card establishes residency for these countries, but does not establish citizenship, so a passport may be required.

This. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cookieladylozano said:

Now we have a problem. I just called the Mexican Consulate but was told they are NOT taking applications for new passports 😟

If you are cruising only into Mexico ports, you only have to worry about his permanent resident card being up to date. I had my mom with us a few years back doing the Mexican Riviera and all she needed was her permanent resident card.

• Thanks 1

Your husband will need a passport to cruise if he was born in Mexico and resides in the US.

Of course it makes no sense, especially if the ship is sailing to Mexico only.

David

• Thanks 1