Cruising songs and memories

AndyMichelle

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Kalos - I have to say I don't remember being with you that day!

I thought you said that was our little secret ? 

Ps  Same time tonight under Cleethorpes pier :classic_ohmy::classic_wink: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, kalos said:

We had a nice few hours lazing on Reduit beach and then strolled up to the Spinnakers beach bar

in St Lucia.

As Mrs Kalos and I sat sipping on a nice chilled Piton beer the lady behind the bar turned up the bars 

music system as a song began to pound out to a John Legend song  but it was not him singing .

It was one of those "Im in heaven " moments  ,sat with the love of my life ,a very nice beer ,nice view and 

a warm breeze blowing in from the beach kissing your face.What was not to like? 

Then it was time to make our way back to the Azura after a lovely day out .

It was not until we got home months later that we discovered the version of that song.

Happy days and not a politician in sight :classic_wink: Here's the song that played  on a day we will never forget ..

Lovely song.

A favourite of ours too.

• Like 2

Leaving Southampton on Britannia after a stressful couple of weeks  when my Mum had been ill and I was seriously wondering If we’d be able to make the cruise. As we pulled away I couldn’t believe we’d made it and they played “Rather be” by Jess Glynn - the words being “there’s nowhere I’d rather be” Don’t mind telling you I was quite choked! I always think of cruising when I hear that now. That was 2017 and my mum is still with us and will be 81 this coming Monday.

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Leaving Southampton on Britannia after a stressful couple of weeks  when my Mum had been ill and I was seriously wondering If we’d be able to make the cruise. As we pulled away I couldn’t believe we’d made it and they played “Rather be” by Jess Glynn - the words being “there’s nowhere I’d rather be” Don’t mind telling you I was quite choked! I always think of cruising when I hear that now. That was 2017 and my mum is still with us and will be 81 this coming Monday.

That was lovely.

8 years ago for Paulines late mam's 90th birthday on Ventura we played Vera Lynn songs for her from my phone as she sat on the balcony with a glass of champagne and a box of chocolates.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I hope your Mum has a great Birthday Sue. Lovely story. 

Andy 

• Like 2

One of my favourite memories is sailing towards Cape Town on Aurora in 2010. The deck 12 party was in full swing under the clear skies when Clem Curtis of the Foundations belted out an impromptu rendition of Build me up buttercup with the house band Caravan backing him and everyone singing along. Fab times......

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

One of my favourite memories is sailing towards Cape Town on Aurora in 2010. The deck 12 party was in full swing under the clear skies when Clem Curtis of the Foundations belted out an impromptu rendition of Build me up buttercup with the house band Caravan backing him and everyone singing along. Fab times......

Amazing.. 

Singing it now.. 

WHY DO YOU BUILD ME UP, BUTTERCUP, JUST TO LET ME DOWN.. 

Come on, join in.. 😊

Andy 

The first time I sailed into Venice, about 20 years ago on Celebrity Millennium. It was mid morning and the open decks were packed. Waiters circulated with comlimentary glasses of champagne and Italian opera was played over the loudspeakers. The atmosphere was magical.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Amazing.. 

Singing it now.. 

WHY DO YOU BUILD ME UP, BUTTERCUP, JUST TO LET ME DOWN.. 

Come on, join in.. 😊

Andy 

Unfortunately I’m going to be singing it for hours now....... the dog already has his paws over his ears!! 🤣🐶

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Are you sure you didn't nudge him Josy? 😊

Andy 

He didn't need any help Andy. It was at a GB sail away so the entertainment staff were getting everyone wound up. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Some of the posts have prompted my memory to recall sitting on the tiered decks aft on Oriana listening to Italian Opera music as we sailed out of Venice in the early evening sunshine. I can't say I'm a big opera fan or know what was being played but the music was perfect for the setting.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4

I remember one evening when some bald headed chap had us all marching in pairs strung out around the pool deck singing 'Is This The Way To Barnard Castle?'. We were all in fancy dress, wearing thick rimmed glasses, and some short fella called Ronnie couldn't keep up and fell over. Oh how we laughed. Great times. 

Sorry Andy, couldn't resist. As you were 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We were on RCL Harmony of the seas in September 2016 sitting in Central Park before dinner when a solo singer set up his equipment.

He was a member of 

Gerry and the Pacemakers and he was amazed when we said we knew him because the ship was sailing out of Barcelona.

His first song was.

You will never walk Alone.

He also played Ferry across the Mersey.

The park filled up as soon as he sang the first song.

• Like 2

I have many happy memories of cruises.  One of the fun ones was a formal night on Arcadia at the Karaoke and a gentleman wearing the white dinner jacket etc sang The Kinks "Dedicated Follower of fashion"  he made it so funny with his actions 🙂

I've also had good fun with "I will walk 500miles" it's often ended up as a Congo!!  

• Like 3

The pianist in Arcadia's piano bar playing "My Heart Will Go On".   I don't particularly care for the song, but it has always intrigued me the thinking behind it being on a cruise ship's play list.

Part curious, part open mouthed, part bemused.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, showingdiva said:

The pianist in Arcadia's piano bar playing "My Heart Will Go On".   I don't particularly care for the song, but it has always intrigued me the thinking behind it being on a cruise ship's play list.

Part curious, part open mouthed, part bemused.

Excellent, I love ironic humour. 

Andy 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Earlier this year I too was wondering if we would have to cancel our cruise as my Mum was really ill but we went.She has now almost completely recovered and will be 90 a week tomorrow!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Loved seeing Clem Curtis on stage on a cruise a couple of years ago.'Build me up Buttercup' was the first single I ever bought and I too am singing it now!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I hope your Mum has a great Birthday Sue. Lovely story. 

Andy 

Thank you Andy. I’m hoping my parents can sit in our garden on her birthday but the weather may foil us!

The following year I went on a cruise with my friend (her husband refuses to go 🙄) and I told her the story. They played the song then too as we left Southampton so I was off again 😀

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 1

Southampton to Barbados transatlantic, setting off in brilliant sunshine.  Memories of two good house bands, the one with the girl singer doing We’re Jamming several times each day, in various sets in various locations, and the Ska group doing similar with Buffalo Soldier ... in the heart of America 🎶 

Good times

• Like 2