Cruise-opoly

OK, you know I'm bored when I'm considering making a cruise themed monopoly for my parents (we are big board game people and I've gotten them into cruising RCL, and our cruise was canceled so I want to give them something to do).

We've been on Radiance, Jewel, Harmony and upcoming on Brilliance (they like the same ships).

What "properties" would you make? I have a list, but it's not that great and I'd love to crowd source. What I have is below:

Brown (Dark Purple)

§  ?

§  ?

Light Blue

§  Solarium

§  Central Park

§  Whirlpool

Pink

§  Raspberry Collins

§  Nutty Scotchman

§  Drink of the Day

Orange

§  Balcony

§  Promenade

§  Bar

Red

§  Bridge

§  Galley

§  Engine Rooms

Yellow

§  SeaPlex

§  North Star

§  Carousel

Green

§  Main Theater

§  Aqua Theater

§  Studio B Ice Skating

Dark Blue

§  Main Dining Room

§  Windjammer

Stations

§  Harmony of the Seas

§  Jewel of the Seas

§  Radiance of the Seas

§  Brilliance of the Seas

Utilities

§  Embarkation

§  Debarkation

So I made Windjammer the biggest because my father LOVES the windjammer.  It's an unhealthy obsession.  We don't do suites, so I was hoping to stick to stuff we have actually done.  Where did the actual monopoly come from? Is that real???

I do like the idea of Labadee and Coco Cay (I looked at the official one).  We haven't been, but we are scheduled (last year it got cancelled). I was going to do captain and cruise director, but didn't want to "buy" a position.  

I will post when I'm done.  🙂

48 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

OK, you know I'm bored when I'm considering making a cruise themed monopoly for my parents (we are big board game people and I've gotten them into cruising RCL, and our cruise was canceled so I want to give them something to do).

We've been on Radiance, Jewel, Harmony and upcoming on Brilliance (they like the same ships).

What "properties" would you make? I have a list, but it's not that great and I'd love to crowd source. What I have is below:

Brown (Dark Purple)

§  ? Windjammer

§  ? Cafe Promenade

Light Blue

§  Solarium

§  Central Park

§  Boardwalk

Pink

§  Perfect Storm

§  FlowRider 

§  Ultimate Abyss

Orange

§  Rising Tide

§  Schooner Bar

§  Bionic Bar

Red

§  Chops

§  Giovanni 

§  CP 150

Yellow

§  Zip Line

§  Rock Wall

§  Carousel

Green

§  Opal Theater

§  Aqua Theater

§  Studio B 

Dark Blue

§  Suite Lounge

§  Coastal Kitchen

Stations

§  Miami 

§  Pt Everglades 

§  Pt Canaveral

§  Cape Liberty

Utilities

§  Guest Services

§  Vitality Spa

Or you could do by ship

2 hours ago, celoplyr said:

Celoplyr,  

How much time do you have?  Here is a difficult challenge.  Reverse the logic of monopoly, that being buying properties and collecting $$ for passing go, to each player starting with a bunch of $$$ and pay them out as you play. 

Sort of like paying gratuities each time you pass go.  Or buying a drink package, costs $75 per day, but with a 33% discount it’s only $65 per day (fuzzy math).  

And you will need better tokens on your game board? They all can’t be ships.  How about a slot machine, a mini towel animal, a valuable prize keychain.....?

The game would NOT be won by the player with the most money, it would have to always end in a tie, because some can spend big bucks, some go frugally, and all win because.....well....most people disembark feel like winners for going. 

Eddie

3 hours ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Celoplyr,  

How much time do you have?  Here is a difficult challenge.  Reverse the logic of monopoly, that being buying properties and collecting $$ for passing go, to each player starting with a bunch of $$$ and pay them out as you play. 

Sort of like paying gratuities each time you pass go.  Or buying a drink package, costs $75 per day, but with a 33% discount it’s only $65 per day (fuzzy math).  

And you will need better tokens on your game board? They all can’t be ships.  How about a slot machine, a mini towel animal, a valuable prize keychain.....?

The game would NOT be won by the player with the most money, it would have to always end in a tie, because some can spend big bucks, some go frugally, and all win because.....well....most people disembark feel like winners for going. 

Eddie

This....this is the brilliance I was looking for. I'm wondering, maybe a straight monopoly, maybe a variant. I have a while and a lot of brain power. 

What if I did it basically where each time you landed on something you paid for the experience... And then you get experience points for each thing you do. Experience points could be decided each game (bar drinks are 1 point for one game but the next game they could be 5). Hmmmm.  Challenge would be making the same board work for both. I now have a project!!

8 hours ago, celoplyr said:

This....this is the brilliance I was looking for. I'm wondering, maybe a straight monopoly, maybe a variant. I have a while and a lot of brain power. 

What if I did it basically where each time you landed on something you paid for the experience... And then you get experience points for each thing you do. Experience points could be decided each game (bar drinks are 1 point for one game but the next game they could be 5). Hmmmm.  Challenge would be making the same board work for both. I now have a project!!

Great idea, but its really not Monopoly anymore,  it's just a bored game

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Great idea, but its really not Monopoly anymore,  it's just a bored game

Let's think of it as a monopoly board with 2 variations. One, monopoly, and then another board game using the same board. I had a lot of ideas last night!! The variation may need to be tested to see if it works. That's the risk with making a new game. 

I do like the countdown option. Everyone starts with $20,000.  Each ‘property’ has a booking value. From inside guarantee up through the suite levels. Once ‘booked’, then the various properties become cruising costs. Start with something like drinks and bingo up through ship tours and high end dining. Instead of collecting $200 for passing go, you pay the daily gratuity. Last person with money wins. 

1 hour ago, cruisefan0110 said:

I do like the countdown option. Everyone starts with $20,000.  Each ‘property’ has a booking value. From inside guarantee up through the suite levels. Once ‘booked’, then the various properties become cruising costs. Start with something like drinks and bingo up through ship tours and high end dining. Instead of collecting $200 for passing go, you pay the daily gratuity. Last person with money wins. 

I like it too, but I was going to do a "how many days cruise are you going on" and do like $500/day. Each trip around the board would be a day so for a 7 day cruise, you would do 7 trips around the board, starting with $3500, and then tally up the money.  THe railroads can be shore excursions (I was thinking a deck of each type, with a random cost amount), and maybe at the end everyone gets to see what kinda of cruise they would have had.  I think you would need to have some incentive for spending money so people aren't just passing on everything, etc.

Ok CLEARLY I'm way bored.

AND I could make the typical monopoly property cards as well.  The idea of having activities on the properties is what the Arizona edition has, so it fits within the theme I think. That way you get 2 games in 1 board!