Silver Origin Sails for Ecuador

DCCruiser57

12 hours ago, philipb said:

we would have to start thinking about flight bookings before long which is much too soon. (We go everywhere using 'miles'!)

It's likely that Oct. '20 is the soonest you can book flights, points or $$$. We're booked for 10/21 and have until 6/21 to cancel with refund of our deposit.

6 hours ago, clo said:

It's likely that Oct. '20 is the soonest you can book flights, points or $$$. We're booked for 10/21 and have until 6/21 to cancel with refund of our deposit.

We had prepaid in full and there were rather a lot of £££ riding on this. That was another factor which caused us to cancel.

4 hours ago, philipb said:

We had prepaid in full and there were rather a lot of £££ riding on this. That was another factor which caused us to cancel.

Did you prepay in full to get a 10% discount? I booked ours after COVID had raised its ugly head and there was no way I was going to risk that much money if they wound up in bankruptcy.

1 minute ago, clo said:

Did you prepay in full to get a 10% discount? I booked ours after COVID had raised its ugly head and there was no way I was going to risk that much money if they wound up in bankruptcy.

As you are from Reno and Nevada, glad to hear that you were very smart and savvy by not "GAMBLING" with that much money by being fully paid up during a period .  My current best guess and speculation is that it will not be till January 2020, maybe, if and if, that Silversea and the other cruise lines are able to resume somewhat "normal" sailings in the Galapagos Islands.  And, even then, will the ships be limited to just 50% capacity?? 

Many uncertainties are remaining as to how such sailings, food service, testing, air flights, etc., etc., will work and offer what type of "experience".   We will recover, it's just a question of when and how!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 67,346 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

30 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you mean '21 or '22?  At least with SS the shore excursion/DIY issue is moot.   I'm a guppy not a whale when gambling 🙂

YES, my goof in saying 2020.  Meant to say 2021.  But could it be 2022??  Glad to know you are wisely only a "guppy", not a whale when it comes to gambling.  Cute and wise!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Yes, we booked way back in 2019 when money lent to Silversea seemed as good as money in the Bank. How times change!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, philipb said:

Yes, we booked way back in 2019 when money lent to Silversea seemed as good as money in the Bank. How times change!

Great and wise reference above as to "as good as money in the bank".  Clearly money held in the accounts of the foreign-based cruise lines are NOT insured and protected by the U.S. and/or UK governments.  Those moneys could and would be at risk if default or other "things" happen.  YES!!  The "times" have changed.  There's an old saying here as to "Buyer Beware"!!!  Very, very true these days.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,042 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Today, SS delayed the first sailing of the Origin from October 3rd to November 7th.   From their website.

Silver Origin•     OR201107007 - From November 7, 2020, Silver Origin will resume sailing

Appreciate this update!!  Silversea is finally getting more realistic.  Sorry for those whose bookings have been cancelled.  Good luck for those with future hopes and bookings.  

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 50,049 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Silver Origin has left dock in Manta and is sailing a close route near the port.

Aug 26th 6:07pm local time speed 6 knots.

A little practise before the trip to Galapagos?? 

Edited by gui218
time

On 8/26/2020 at 7:12 PM, gui218 said:

Silver Origin has left dock in Manta and is sailing a close route near the port.

Aug 26th 6:07pm local time speed 6 knots. A little practise before the trip to Galapagos?? 

Great update and tracking as to the progress of this exciting new Silversea ship.  How much "practice" can they do with this new ship?  It is still more than two months before the first sailing, maybe, if and if, could happen.  Will keep watching with interest as things hopefully progress for the Galapagos Islands.

Kotor/Montenegro:  Exciting visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this scenic, historic location. Over 47,812 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

I think it's more likely that they don't have a permanent mooring spot in the port at Manta, so they need to sail out of port and return when they need to load provisions/unload waste.

But I think it's also logical to guess they might also need the crew to practice things like launching and recovering zodiacs, a key component of what this ship does, and something a new crew on a new ship has likely had limited experience doing expect during limited trials in Europe.

47 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I think it's more likely that they don't have a permanent mooring spot in the port at Manta, so they need to sail out of port and return when they need to load provisions/unload waste.  But I think it's also logical to guess they might also need the crew to practice things like launching and recovering zodiacs, a key component of what this ship does, and something a new crew on a new ship has likely had limited experience doing expect during limited trials in Europe.

Much appreciate this excellent follow-up and two very good points from our smart Pennsylvania neighbor as to why the Silver Origin might be making these moves out in the Pacific. Also, my view/speculation is still that this newest Silversea ship will not be operating until, maybe, if and if, mid December 2020.  Only time will tell.  Lots of variables and questions!!

From this below publication earlier this past week, they had this headline for the current top story about and affecting this island group: Huge Chinese Fishing Fleets Threaten Galapagos’ Amazing Marine Life” with these highlights: “More than 300 foreign fishing ships, almost all Chinese, have been sitting in international waters surrounding the Galapagos Islands since late July.  As these vessels are in international waters, their presence is technically lawful. They are reportedly fishing for squid and have been coming to this location for four years. However, the ecological reality is that fish do not recognise state boundaries and therefore fishing at this scale so close to the Galapagos Marine Reserve implies a serious risk for endangered, migratory species found within the protected area such as whale sharks and hammerhead sharks. The news has led to an outcry in Galapagos. Locals there still clearly remember the 2017 capture of a Chinese fishing ship that was found inside the marine reserve with thousands of sharks onboard, including endangered species.”

Here is more background from their reporting:  "This latest incident is a stark reminder of the incongruous nature of the law of the sea, which recognises that the ocean is an interrelated whole yet takes a zonal approach to regulation that results in a mismatch between law and natural ecosystems. International waters, or the “high seas”, make up 61% of the ocean but a fragmented legal framework allows only weak regulation of human activities."

Full story at:

https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/08/huge-chinese-fishing-fleets-threaten-galapagos-amazing-marine-life/

Dubrovnik!  Nice visual samples, tips, details, etc., for this super scenic location. Over 47,467 views.    

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I think it's more likely that they don't have a permanent mooring spot in the port at Manta, so they need to sail out of port and return when they need to load provisions/unload waste.

But I think it's also logical to guess they might also need the crew to practice things like launching and recovering zodiacs, a key component of what this ship does, and something a new crew on a new ship has likely had limited experience doing expect during limited trials in Europe.

A number of the Origin’s Ecuadorean crew were on our October Cloud voyage and spent a considerable amount of time training in the zodiacs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Picked up yesterday some good, positive updating regarding the Galapagos Islands.  This is independent of Silversea and it is background that I trust to be solid and credible.  First, the Galapagos and Ecuador has been "opened up" without the need to do a two-week quarantine immediately upon arrival in that country.  Second, air connections between mainland Ecuador and the Galapagos are now slowly starting to become available.  The number of flights is still somewhat limited, but this is still a slow progress somewhat forward.  My guessing now is that maybe in November or early December that some larger cruise companies such as Silversea, Celebrity, Lindblad, etc., could start sailing again.  

As I understand, if planning this trip, there will be a need to take Covid-19 test BOTH before flying to Ecuador AND immediately prior to boarding the ship in the Galapagos Islands.  There still could varied "twists and turns", but at least there is some "light at the end of the tunnel".  Another experienced expert views these timing potentials still as "fluid" depending if infection rates would go back up in Ecuador, etc.  

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 36,218 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Galapagos Islands.

We're booked for next fall and have until June to cancel. Of many destinations I'm holding out a little hope for this trip. Flying from the US (DFW, MIA) to Quito is only five hours. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

23 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

As I understand, if planning this trip, there will be a need to take Covid-19 test BOTH before flying to Ecuador AND immediately prior to boarding the ship in the Galapagos Islands.

This illustrates one key matter which will have to become known before cruising resumes in earnest: what happens if you're booked and paid, and test positive either before leaving home, or even worse, before boarding a ship at the port of embarkation? Or during the cruise? Are you out-of-pocket for the entire cruise? For a hotel to quarantine in for two weeks? For last-minute air travel to get you home from wherever you're stranded? Will any insurance cover anything COVID-related? It will be hard to make cruise plans without understanding how these issues will be dealt with. 

On 9/5/2020 at 10:55 AM, cruiseej said:

what happens if you're booked and paid, and test positive either before leaving home, or even worse, before boarding a ship at the port of embarkation? Or during the cruise? Are you out-of-pocket for the entire cruise? For a hotel to quarantine in for two weeks?  Will any insurance cover anything COVID-related? It will be hard to make cruise plans without understanding how these issues will be dealt with. 

Super excellent series of important questions above by our CC Board neighbor in Pennsylvania. Just for what travel insurance will and will not cover can be the key "GO" or No-GO" pivot point as we try to decide when and whether to cruise again.  

The more you learn, then there is an even higher level of serious questions that come to the forefront.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 31,063 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

• 2 months later...

See that as of yesterday Silversea posted this update/delay for any resuming of sailing in the Galapagos Islands that it will not start, if and if, until early February 2021.  Posted by SS as:

Silver Origin:   OR210206007 - From February 6, 2021, Silver Origin will resume sailing

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 30,183 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580