Goodbye Paul Gauguin

Dolebludger

All,

We are concerned about long distance travel anywhere, by any means right now. But when the pandemic is over, a vaccine has been developed, and we have had it, I will monitor the PG board to get the messages on how this turned out with Ponant, and if there were further ramifcations of it such as changes onboard. I am not impressed with the conduct of Ponant, but will give the PG another chance when we feel it is safe to do long distance travel again. I suppose everybody is entitled to one mistake, although Ponant's mistake here was a big one.

So we are on a Wilderness Travel PG chartered cruise in Dec. It is to view a Solar Eclipse - Had the resevation for almost two years.  We were presented with the new rules for cruising with Ponant (it is clear they are running the post Covid system) and it is quite restrictive.  We had planned a 3 days in Moorea before the cruise (got great miles based business seats on AF so had to adjust a day or so) then on board.  We will need two Covid test to meet the Tahiti and Ponant rules.  Also it apears that there is a super secret doctor clearance 30 days before.  There are also quite restrictive rules on board to prevent Covid transmisssion even though you have to be negative to get on board.  Do not completely understand that issue but...  At his point I think the experience will be very un luxury cruise like but ....  WT was told the cruise was going and at this point they could not be sure if we did not want to go what the refund if any would be.  I think that PG/Ponant need to be a lot more customer friendly or risk the reaction I have been reading so far. 

Has anyone else reviewed the PG/Ponant manifesto for cruising on PG? Am I over reacting?

Looking for some other views on the new PG rules

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

https://en.calameo.com/read/000132423bdb3b0a1a579?authid=k4a19tLoX9rj     Manifesto from PG

We had a great cruise two years ago and were looking forward to this trip so this is really about management rules and not the crew or the ship

3 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

There are also quite restrictive rules on board to prevent Covid transmisssion even though you have to be negative to get on board.  Do not completely understand that issue but... 

It's because you could take a test and be clear one day, and take another and be positive the next.  And there's no way of knowing that; someone could quite easily, unwittingly, bring the virus onboard.

In general I agree, you are in a tight spot!  As for refunds, I presume that this is the charter company, not Ponant.  But still, it sounds like you can't go to Moorea?  What a bummer.

• Like 1

I understand the asymptomatic carrier state of many diseases this one included. However if that theory of life is used there is almost no way to leave the house except in a full positive pressure air suit.  This theory that all risks need to be mitigated to zero by government or commercial businesses will/has brought the world to a stand still due to fear of the social media mob.  I still argue that careful pre screening. Being honest to eliminate those that are at a high risk for a bad outcome, and then make the ship is it own low  risk social pool as in Belgium.  The best thing we can do is be very clear that some exisiting conditions are above the risk tolerance for this event, so those folks can be refused "service"... and the others given the option to accept the risk for a "better trip"

WT did say that they expect us to sign a Covid waiver but those rarely standup in US courts.  

As far as refunds WT was clear that they would pass "back" as much as possible if the group cancelled but it sounded like PG/Ponant was giving them no options other than to go - trip was going with our ships restrictions - you chartered the boat - we set the rules - if you don't go  it is your loss even if we have changed the rules.  But as recenent history has shown can can change rapidly. Nothing is set in stone until the request to cancel is sent and the response received.  Important to note that WT was collecting the funds and doing so in a nonstandard manner for cruise (60% paid at about a year in advance) but were upfront about the payment schedule during the booking process - so fair.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, klkaylor78 said:

We will need two Covid test to meet the Tahiti and Ponant rules.  Also it apears that there is a super secret doctor clearance 30 days before.  There are also quite restrictive rules on board to prevent Covid transmisssion even though you have to be negative to get on board.  Do not completely understand that issue but...  At his point I think the experience will be very un luxury cruise like but ....  WT was told the cruise was going and at this point they could not be sure if we did not want to go what the refund if any would be.  I think that PG/Ponant need to be a lot more customer friendly or risk the reaction I have been reading so far. 

Has anyone else reviewed the PG/Ponant manifesto for cruising on PG? Am I over reacting?

Looking for some other views on the new PG rules

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

https://en.calameo.com/read/000132423bdb3b0a1a579?authid=k4a19tLoX9rj     Manifesto from PG

We had a great cruise two years ago and were looking forward to this trip so this is really about management rules and not the crew or the ship

I had read the travel advisory, but not the manifesto. I concur, it sounds like a very un luxury like cruise. It looks like they are trying very hard to make as safe of an environment as possible.  However the restrictions and unknowns would raise my stress level quite a bit, the exact opposite of something I want on a very expensive cruise or vacation.

I have read the report on Ponant’s new protocols and have attempted to read those cited in the post above. I’ll confess my eyesight will not allow me to read much of that small print on my  computer! I feel that any group that chartered the PG two years ago for December 2020 and are now being offered a significantly degraded product and should be offered a full cash refund if the group chose to cancel. Any American court would so rule, and the PG is shielding itself by “fine print” designating FP courts as the only remedy. I wonder if an American court would even honor that provision. I do not blame PG/Ponant, as they were simply unable to provide what they originally agreed. But still, it is failing to furnish anything near to it, and it is in contractual breach. 

Again, I am very happy that we had nothing booked when the pandemic hit.  The situation regarding the pandemic has degraded since I first posted anything about it. Now, I recommend that nobody cruise until the pandemic ends with a vaccine. As for the PG, to its unacceptable refund policy, I add the fact that it is already a hassle for us to travel half way around the world without the added hassle of these protocols. PG cruises aren’t cheap! While we would love to visit her again, we will not until the situation allows these protocols to be permanently removed. 

Note that we are not”anti-mask” people. To the contrary, we wear them anytime we are in public. But in our home area, we can keep those times fairly brief. And we advocate distancing. Unfortunately, we have concluded that there is no way to comply with reasonable protective protocols on an enjoyable cruise..

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 2