Ncl refusing to refund cash.

penlanspice

Anyone having the same problem.

We were on an original sailing in April which was cancelled and paid via a credit card, then we re-booked with the fcc and discount to a cruise in Sept on thejewel which has now been cancelled. Called ncl for a refund as we're not going to rebook due to the inflation of prices and they've told us we can only have it as cruise credit as that's what we paid with for this cruise! When we rebooked we were assured if this cruise was cancelled we'd get a cash refund we never would of booked otherwise.

Absolutely furious at this stage.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

Anyone having the same problem.

We were on an original sailing in April which was cancelled and paid via a credit card, then we re-booked with the fcc and discount to a cruise in Sept on thejewel which has now been cancelled. Called ncl for a refund as we're not going to rebook due to the inflation of prices and they've told us we can only have it as cruise credit as that's what we paid with for this cruise! When we rebooked we were assured if this cruise was cancelled we'd get a cash refund we never would of booked otherwise.

Absolutely furious at this stage.

Similar situation here and beyond furious at their unethical behavior. I know I;ll leave out some details but here goes.

We had independent CFAR insurance so we did not want a Peace of Mind cancellation. In fact, the last thing we wanted was a gift certificate with an expiration date for a cruise line that was involved in a forced shutdown and was burning through cash and borrowing more at remarkably high interest rates.

We deliberately and carefully initiated our cancellation back in March after TA and I called to confirm that cruise next certificates would be 100% forfeited in penalty period but we would be refunded in cash for unused port charges and beverage gratuities. They confirmed this to be true, and my TA cancelled and followed up with me in a simultaneous writing confirming this. NCL also emailed me indicating refunds would be issued in 7-10 days. By the way, the answer was consistent with NCLs own terms and conditions of the cruise next program....certificates are refunded to the latitudes account net of cancellation fees and penalty schedule for cruise next mirrors that of any other booking. Our cancellation fees are well in excess of the cruise next certificates, and I was in 100% penalty period.

So, 10 days pass with no action from NCL so we swiftly initiated a chargeback with VISA and received credit for the taxes and fees and beverage charges that are owed. NCL responds to the chargeback with a canned 42 page Peace of Mind policy and ignores the inquiry about where the cash is. So, the bank went back to NCL to inquire again....where is the cash refund? Of course, they have not responded.

And now at 95 days we get a cruise next certificate for the port fees and still nothing on the beverage charges. This is a company that will stop at nothing to rip off their customers. They'll evidently even materially breach the terms of their own contract to not have to pay out cash. When you inquire about the refund, their uninformed, rude reservation agents just say, oh, the system does that and the system can't be wrong.

Now they'll probably respond to the the bank that they've refunded our port charges and taxe to a gift certificate for $400 and I don't know what story they will make up about the $600 of beverage charges. I imagine they are thinking through how they can unethically screw over their customer on the $600, too, hence the 95 day delay. Hopefully, they'll also tell the bank that the gift certificate is useless and of no value as they are in a complete shutdown which is unlikely to be lifted any time soon, which means further cash burn and a predictable bankruptcy filing. Oh, and for sailings that they are marketing, the rates are artificially increased.. I am hopeful that the bank can read and understand the cruise next contract and also review the email chain from March stating refunds were coming to the credit card ending in xxxx.

I have no intention of caving in to them either. I am digging in just like they are. The fortunate thing is that I never actually paid the VISA bill because I booked the cruise in mid February when the Virus was isolated to Asia. I totally underestimated the eventual spread. By late March, I knew the cruise was going to be cancelled so I cancelled before the credit card payment was due. So, I am truly not out any cash at this point, unless the bank reopens the chargeback based on the gift certificate that was issued.

I truly hope that this post will help other unsuspetcing guests to be informed and at least consider the unethical practices of the business. There is a lot behind the beautiful ship pictures and blue seas on their website. You need to be very careful when you deal with NCL. Get everything in writing and pray you don't have an issue. Always buy solid travel insurance when dealing with NCL. It is my belief that it is a corrupt organization from the top-down, and not just because of this issue. But there have been numerous documented instances of potentially corrupt practices. The Department of Justice is even investigating them. It is very sad, because for the most part, we have had memorable times onboard the ships. However, those memorable times can easily be transferred elsewhere and are far outweighed by the grief, aggravation, and chaos that they create. We had only taken cruise vacations for the last five or so years. We've actually started touring some National Parks over the past few months. We had wonderful times, so there is a life after cruising for us, thankfully.

Be well everyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

We were on an original sailing in April which was cancelled and paid via a credit card, then we re-booked with the fcc and discount to a cruise in Sept on thejewel which has now been cancelled. Called ncl for a refund as we're not going to rebook due to the inflation of prices and they've told us we can only have it as cruise credit as that's what we paid with for this cruise!......

From a(ny) business point of view, this makes absolute sense. At the time you could have requested a cash refund, you chose the 125% and had a discount applied. How could you possibly then expect a cash refund from the now cancelled September cruise, paid by fcc? 

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, hamrag said:

From a(ny) business point of view, this makes absolute sense. At the time you could have requested a cash refund, you chose the 125% and had a discount applied. How could you possibly then expect a cash refund from the now cancelled September cruise, paid by fcc? 

I"m not sure that the expectation is unreasonable. But I do think OP is out of luck. The way they put the time limits on applying for a refund, it's not too late to get a refund for the april cruise. And the September cruise is simply being refunded to the same method of payment. I do think it's a poor business practice. At this point I think Norwegian is trying to hang onto every dollar they can get in the short term rather than trying to hang onto customers for the long term. 

OP, you could try a charge back and see how far you get with that. You booked a cruise and they failed to provide the service. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

When we re-booked we asked and confirmed twice that the cash would be refunded if the next one was cancelled, she told us yes. I dont expect to be lied to! I'm obviously going to believe what I'm told. To have my original form of cash is not costing them more money its just my original form of payment. We would never of booked knowing that we would be stuck as a fcc, not only that I have a time limit to spend it and the next 2 years I'm not going to be able to take a cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

When we re-booked we asked and confirmed twice that the cash would be refunded if the next one was cancelled, she told us yes. I dont expect to be lied to! I'm obviously going to believe what I'm told. To have my original form of cash is not costing them more money its just my original form of payment. We would never of booked knowing that we would be stuck as a fcc, not only that I have a time limit to spend it and the next 2 years I'm not going to be able to take a cruise.

Can you ask for a recording of your conversation?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, hamrag said:

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

I"m not sure that the expectation is unreasonable. But I do think OP is out of luck. The way they put the time limits on applying for a refund, it's not too late to get a refund for the april cruise. And the September cruise is simply being refunded to the same method of payment. I do think it's a poor business practice. At this point I think Norwegian is trying to hang onto every dollar they can get in the short term rather than trying to hang onto customers for the long term. 

OP, you could try a charge back and see how far you get with that. You booked a cruise and they failed to provide the service. 

This is our next stop. We're going to be putting in a charge back claim with our cc. Apparently all calls are recorded with ncl too, the agent confirmed that we would get a cash refund.

Going by numerous posts online, ncl have lost many loyal customers, this will be detrimental to them in the long run. We certainly won't be cruising with them again.

• Like 1

See this is the problem I'm having. Somebody please correct me if I'm hallucinating. I usually cruise Carnival or Royal, this would have been my first. Before They changed the Peace of Mind March, wasn't the policy that you received, port fees, taxes, gratuities, drink and all the extras no matter who cancels back to your form of payment. I looked on my cruise contract and the specifics make you click the link on their website, they've updated a few times and the old info is missing.

A significantly problem is the assumption people have thinking it’s one long transaction.     It isn’t.    The terms of a single cruise are separate.    And ENDED when payment was made with the acceptance of cash or FCC.     

It’s very clear—.  Refunds are based on- type of payment.   And if you paid with FCC-   That is what you will get back. 

The second complaint here has nothing to do with the op.   Different terms -  they canceled.     Would be clearer just starting their own post.   Since it’s bound to get muddled.    

• Like 6

I thought you said did I have anything to do with the prosecution not the investigating.

People will hear what they want to here but not what was said and then make an excuse when it is caught on recording.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, pickle11 said:

I thought you said did I have anything to do with the prosecution not the investigating.

People will hear what they want to here but not what was said and then make an excuse when it is caught on recording.  

?????      Good grief-    This is about what and to whom?    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, penlanspice said:

This is our next stop. We're going to be putting in a charge back claim with our cc...

My advice would be to file a Section 75 claim, rather than a chargeback. The chargeback process is only for claims up to £100, presumably the amount is way more than that...hence S 75.

19 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

?????      Good grief-    This is about what and to whom?    

Making a analogy.  Political sarcasm.  What was actually said during a conversation.  And what was heard.   A recording would be helpful as stated earlier.

I do agree with you on when someone accepts a FCC on a cruise then that transaction is completed.  They should have accepted the money at that point and then rebook.  They would have then paid cash again and therefore entitled to cash again.  The second cruise was purchased with a FCC

Edited by pickle11
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, penlanspice said:

This is our next stop. We're going to be putting in a charge back claim with our cc. Apparently all calls are recorded with ncl too, the agent confirmed that we would get a cash refund.

Going by numerous posts online, ncl have lost many loyal customers, this will be detrimental to them in the long run. We certainly won't be cruising with them again.

Cash will be refunded IF you requested officially within the timed limits- per nstructions.    BUT in your post-  you paid at least part with FCC?     You have NOTHING but FCC coming back.     It is in NO way linked to another cruise-  although you seem to think so.    

• Like 2

The original cruise was paid in full and then refunded in the form of a FCC.  That completed that transaction. 

The second cruise was booked and paid for with the FCC.  That is now a new, completed transaction. 

To get a cash refund on the second transaction is not possible because cash was not the original method of payment for the second transaction. 

The fact that you were given bad information by an NCL rep is not surprising.  It says the rep didn't understand the difference in the two transactions either.  Your only hope is the recorded conversation that points to the NCL rep's incompetence.  Otherwise, you're stuck with the FCC.  If that's the case, perhaps some time will open up in your calendar that allows for a cruise.  I would be really stress out if I was already booked up for the next two years.  Hope it works out!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

The original cruise was paid in full and then refunded in the form of a FCC.  That completed that transaction. 

The second cruise was booked and paid for with the FCC.  That is now a new, completed transaction. 

To get a cash refund on the second transaction is not possible because cash was not the original method of payment for the second transaction. 

The fact that you were given bad information by an NCL rep is not surprising.  It says the rep didn't understand the difference in the two transactions either.  Your only hope is the recorded conversation that points to the NCL rep's incompetence.  Otherwise, you're stuck with the FCC.  If that's the case, perhaps some time will open up in your calendar that allows for a cruise.  I would be really stress out if I was already booked up for the next two years.  Hope it works out!

You also can not assume where the  “fault” is.   

As a general comment-  

Some may very well could have paid additionally with- cash ( credit card).   And the agent would have been correct in the answer.     Resulting in hearing what they wanted to hear.   

These posts are rarely with all the details.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

You also can not assume where the  “fault” is.   

The op may very well could have paid additionally with- cash ( credit card).   And the agent would have been correct in the answer.     Resulting in the op hearing what they wanted to hear.   

These posts are rarely with all the details.   

Excellent point!  My comments were made assuming that the OP heard correctly.  If the recording of the conversation still exists, it will be very helpful, I'm sure.

I will add that I have been given faulty info. by an NCL rep before...though it didn't cost me any money...thankfully.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

2 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Excellent point!  My comments were made assuming that the OP heard correctly.  If the recording of the conversation still exists, it will be very helpful, I'm sure.

I don’t want to assume either. So amended as a general reply.     

7 hours ago, penlanspice said:

Just so you know - the run-around I’m getting from MSC is a whole lot worse! My TA canceled my 9/2020 cruise way before final payment was even due. At the 70 day mark, he called to see where I was in the process...he was told that he completed the refund request incorrectly and had to re-request/resubmit. I trust him implicitly and I know he did the refund correctly, especially after reading on the MSC boards that more people than not are being told the same story. Not every TA completed the refund requests incorrectly - and even if they did, why didn’t MSC notify them of the error?? Because they are making up an excuse to buy them time!

I’ve booked a 9/2021 cruise on NCL and will never book with MSC again! 

1 minute ago, NayRN said:

Just so you know - the run-around I’m getting from MSC is a whole lot worse!

My mom used to say that just when you think your problem is bad, there's always someone out there has has it worse.  I'm sure there are lots of horror stories across all lines.  I read a post by someone stating that Crystal was holding their 5 figure refund.  Yikes!  

Hope you get yours figured out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

My mom used to say that just when you think your problem is bad, there's always someone out there has has it worse.  I'm sure there are lots of horror stories across all lines.  I read a post by someone stating that Crystal was holding their 5 figure refund.  Yikes!  

Hope you get yours figured out.

Thanks! I have faith in my TA - and you’re right - someone will typically have either the same or worse horror story!

I thought I would add our recent experience with NCL. We were ready to sail the 14 day Baltics cruise in May but you all know how that was upended. I was waiting for NCL to cancel, and they finally did, but as soon as they opened the refund request window, they shut it down. We were told the window would reopen, but only have 5 days to make the refund request or the $5k would be issued as FCC. With all the uncertainty regarding covid's future we made the refund request knowing it would take (hopefully) 90 days to receive. It's only been 50 days and today we had our $. While I don't know the future of cruising, much less what that future of cruising will look like, it was nice to see that as cash strapped as they are they at did what they said, early. 

I received our final payment but for some reason they are still holding onto the deposit which was made in credit card. 120!days already and TA said they cannot help. Will use charge back tomorrow and lodge a complaint against TA with the state attorney general

• Like 2