Sandals as an alternative?

On 7/3/2020 at 12:47 PM, CRZR58 said:

I'm curious how you get bored at an AI while you don't get bored on a cruise? What do you do on a cruise that you can't do at an AI?

AIs are great options. However, their entertainment is the pool, drinks, and occasional music. All in all, they are fairly quiet, especially Sandals. I love the pool and beach, but not all day, every day. The nightlife at a cruise ship is what makes the biggest difference. Comedy shows, stage shows, bars with live music, night clubs. You can draw parallels where you want, but AIs don't do it the same way.

On 7/3/2020 at 2:16 PM, mjkacmom said:

There is so much more to do at an AI, snorkeling, water skiing, scuba, golf, kayaking, paddle boarding, tennis, pool and ocean swimming...

I can do all of these things on a cruise too. I'll definitely hit the ocean and snorkel wherever I go. Maybe one more activity and that's it.

Edited by Joebucks

Where I am the two hospitals nearest me are using a fast test before surgery. There are several available, most of which are not FDA approved. This is according to my doctor.

For most of May and June elective surgeries were being allowed here. During that time it was confirmed the one they're using here has about 20% false positives but no confirmed false negatives were experienced. If you test positive they do the long version test. Had a work friend who tested positive on the first test but negative on the second.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

AIs are great options. However, their entertainment is the pool, drinks, and occasional music. All in all, they are fairly quiet, especially Sandals. I love the pool and beach, but not all day, every day. The nightlife at a cruise ship is what makes the biggest difference. Comedy shows, stage shows, bars with live music, night clubs. You can draw parallels where you want, but AIs don't do it the same way.

I totally agree.  I won a trip to a AI in St Lucia and while there were many daytime excursions we went on the evening was lacking.  One evening  there was a beach BBQ but after 9-10pm nothing to do but sit in outdoor lounge and listen to local music.    

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I can do all of these things on a cruise too. I'll definitely hit the ocean and snorkel wherever I go. Maybe one more activity and that's it.

I too miss the evening activities.  The flow riding too. 

On 6/30/2020 at 1:52 PM, CRZR58 said:

Covid aside, we love Sandals, but we don't love all AI's.

Pros:

Way cheaper for Canadian's in a package than cruising.

No kids.

Rooms that are bigger than ship cabins, but some we've stayed in needed updating.

Restaurants are better than any MDR on any cruise weve been on except maybe Windstar.

We like the beach and pools, way bigger than on ships and included in the price.

Booze is included. Bar scene is generally livelier.

Italian coffee, ice cream, fresh baked cookies all included.

Stay at one, go to many increases the number of restaurants and beaches you can try.

We find excursions to be cheaper, longer, less crowded and no worries about getting back late if anything happens.

'Yard Sales' are weekly instead of nightly.

Cons:

Not on the sea. (Biggest reason we cruise, but we always take a Catamaran day trip anyway)

Nightly shows aren't as good.

Only one island.

Everything you like about it is available on cruises also. Plus in different countries and locations. Far wider variety cruising. As for the food. You can enjoy many of the specialty dining for up scale food and still pay less in the long run. You mention beaches and pools included in the price. Same on a cruise is it not? I have never paid to go in a pool or on a beach when cursing. Bigger pools than on the ship. Yes. But so are the port swimming pools. Excursions are a lot cheaper if you purchase off of the ship. Just make sure you go early so you will not miss the ship. That is what we do. Horse and buggy rides are nice. Cruising to us is the best time away from home. I live in Florida a 20 min ride to the beach, if I wish. So much to do and see on a cruise and different ports unlike staying in one place for a week. My opinion only. To each their own.

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Everything you like about it is available on cruises also. Plus in different countries and locations. Far wider variety cruising. As for the food. You can enjoy many of the specialty dining for up scale food and still pay less in the long run. You mention beaches and pools included in the price. Same on a cruise is it not? I have never paid to go in a pool or on a beach when cursing. Bigger pools than on the ship. Yes. But so are the port swimming pools. Excursions are a lot cheaper if you purchase off of the ship. Just make sure you go early so you will not miss the ship. That is what we do. Horse and buggy rides are nice. Cruising to us is the best time away from home. I live in Florida a 20 min ride to the beach, if I wish. So much to do and see on a cruise and different ports unlike staying in one place for a week. My opinion only. To each their own.

Sure, everything is available, but it's at an extra cost, including going to any beach that's not within walking distance or pools on shore.

Different islands are nice, but honestly, the same excursions are on every island and AI excursion prices are the same or better than purchasing 'off ship'.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:24 PM, Joebucks said:

Most AI's have a nightly show, although I'll certainly say that cruises do them better. Still, it's only 45 minutes a night so not a big loss for us.

I'll give you comedy shows and live music as a cruise plus, but the night clubs in AI's are as good as the one's on the ship and if you want something else, you can always go to the best night clubs in town for an extra cost.

Thanks to both of you for your answers. I've always wondered why cruisers say they'd be bored on shore at an AI when the two products are more the same than they are different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

If I lived 20 minutes from a warm beach with palm trees I probably wouldn't be interested in booking an AI beach vacation either 🙂

You are also within driving distance to several cruise ports, so the cost for you to cruise is going to be considerably less than someone from Canada who has to fly to the port.  For many Canadians, it's cheaper to book an AI package vs. going on a week long cruise.  Many upscale resort chains (like Sandals) include excursions in the price so there is no extra costs involved.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2020 at 9:27 PM, A&L_Ont said:

We are supposed to be on Freedom this January 17, 2021. We just booked Sandals in Antigua last night as a back up.  At the current rate I think it will our only chance to go anywhere. We stayed at this Sandals before and it has reopened in early June.

They are not all open yet, but they are scheduled to open if not already. Check their website for dates. We have also been to their resort in Nassau and Barbados this past January.  There is testing when you arrive in Antigua and mask wearing at the resort, along with social distancing.  However, you will not be stuck on a ship if it gets infected. You best check to see what happens if you test positive when you arrive at the island.

Final payment for our cruise is October 2nd.  Sandals has our fully refundable deposit and we have to pay by December 14th, for our late January stay. We will switch our flight from San Juan to Antigua.  

We booked a Ronoval with our own plunge pool, hot tub, bar, Butler and we are not far from the beach. If we need to social distance in January it will be easy to do in our room.

Hopefully one of these two trips can happen. 

3AD89CF7-D306-447D-A525-9AAFDC0EA94F.thumb.jpeg.2c951148eac81198d0b69f4e8fdd7812.jpeg

Nice! If I may be a bit rude, how does the cost compare to a cruise. Are we talking balcony, suite, grand suite or what?

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Nice! If I may be a bit rude, how does the cost compare to a cruise. Are we talking balcony, suite, grand suite or what?

A suite comparable to Star Class. We would not normally book this room, but a different butler room.  In this case we booked a room that we could be fully contained if we needed to isolate from the masses. 

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1