What CDC Grading System Does & Doesn’t Mean For Cruise Ships

Oxo

The CDC is taking web site "improvement" lessons from RCI - they completely revamped the site which reports ships status and the ship status is a bit harder to find.

Cruise Ship Color Status | Quarantine | CDC

Cruise lines have another week to opt in to the new COVID-19 program.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

According to the data as of yesterday, RCI hasn't opted in any ships, but all of the ships listed (20 out of the 25 in the fleet) are listed as "highly vaccinated" (at least 95%).

The colors also shifted, where most of the ships were yellow, now the majority are orange.

(Note from CDC web site: The “Orange” and “Yellow” ship colors were reversed for the COVID-19 program to go in a more logical color order.)

Edited by Biker19
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2022 at 5:14 AM, Biker19 said:

The CDC is taking web site "improvement" lessons from RCI - they completely revamped the site which reports ships status and the ship status is a bit harder to find.

Cruise Ship Color Status | Quarantine | CDC

Cruise lines have another week to opt in to the new COVID-19 program.

Technical Instructions for Mitigation of COVID-19 Among Cruise Ship Crew | Quarantine | CDC

According to the data as of yesterday, RCI hasn't opted in any ships, but all of the ships listed (20 out of the 25 in the fleet) are listed as "highly vaccinated" (at least 95%).

The colors also shifted, where most of the ships were yellow, now the majority are orange.

(Note from CDC web site: The “Orange” and “Yellow” ship colors were reversed for the COVID-19 program to go in a more logical color order.)

How do you find individual ships now?

• 2 weeks later...

Did we ever find out what it takes to get back to green after dropping to orange/yellow? That critical piece of info is nowhere to be found on the CDC website.

I wonder if some of these ship have been non-green for weeks if not months despite no recent issues

Edited by smokeybandit

On 2/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, smokeybandit said:

Did we ever find out what it takes to get back to green after dropping to orange/yellow? 

Without confirmation, we can assume that same criteria works in both directions. But with RCI providing the info and CDC managing the web site, the reality in the ship could be different. 

• 1 month later...

@Biker19 I just watched a great video of your new avatar on Rich Rebuilds on YouTube. That's the Aptera, for those that do not know. 

Looks very interesting. Biker if you have never watched that channel it is very interesting and hilarious at the same time. He is affiliated with a shop that does Tesla repairs and other builds.  He isn't a fan-boy of Tesla either, pointing out their downfalls and failures.  Just a couple examples of their builds, they built a battery powered rat rod for example, and also built a V8 Tesla and took it to SEMA. They also get into other hijinks. Maybe you already follow him.

21 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Biker if you have never watched that channel it is very interesting and hilarious at the same time.

Yes, his videos are quite entertaining. 

Biker, who is an Aptera brand ambassador and can provide a discount code to order one. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, his videos are quite entertaining. 

I’ve been following his adventures for a couple years now. I think you either love their style or you don’t. I love his twisted sense of humour. 

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Biker, who is an Aptera brand ambassador and can provide a discount code to order one. 

That’s cool. Immediately recognized your future ride when I watched Rich’s last upload. 

Not hard to find social media group discussions of numbers of people testing positive on their return home. I have no idea why this color coded business continues while souvenir cases are ignored. Do not take the color codes as any sort of reflection of your relative risk of catching covid on your sailing.