How does P&O compare with Celebrity Carnival and Norwegian

drsel

It's worth asking the same question on the Carnival and Norwegian boards as well. 

My personal feeling is that Carnival is too "in your face" for an older Brit like me! And be sure to avoid Spring Break in the US!

I can only comment on Celebrity, and would say most would be "Wowed" compared with P&O. But if being on a ship full of Brit's is your thing then I'd doubt most would try other cruise lines.

Celebrity's Edge was innovative and amazing. My favourite line is Princess however.

We have never been with NCL but we really like Celebrity.  We like the more cosmopolitan passenger mix, the entertainment is generally slightly better than P&O although it is more American targeted.  The cabins are better, the speciality restaurants are more to our taste.  Celebrity is more expensive unless you manage to get a deal, we have had a deal where we had free drinks and tips which is excellent because tips and drinks are very expensive.

No doubt Celebrity is my favourite.
I was hoping P&O would be like it.
I read that they have shows in both theatres on Oceana. Is it true?
What are the entertainment and activities on P&O?

12 minutes ago, drsel said:

No doubt Celebrity is my favourite.
I was hoping P&O would be like it.
I read that they have shows in both theatres on Oceana. Is it true?
What are the entertainment and activities on P&O?

If you take Celebrity to be a 4 star line, P&O would be 3 star. Mind you, the difference is reflected in the pricing.

I don't mind if it is three star. the price is very reasonable so I can't expect it to be 5* like Celebrity and Princess.
I just want some great entertainment and activities.

2 minutes ago, drsel said:

I don't mind if it is three star. the price is very reasonable so I can't expect it to be 5* like Celebrity and Princess.
I just want some great entertainment and activities.

Ahh.  I think you might be disappointed with P&O on those last two. Do you enjoy bed making competitions?

We've seen some pretty good entertainers on P&O,  and some if the shows are OK. You need to remember that 99% of the cruisers are Brits, and the entertainment is skewed accordingly.

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

We've seen some pretty good entertainers on P&O,  and some if the shows are OK. You need to remember that 99% of the cruisers are Brits, and the entertainment is skewed accordingly.

We like RCI,NCL, Celebrity and P&O. One benefit of the non P&O lines is that they dont have Eric & Ern. One positive with P&O is Gary Barlow will be on Iona. Drinks prices are cheaper on P&O, but I bet that changes.

Edited by zap99
Spell

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s a positive?  Massive negative here.  😮

Each to his own. I doubt you would have liked rock the boat on Indy, but who knows😁

Possibly depends on how interested in being or keeping British you are?

For example, the comedians I saw on P&O fared much better to us than the Americans on an RC transatlantic, who bombed (although that brought its own amusement!). 

Quizzes were more detailed, innovative and interactive on P&O, whereas on the others they mainly simple Q&A and over in no time. 

Food I feel is comparable quality wise (decent enough), though it has to be said there was much less choice on P&O (both MDR and buffet). 

Activities are far more sedate on P&O in my opinion, no-one was remotely interested in anything sporty or energetic (I'm neither lol, but like to give em a go). 

Just my opinions, before anyone rips me to bits 😂

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where do you want to be sailing from. obviously not from here this year. (if you are considering american lines) Would I trust any of the American lines , no I wouldn't. I think their main consideration will always be the dollar, so will get people back on ships come what may, even if its not safe (to us this side of the pond)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, drsel said:

What are the salient features of P and O that made you choose it in the past?
what are the pros and cons?

In no particular order:

Value - I think their prices are “fair” - the cost of the cruises, the prices on board (drinks, bespoke dining in particular) and excursions. A few times I’ve tried to price up doing certain trips independently and in my view for the meagre savings it just wasn’t worth the faff. 

Entertainment - generally ok. Headliners shows always of a good standard. Others can be “hit and miss” - seen some great comedians, bands, entertainers, others not so much. Luck of the draw really. The quality of on board speakers isn’t that great to be honest. Plenty of quizzes which I like

Food - Well it suits me. I don’t really get the comments criticising the buffets - I go there for a quick bite and it’s fine for that. I always make a point of going to Indian night. MDR again I have no issues with choice and quality. The Epicurean is wonderful. 

Sensible dress code in the evening. Formal nights well supported. 

Lots of interesting itineraries from Southampton. 

Don’t compare it to “flashier” cruise lines, manage your expectations to the price you’ve paid and I see no reason why you shouldn’t enjoy a P&O cruise. I understand the product has gone more “mass market “ over the past 20 years, but if you want to dress up every evening and have your pants pulled down every time you go to the bar there’s always Cunard 😄

5 hours ago, drsel said:

What are the salient features of P and O that made you choose it in the past?
what are the pros and cons?

In the past,  and I'm going back a few years, P&O was a very civilised operation,  with civilised people running it, civilised customers, civilised entertainment and some rather educational speakers.

Carnival have taken it downmarket,  aiming they say at what they call the Saturday night ITV audience, which won't mean much to you, but think Trump voters in the US and you won't be far out.

The result is an OK product,  but little more.  Entertainment is the sort of thing you'd find in UK pubs  - pretty poor  - and although the food's quite adequate,  it's a crowded rushed experience.  Few of the more interesting talks remain, and frankly there's not a lot to do in the daytime. 

Many of the more civilised,  professional customers that used to form the backbone of P&O cruising have moved away to more upmarket lines, and been replaced unfortunately by a more yobbish element, some of whom behave appalling.  There has even been the occasional brawl, though that's the exception. 

Upmarket in the past, downmarket now sums it up.  Just a matter of personal choice.

52 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Upmarket in the past, downmarket now sums it up.  Just a matter of personal choice.

I think that's a bit harsh. I would say mid-market or mass- market.

29 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think that's a bit harsh. I would say mid-market or mass- market.

Possibly the words of a PO cheerleader.

Mid-market? .... On a par with Cunard?  Sorry no.

Did try the PO product only once, never again.  

Same with Carnival, but got off after a few days in Barbados and flew home 

Both are low level mass-market, nothing else.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Move

20 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

All to do with perception. I don't count Cunard as mid-market. And why you would even consider going on a Carnival ship is beyond me!

And I am fully aware of P&O shortcomings, which is why I prefer Princess and Celebrity. 

18 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Depends on personal perception.  One person's idea of mid level will be another's idea of low level.

P&O is certainly no Cunard - and the passengers are entirely different.  A lot of that is marketing, though, and the real differences aren't as great as you might expect them to be for the additional money.  Cunard's mid-market these days, and since P&O is below that people must draw their own conclusions.