114th day waiting for a refund, will I win CC dispute tomorrow?

phire

114th day since Feb8th I have been forced to cancel my Feb15th Escape cruise by NCL.

I was forced to cancel the cruise and get a refund (thank God no option for the FCC) due to NCL's discriminating policy that no person holding a Chinese passport [ME] is allowed on the ships no matter his or her residency. I am a permanent resident in Canada who had not left the country for more than 2 years, and sadly my Canadian husband and 18months old Canadian baby were not allowed on the ship either, because we all posted coronavirus hazard to the others.

Luckily all of us are still safe and have not got infected with the virus (guess what, I work in a hospital in Ontario and in May I was redeployed to work directly with this virus).
I had to submit the request on Feb7th, and it got approved on the 8th with email saying I will receive full refund within 7-10 days.

Called on 11th day - oh they meant I will receive the refund within 10 business days on the cruise end date.

Called on 11th day after cruise end date - oh so many cruises got cancelled (in Asia) there were lots of cancellations to deal with, so you should get it within 30 days.

Called on March 13th - we have seen your refund is getting processed, and you will get 4 separate payments back before April 1st (and they gave me 4 different figures and they added up to my $4000 cruise fare, I was relieved knowing that)

Called on Apr 2nd - oh we changed the policy on March 18th already, everyone if not yet receiving refund yet had to wait another 90days, counting from the cruise end date/March 18th, whichever is later, so please call back on June 18th because we won't have any more information before your 90th day!

I learnt about credit card dispute from this forum and decided to dispute in the beginning of May (can't remember the date). Originally credit card company said I was given a temporary credit but I needed to wait 90days to make sure everything was firm, but I called last week they said NCL has until June1st to make a response, (the 90days was only for if they give a response and I needed to submit more documents to fight back and forth), and they had not yet. CC asked me to call back on Tuesday to see if there is a result. As of now, my temporary credit had not been taken away yet, so STAY TUNED.

Anyone who chooses to have a refund instead of NCL FCC, I highly suggest you to start CC dispute now. My cruise trip got cancelled due to "COVID-19", and I haven't got refund as promised (1week, 2more weeks, April1st, and 90days....). If you paid in full and got full refund already, please let everyone know.

Again, in this forum there is a googledoc created (by Haolenate) to track if there were any refund given, it is not that optimistic.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17CZpuhe_oCuJ7j4Dair4zwP56M-WIpFxYbc4EjwJ2FQ/edit#gid=0

ncl.png

Edited by phire
  • Like 1

Good luck.  Since you already have your provisional credit, there is really no way that they can take it away from you, unless NCL was able to prove that you took the cruise or you accepted FCC.  Thank you for working with coronavirus patients.  It is ironic that at this point in time, if the cruiselines could resume operations, that the safest passengers would be the ones from China.  If anybody wants to avoid getting coronavirus they should go to China.  

10 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

Good luck.  Since you already have your provisional credit, there is really no way that they can take it away from you, unless NCL was able to prove that you took the cruise or you accepted FCC.  Thank you for working with coronavirus patients.  It is ironic that at this point in time, if the cruiselines could resume operations, that the safest passengers would be the ones from China.  If anybody wants to avoid getting coronavirus they should go to China.  

Thank God I wasn't given the option of FCC in any form. NCL was disgusting, looking at how they announced even the staff members who carried passports of China, Hong Kong, Macau must get off the ships immediately 😳 i felt so sorry for them. 

Anyways, i thought my post sank so I only updated my situation in the Google doc. I made phone call to CC and they said NCL never replied back until the last day given, so the charge back stays permanent as of yesterday.  

Wish everyone good luck.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Just terrible.  I really think you got the worst of it on several levels.  I hope you will finally see your refund.  I'm waiting for one too.  They have one excuse after another.

Exactly,  I thought I was at the worst situation other than actually contracting the virus. 

All these fake reports on here about Credit Cards not allowing charge backs need investigation, you should have gone immediately for charge back, I did with all airlines and got credited immediately, if a company doesn’t give you a option or reasonable time for refund, 90 days after such a date is rubbish, totally unreasonable, it’s your cash.

NCL have acted for their benefit not the customer, they keep advertising cruises and taking funds in full knowledge the cruise will not sail, disgraceful behaviour.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Trimone said:

All these fake reports on here about Credit Cards not allowing charge backs need investigation, you should have gone immediately for charge back, I did with all airlines and got credited immediately, if a company doesn’t give you a option or reasonable time for refund, 90 days after such a date is rubbish, totally unreasonable, it’s your cash.

NCL have acted for their benefit not the customer, they keep advertising cruises and taking funds in full knowledge the cruise will not sail, disgraceful behaviour.

you are right, I only started diapute at about 60days. In the beginning they kept promising I will get refund within two weeks (then another two weeks...and another one) it wasn't until April 1st I knew they extended another 90days. I was such a fool

7 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

image.png.0bedf98a54d0c0159e71e14875b9afbb.png

Did you get the entire amount credited back to your credit card?

image.png

yes, I only had 1 charge that paid the 4000CAD in full last October.  Got all of them back.

32 minutes ago, phire said:

yes, I only had 1 charge that paid the 4000CAD in full last October.  Got all of them back.

That's great.  We also called our CC company about our $4000USD for our cancelled cruise from April.  They put a notation on our account that if we do not get refunded in 90 days (July 13) they will start a chargeback.

4 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

That's great.  We also called our CC company about our $4000USD for our cancelled cruise from April.  They put a notation on our account that if we do not get refunded in 90 days (July 13) they will start a chargeback.

My temporary chargeback were in my account about 7 business days, I told them I was screwed because I borrowed the same bank's line of credit and paid interest since October and not having the service (true =P my first ever LOC). 

Anyways, they told me 90 days at first. I called last week just to make sure that I didn't miss any communication (because they told me if they ask me to submit info and I don't in a certain time, I automatically fail). They told me NCL had until June1st to make a first response, if they still not reply then I automatically win. 

So upto 90days is that if you need to fight with NCL back and forth. You should call at about 30days to check.

I have filed a few disputes. They all cleared the provisional period because the companies never bothered to reply. One was for $5000 and all I wanted was the correct $120 item that was part of the order. So the company instead of exchanging the $120 which was all I wanted them to do lost $5000. Made no sense but that happened in the other transactions I disputed. Of course those were cut and dried but it seems the tendency is for them not to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

NCL has proven to be quite an unethical company. As a sales person myself, its clear that their sales team has no integrity and will do anything to maintain their bottom line, including selling cruises that they are certain won't sail, promising refunds that take 3+ months to happen, and now trying to get more bookings by promising safe cruising, with ship social distancing, new air filtration systems, etc. Meanwhile, not nearly enough information is still known about covid-19 and how it really travels or transmits to even be making those sorts of calls at this point. Shameful company, once i get my refund we're done for good

Edited by JamesGNYC
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Trimone said:

Most of the cheerleaders have status with NCL and don't want NCL to go bankrupt as they would lose out a lot.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 6:01 PM, phire said:

114th day since Feb8th I have been forced to cancel my Feb15th Escape cruise by NCL.

I was forced to cancel the cruise and get a refund (thank God no option for the FCC) due to NCL's discriminating policy that no person holding a Chinese passport [ME] is allowed on the ships no matter his or her residency. I am a permanent resident in Canada who had not left the country for more than 2 years, and sadly my Canadian husband and 18months old Canadian baby were not allowed on the ship either, because we all posted coronavirus hazard to the others.

Luckily all of us are still safe and have not got infected with the virus (guess what, I work in a hospital in Ontario and in May I was redeployed to work directly with this virus).
I had to submit the request on Feb7th, and it got approved on the 8th with email saying I will receive full refund within 7-10 days.

Called on 11th day - oh they meant I will receive the refund within 10 business days on the cruise end date.

Called on 11th day after cruise end date - oh so many cruises got cancelled (in Asia) there were lots of cancellations to deal with, so you should get it within 30 days.

Called on March 13th - we have seen your refund is getting processed, and you will get 4 separate payments back before April 1st (and they gave me 4 different figures and they added up to my $4000 cruise fare, I was relieved knowing that)

Called on Apr 2nd - oh we changed the policy on March 18th already, everyone if not yet receiving refund yet had to wait another 90days, counting from the cruise end date/March 18th, whichever is later, so please call back on June 18th because we won't have any more information before your 90th day!

I learnt about credit card dispute from this forum and decided to dispute in the beginning of May (can't remember the date). Originally credit card company said I was given a temporary credit but I needed to wait 90days to make sure everything was firm, but I called last week they said NCL has until June1st to make a response, (the 90days was only for if they give a response and I needed to submit more documents to fight back and forth), and they had not yet. CC asked me to call back on Tuesday to see if there is a result. As of now, my temporary credit had not been taken away yet, so STAY TUNED.

Anyone who chooses to have a refund instead of NCL FCC, I highly suggest you to start CC dispute now. My cruise trip got cancelled due to "COVID-19", and I haven't got refund as promised (1week, 2more weeks, April1st, and 90days....). If you paid in full and got full refund already, please let everyone know.

Again, in this forum there is a googledoc created (by Haolenate) to track if there were any refund given, it is not that optimistic.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17CZpuhe_oCuJ7j4Dair4zwP56M-WIpFxYbc4EjwJ2FQ/edit#gid=0

ncl.png

Do you have a FCC posted in your latitudes account?    

7 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Do you have a FCC posted in your latitudes account?    

Nope. They want their customers think only Chinese can be infected with the virus, and during that time it wasn't clear when it will die down in China, so I wasn't offered FCC. 

I can't imagine to be forced to use FCC to go with NCL after being humiliated like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesGNYC said:

....As a sales person myself, its clear that their sales team has no integrity and will do anything to maintain their bottom line, including selling cruises that they are certain won't sail, promising refunds that take 3+ months to happen, and now trying to get more bookings by promising safe cruising, with ship social distancing, new air filtration systems, etc....

As a 'sales person' yourself, you ought to know there is no way that their sales team will know whether or not any particular cruise will sail etc....they are simply fulfilling their job role!!

NCL executives or senior management, who do know, asking their sales team to sell cruises....well that clearly lacks integrity, but we shouldn't blame innocent staff members. 😉

I'd be stunned if any refunds come before the 90 days. Carnival just sold bonds at an 11.75% rate. That's what money is costing cruise lines these days. So effectively, any money NCL pays out any sooner than they have to costs them 11.75%. That's not an incentive to pay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 6:01 AM, phire said:

I was forced to cancel the cruise and get a refund (thank God no option for the FCC) due to NCL's discriminating policy that no person holding a Chinese passport [ME] is allowed on the ships no matter his or her residency.

Came across this topic while browsing the NCL board for other issues. I experienced the same situation in Feb but I got a different end result. Separately I am in the progress of chargeback dispute with another cruise line on failing to refund.

Back to the NCL. I booked the Jade sailing on the 17 Feb 2020 from Hong Kong to Singapore. As I was residing in Hong Kong, I fitted well into its "then" protocol which would deny my boarding. Recall on the 7 Feb, the subject cruise had not been cancelled by NCL itself until a few days later. I phoned NCL Hong Kong office and NCL initiated the cancellation process such that within 10 days, I received my cruisenext coupons reinstatement and payment re credited. I am surprised for your situation. As I recall as of 15 Feb, there were only one or two cruises that required NCL's refund arrangement, mainly the Jade which was in Asia.

Separately, I raised a chargeback request on another cruise line after 2 months from the date of cancellation request. Since the cruise line failed "repeatedly" to honour its refund timelines, I lost my patience. I now make use of the credit card agencies to help the rightful customer to make the merchant work the way should be and comply with the standard chargeback protocol and timeline imposed thereon. 

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, Serengeti228 said:

Came across this topic while browsing the NCL board for other issues. I experienced the same situation in Feb but I got a different end result. Separately I am in the progress of chargeback dispute with another cruise line on failing to refund.

Back to the NCL. I booked the Jade sailing on the 17 Feb 2020 from Hong Kong to Singapore. As I was residing in Hong Kong, I fitted well into its "then" protocol which would deny my boarding. Recall on the 7 Feb, the subject cruise had not been cancelled by NCL itself until a few days later. I phoned NCL Hong Kong office and NCL initiated the cancellation process such that within 10 days, I received my cruisenext coupons reinstatement and payment re credited. I am surprised for your situation. As I recall as of 15 Feb, there were only one or two cruises that required NCL's refund arrangement, mainly the Jade which was in Asia.

Separately, I raised a chargeback request on another cruise line after 2 months from the date of cancellation request. Since the cruise line failed "repeatedly" to honour its refund timelines, I lost my patience. I now make use of the credit card agencies to help the rightful customer to make the merchant work the way should be and comply with the standard chargeback protocol and timeline imposed thereon. 

Good luck!

Hi, I haven't checked the forum so long but thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I won the dispute and NCL never replied to me. However, I know a person who was banned by the cruise for the same reason and he received the refund within 7 days and he submitted the request 1 day later than me. He also booked through cruisenext,where I was booked with Costcotravel. 

• Like 1