Hapag-Lloyd Cruises 10 point plan for re-commencement of cruises.

English Voyager

HL still has not replied to my email I sent right after my 10/22 post asking how QR-less and WHO-less Americans are to board their ships.  The phone also does not timely connect to humans and I even landed up with a long distance call bill to Rumania from when I was on hold ( I wonder if there contractors for HL in Rumania now?).  Some Germans on FB have also complained about poor HL cruises phone service, given the price of cruises. Perhaps the TUI ownership extension along with Covid is leading to substantive service cutbacks, as it has on all lines? Or maybe priority is given to answer travel agent calls ( mine was previously not able to properly or timely deal with HL which is why I had started doing my own bookings there, which went fine until Covid).

In theory we can get on in January, and there are a couple the  that were tempting, but after initial happiness about the loosening, I am losing interest.  If they cannot even properly reply and answer important questions to get a new booking, I cannot count on help, as a non-EU and rare foreigner, when things go wrong. I will just keep the bookings I have ( Ocean Sun this year and next) for now, and see what plays out with the first one.  If I lose my money because they cannot get things together, I will cancel the one in 2023 and HL cruises will only be a fond memory in my retirement years as opposed to a place I spend time.

As I said before... what´s on their website is still referring to the German passengers who either have the QR code or the WHO booklet.

Be happy that you have a phone line you can call with HL! TUI Cruises has quit all phone lines since the pandemic started. By Oct 7th, 2021 there´s a phone number for travel agents. Still nothing for passengers. And you´re happy to receive an answer to an email within 3 weeks. Sorry for being a bit sarcastic! I agree that this is not the type of communication I expect from a luxury cruise line.

steamboats

mrs catlover54- if you are going to the German website of HLC you eventually can find a telephone number  - i translate "only bookable  by phone " cruises departing within a few days - however there is a phone number  attached 

I am afraid cruise companies are dealing with passengers from different areas  in  various ways is going on for ages ( including sometimes practicing  very various cruise fares ) - in the 90s i was forced to buy my Cunard cruises in the UK . Years ago there was even a 25 % fare difference between Us and EU on a luxury brand owned by Carnival. 

Unfortunately this covid pandemic made it clear that every  EU country was doing  its own way until 1st of July 

and in my country far stricter rules were imposed since yesterday especially for visits to restaurants and bars  - some vaccine opposers even want to go to a court . 

On 11/1/2021 at 11:46 PM, steamboats said:

As I said before... what´s on their website is still referring to the German passengers who either have the QR code or the WHO booklet.

Be happy that you have a phone line you can call with HL! TUI Cruises has quit all phone lines since the pandemic started. By Oct 7th, 2021 there´s a phone number for travel agents. Still nothing for passengers. And you´re happy to receive an answer to an email within 3 weeks. Sorry for being a bit sarcastic! I agree that this is not the type of communication I expect from a luxury cruise line.

steamboats

But stopping  phone service due to a pandemic makes perfect sense, *even when HL ships are sailing and passengers may have issues,* because every doctor knows that Covid-19 is very infectious over the phone -- even more so than over email, right? Right? 🙄

Seabourn got Carnivorized, and HL appears to have gotten TUI-ed.  Maybe it would have happened even without Covid?

I understand that with the Covid-induced decline in revenue some people had to be fired, but it will be hard for HL to get their revenue back up if they do not resume  communications, as a negative feedback loop will be set up.

Even Celebrity, a mass market line, ( though a better one) has a responsive phone line.

VISTAman, it will be interesting to hear what level of service you have on your upcoming E2 cruise in Dubai.  I was tempted to do the round trip on Europa to/from there in January though I generally avoid the Middle East, because I miss the ship ( I found a half full tube of HL hair conditioner in my back drawer,  and the aroma brought back fond memories).  But I cannot, with this level of uncertainty and inability to get questions answered.  They would likely take my booking money over the phone and then just disappear or deny boarding if my Covid paperwork format is deemed wrong, and unlike you, I am not keen on international legal actions even if in the right.

I  booked Silverseas instead to Peru through the Panama Canal, to try their new Moon ship during that month, even though my dining quality expectations are not too high and it is not an ideal destination. The new SALT food program sounds interesting so it is worth trying, and is a chance for SS to win me back for some future itineraries.  The SS Dawn will have the same SALT program when it starts sailing this spring and summer in Europe.  Crystal again, Ponant ( a short music cruise) , and the new SB Venture are also booked within the next year.

Today is the day the US welcomes Europeans again. Let us all hope we will not see a new variant this winter.

Catlover54 ,

Professionaly  I had to dance with laws during my entire career ... it was not so complicated at all .

Just one article of the Eur Treaty 😁

TUI seems to be very powerful - with approval of European Commission TUI did receive 4 bil € support from Germany or the banks.  However TUI did save the small  airport in my hometown; 

And Royal C is also involved...in HLC

I will observe and verify all  the levels on board but especially the F&B operations, however after done more as 35 cruises - probably HLC will take some special care ( as done by all cruise companies ) - we must be honest :wait and see.

For me the door with Seabourn remains  closed especially by the huge single sup and the far too obvious savings and cuttings in F&B operations. 

My TA was on the Moon and was very positive - it seems some caviar is free on SS again and Pommery Champagne better as some other bubbles on all inclusive lines IMHO 

I am supposed to visit the US in April 22 , I hope the entrance will be smooth - it seems the European QR is not enough as prove , lucky I kept the tickets received in the vaccination center as proof. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a reply from HL to my late October email asking about the stated QR code and WHO certificate requirement  (which Americans do not have), regarding the Ocean Sun Festival cruise on Europa in late May (starts in Canary Islands):

"Dear ----

Please excuse the late reply, but we needed to check your request with the local authorities.

For the cruise your vaccination certificate is sufficient.

There may be restriction on visiting sights in some cities, as not all countries accept a vaccination card. 

Regarding the Covid test, we will inform you approximately four weeks before your cruise starts whether an antigen or PCR test is required. 

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us."

I realize this is all preliminary and this is the best they can do right now, and of course now there is our new uninvited variant visitor Omicron (present in both Germany and the US). If this cruise actually goes forward as an Ocean Sun Festival, absent more barriers, I would go just for the music and being back on the ship (haven't been on since September 2019).  But going forward, I will not want to cruise or travel in any other way either to places where I cannot visit the country's main  sights despite being triple vaxxed (probably quadruple vaxxed by then, with my age and risks!) and testing negative.  That issue will face not just HL cruisers, of course.  If a country values foreign tourists something will be figured out  (the authorities may indeed decide they do not value foreign tourists anymore,  if their social welfare support systems are strong enough to support loss of income to their citizens in the travel business).

17 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

There may be restriction on visiting sights in some cities, as not all countries accept a vaccination card. 

At least here in Europe I haven´t heard yet that the US vaccination card has not been accepted by any EU country.

France (for free) and Switzerland (for a 30 Swiss Francs fee) do approve your CDC card and get you a digital QR code which can be used all over Europe with the EU apps. I read that the verification in France can take some time (not to say some people waited for weeks). But in both countries you can also use the CDC card.

steamboats

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, steamboats said:

BTW, by mid February all guests have to have their booster shot if the second shot is more than 3 months.

steamboats

yes , I did receive the letter today   - i find it quite normal 

my booster was end of September  21  ,  i hope no cruise company will add additional months or conditions after the booster  as a 4th vaccine seems only possible in Israel . 

4 hours ago, vistaman said:

my booster was end of September  21  ,  i hope no cruise company will add additional months or conditions after the booster  as a 4th vaccine seems only possible in Israel . 

So far there´s no regulation in Germany regarding the validity of the vaccination. EU has decided that it´s only valid for 270 days but the countries have to transfer it into their laws.

TUI Cruises just followed up requiring the booster when your second shot is more than 3 months ago.

steamboats

15 hours ago, steamboats said:

BTW, by mid February all guests have to have their booster shot if the second shot is more than 3 months.

steamboats

That makes theoretical reflex sense, considering "effectiveness" of Moderna and Pfizer against Omicron infection  (at least based on antibody levels alone ) declines to around 30% by week 10.

However, I'm seeing medical reports that infection risk with Omicron in the vaxxed and boosted exposed to a known Covid setting is coming in at 28%, whereas totally unvaxxed are at 32% (very different from the original strain, and even from Delta) -- not much good to help prevent pax from getting infected and then quarantined and having an expensive vacation turn into a room service box. The difference is only in the moribidity and hospitalization rate.  

DH and I now know multiple vaxxed and boosted people (not just professionally, either), including his sister, and several friends,  who have tested positive (mild symptoms only) allegedly without engaging in irresponsible behavior.  On CC, there are also multiple reports of vaxxed and boosted people who claim to be "careful" getting Covid either at home or on a cruise.  Infected pax/crew on ships that transit U.S. rose from 150 to over 5000 for a two week period. Omicron is clearly way more infectious than its predecessors, though fortunately milder.

Has HL now gone to requiring masking anytime someone is out of their cabin "unless actively eating or drinking", which is the party line for luxury lines that cater to Americans right now?  In hot weather, masking while walking around, in the gym, and on excursions is very difficult for some of us who are older, and unlike on American-dominated lines, where I've seen official "rules"  are laxly enforced (especially when pax are distanced and outside), I suspect if HL set such a rule then just like on enforcement of all other rules, Germans would be all in to chase after fellow pax who violate. Lufthansa already requires N95 style masks, (the only type that can actually help a bit, at least against alpha and delta), so will HL require N95s?  If so, I will not be going to Ocean Sun (hot Canary Islands) as I would not be able to go anywhere without feeling suffocated.

10 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

That makes theoretical reflex sense, considering "effectiveness" of Moderna and Pfizer against Omicron infection  (at least based on antibody levels alone ) declines to around 30% by week 10.

However, I'm seeing medical reports that infection risk with Omicron in the vaxxed and boosted exposed to a known Covid setting is coming in at 28%, whereas totally unvaxxed are at 32% (very different from the original strain, and even from Delta) -- not much good to help prevent pax from getting infected and then quarantined and having an expensive vacation turn into a room service box. The difference is only in the moribidity and hospitalization rate.  

DH and I now know multiple vaxxed and boosted people (not just professionally, either), including his sister, and several friends,  who have tested positive (mild symptoms only) allegedly without engaging in irresponsible behavior.  On CC, there are also multiple reports of vaxxed and boosted people who claim to be "careful" getting Covid either at home or on a cruise.  Infected pax/crew on ships that transit U.S. rose from 150 to over 5000 for a two week period. Omicron is clearly way more infectious than its predecessors, though fortunately milder.

Has HL now gone to requiring masking anytime someone is out of their cabin "unless actively eating or drinking", which is the party line for luxury lines that cater to Americans right now?  In hot weather, masking while walking around, in the gym, and on excursions is very difficult for some of us who are older, and unlike on American-dominated lines, where I've seen official "rules"  are laxly enforced (especially when pax are distanced and outside), I suspect if HL set such a rule then just like on enforcement of all other rules, Germans would be all in to chase after fellow pax who violate. Lufthansa already requires N95 style masks, (the only type that can actually help a bit, at least against alpha and delta), so will HL require N95s?  If so, I will not be going to Ocean Sun (hot Canary Islands) as I would not be able to go anywhere without feeling suffocated.

The percentage of infections amongst the vaccinated and the unvaccinated has to be set into correlation with the absolut number of vaccinated and unvaccinated.

As for wearing masks... here in Bavaria I´m wearing FFP2/N95 masks since October 2020 when they became mandatory here. There were a couple of weeks during summer when they weren´t mandatory (but surgiacal masks) but I never switched back. I´ve been to the Canary islands for three times - HL, nicko cruises, Sea Cloud Cruises - and always had my FFP2 masks. You always had to wear them inside when not drinking or eating. You always had to wear masks on tour busses. You had to wear them on land when the local laws required them (like currently in Spain). No big deal for me... I have to wear masks at home when shopping, in public transportation, in my office (as soon as I leave my room or am together with other people). Even my 80 yo mom has no problem wearing them. Sure it´s not really fun but it´s not that bad either.

steamboats

I was on the Europa 2 in mid December 21 and HLC really does impose the guests to wear the masks - and very strictly !

I forgot it once when during breakfast in the YC I was going for a second glass of juice  and that was only 2 meters from my table ... 

Passengers do not have to wear it around the pool providing  the roof is open. 

I  even  put it on when the stewardess was entering my room to bring something . 

In Dubai Qatar Oman everybody does wear the masks on the street. 

Concerning the quality : I could not find any decline 

- the displays on the buffet are maybe smaller but the great choice is still the same: for sure   same amount of cold cuts , cheeses , fruits , and desserts for lunch and dinner  - still up to 12 cheeses for breakfast 😊aside of  6 juices  - and  oysters and lobsters for dinner !

- in the Tarragon   the steak tartare is not done in front of you what is quite understandable

- there is no service on the counters in the bars 

- in the Grill on YC  the cook is serving you the sauces and dressings same for the parmesan cheese on pasta's 

- you are welcomed in your suite and the stewardess is offering a glass of Champagne aside of the bottle in the ice however the pool party is still organised  - so no Champagne party in the Piano Bar after embarkation 

There was still no international hostess ( she was expected as from January 22 ) however the menu's were available in English - there were several Belgians  -  one couple pertinently did refuse to speak or even  understand one word in German. 

The team doing the service on board is becoming more and more international 

I must conclude the terrible virus did not infect the quality and high standards on board Europa 2.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

The percentage of infections amongst the vaccinated and the unvaccinated has to be set into correlation with the absolut number of vaccinated and unvaccinated.

As for wearing masks... here in Bavaria I´m wearing FFP2/N95 masks since October 2020 when they became mandatory here. There were a couple of weeks during summer when they weren´t mandatory (but surgiacal masks) but I never switched back. I´ve been to the Canary islands for three times - HL, nicko cruises, Sea Cloud Cruises - and always had my FFP2 masks. You always had to wear them inside when not drinking or eating. You always had to wear masks on tour busses. You had to wear them on land when the local laws required them (like currently in Spain). No big deal for me... I have to wear masks at home when shopping, in public transportation, in my office (as soon as I leave my room or am together with other people). Even my 80 yo mom has no problem wearing them. Sure it´s not really fun but it´s not that bad either.

steamboats

It's amazing how people who have no problem with masks continue to reply "it's not that bad", after hearing from other people who just got done reporting that they *do* have a problem.  

It reminds me of a former friend of mine who could not understand how some older people have trouble walking, with a lot of pain, when *she*, also older, has no trouble.  Her tune changed a bit when she developed lung disease from her chemo.

But how nice for you and your mom that "it's not that bad" for either of you!

I have been on three cruises since the restart, in warm weather, with increasingly accelerating and mask requirements,  of dubious value, especially when outside. It is not a coincidence that each cruise has been less enjoyable than the prior.

I do not have any health problems... I have been on 12 cruises since the pandemic started. I´ve never encountered an outdoor mask policy unless you can´t keep the needed distance. I do wear masks outside in "cramped" areas - even if I don´t have to. And I did wear a mask in Salamanca in the historic downtown area although the temp was 40°C/104°F - as you weren´t able to keep the needed social distance. Yes, it was hot and yes, we stopped time by time and looked for an area where we could keep the distance and put the masks down for a minute. But if you do not have any lung problems (asthma or anything else) wearing a mask shouldn´t be too much of a problem but more a nuisance.

I do want to travel and therefore I do have to live with the rules and accept them. HL never skipped the mask policy as it is mandatory on cruise ships here in Europe.

steamboats

• 4 months later...

Am finishing an MS Europa Ocean Sun Festival, Tenerife to Bilbao, 40% occupancy. 

I will write a full review and call attention to it when it is approved.  Overall I rate it 4/5.

1. Currently, masks (surgical or FFP equivalent) are officially required in buses and on public transportions (port rules).  On the ship, they are required in hallways, elevators, and at the buffet.  They are not required in dining rooms or lounges or entertainment halls (even if you do not have a symbolic drink at your side), or at the pool, gym, or when walking outside.  Yay!  However, too many people seem to take this to mean they should start crowding just like they probably did in the butcher shop or train station back home in 1978.

2. There are  distancing warnings for 1.5 meters all over (the daily review keeps heralding that it is *the* most important safety protection), and it is posted and on ports, buses but many Germans really do like to stand close and breathe down my neck (or even bump into my body directly), even when they have a juicy cough (and many do, but they are only doing dailying temperature tests, not mid-cruise Covid tests).  When in a line for a bus or security or a church on an excursion, and I stop to maintain 1.5 meters to the person in front of me when it is easy to do, whatever older German is behind me will typically just walk in front of me, and thus split the distance, and then another will go in front of him, and so on, until we are in line like closely placed bleeting sheep. Very strange, considering the Germans  are otherwise obsessive about rules. They seem to think that if no one is forcing them not to crowd, they will then just go ahead and unnecessarily crowd, their natural style.  The sitting arrangements at excursions were also oblivious to officially required distancing, e.g., at "Rick's" in Casablanca, a huge place, all 20 people were crammed into one tiny bar area, breathing all over each other, and on the bus to a special concert, every single row was filled (and you better not *dare* to move the seat back even 1 cm).  At a port winery tour, they crammed 38 of us together for an indoor tour (with the usual pushing in front behavior), and then at the end sat everyone down shoulder to shoulder to taste the port (I passed, since I still want to test negative to get back to the U.S.)

3.  Since they went to open seating in the MDR and Lido, which was just before Covid,  (not just in specialty restaurants), I am now presented with a bill listing my drink and costs and a line to sign for them (though I never have to pull out my room card).  There is also a prominently displayed "tip" line, as if they are expecting a tip at every meal.  I have not been sure what or how much to put there, e.g., when I just order 2,80 for water, or 280 for wine, but sit the same amount of time, especially since service is supposed to be inclusive.  Before Covid, with a regular waiter and helper team, I tipped nothing at meals, and they gave me nothing to sign, and then if they were good, at the end, I gave them an envelope with a generous tip even though it wasn't required.  The current practice implies tips are encouraged.

Vistaman, may I ask what is the expected practice now?

@Catlover54,

1. By May 19th HL dropped the mask mandate onboard.

2. I could say the same about Americans - I just returned from Hawai´i on Monday.

3. The tip line is common practice with many cruise lines. I don´t remember exactly whether HL had it before but they might have adopted the system from TUI Cruises which has the tip line (as well as RCI or X). I never fill in that line for a single drink or a glass of wine during dinner  especially when tips are included in the fare. I do give tips in cash to certain staff but I do not tip for every coke, water or whatever.

steamboats

7 hours ago, steamboats said:

@Catlover54,

1. By May 19th HL dropped the mask mandate onboard.

2. I could say the same about Americans - I just returned from Hawai´i on Monday.

3. The tip line is common practice with many cruise lines. I don´t remember exactly whether HL had it before but they might have adopted the system from TUI Cruises which has the tip line (as well as RCI or X). I never fill in that line for a single drink or a glass of wine during dinner  especially when tips are included in the fare. I do give tips in cash to certain staff but I do not tip for every coke, water or whatever.

steamboats

1.  If they dropped the on-board mask mandate for the areas I specified, they forgot to tell passengers on the Europa about it, because it was in the  instructions I received prior to boarding , and though that was on 5/15, I have seen some pax reminded to mask up since May 19.

2.  I am on a LUXURY cruise line (where Americans in my experience of dozens of cruises, pax  are generally are more polite, e.g., on SB, SS, and Regent,  and less pushy than when they are on RCI or X, , though there can always be exceptions (especially if Americans are from certain big cities back east where pushing is a lifestyle).  That is one of several reasons I like luxury lines (i.e., it's not just for the champagne and the space, it's the company).

Were you on a luxury line in Hawaii where you experienced Americans pushing forward? If so, shame on them.

3.  A tip line is actually not common practice on LUXURY lines in restaurants (though apparently now it is on HL), indeed I have not seen one.  Have you seen a tip line recently on an American luxury line? (SB, SS, Regent, Crystal -- though the latter only goes back to January)

I do think I remember HL  did not have one on Europa before except in the specialty restaurants.

Your idea that the line is now TUI-fied may be correct (in more ways than one). 

Your guidance on what to tip (i.e., typically nothing) is useful, however,  thank you (and I now know I have thus certainly been overtipping, while worrying about undertipping, which might explain why the staff seem to like me so much) 🙂.  And yet the TIP line is very much in my face at lunches and dinners, and it creates some dysphoria, even when I know staff are well-paid.

@Catlover54 there was a press relase on May 19th about the drop of the mask mandate. No masks anymore inside or outside (and TUI Cruises had the same press release that day).

I assume that HL had to "adopt" the TUI Cruises computer system which includes the tip line (and with TUI Cruises tips are included too).

steamboats

mrs catlover54  -   I was 3 times on HLC since December 2021 and looking forward to a 4th in 2 weeks 

I think on the Europa 2 the team on board does know me better as on the ms Europa .

On the Europa 2 I only did receive a bill to sign in the speciality restaurants and on the Europa in all the restaurants. 

I remember when the ms Europa 2 was launched  there was a line on the bill with "tip"  - I never wrote something down but I do give gratuities  and i do add a banknote for a better wine when that wine is served decently

On the Europa there were many new faces from various countries  even Tunisia and Kirgisia  - 

HLC should add the country on the name label worn on the jackets -  as previously done by defunct Crystal  

I find the Europa restaurant more gastronomical as the Weltmeere on Europa 2 - and the Yacht Club is better as the Lido ...

Many items are imposed by TUI  - like a general manager and a hotel manager  - it is nice to see people are promoted  the maitre d' on the 2 is now hotel manager on the Europa to give a example

What i do not like is the request by HLC of a antigen test within 24 hours : i do not mind to undergo tests but i always stay overnight before a cruise and i always take a PCR before leaving  Belgium- you never know  -  those tests are becoming a real industry   - antigen test costs 3 € but labo is asking 30 € to put in on paper  

in my hometown a labo is closed for fraude - 109 € for a fast test and the test not executed it seemed  

so now when in Hamburg I must try to find a place for a antigen or going back to the airport ....

HLC should provide it for the international guests  : was done in Dubai last year  

Thank you, Vistaman, for your insights.  I like the idea of a nametag with country origin ( and a tag with bigger writing would also be nice, so I do not have to put distance glasses on and stare closely at a server’s chest to figure out her name, because they do not introduce themselves on HL) 🙂

I too detest the 24 hour antigen ( or 48 hour PCR) test, coming from US and liking an extra night or two before boarding. The last thing I want on my holiday is to hunt for an open test site in a city I am visiting briefly.  Due to my flight schedule combination this last cruise I landed up having to do a  Quick PCR 47 hours pre- cruise at FRA airport, before a flight to Spain, because otherwise it would not have worked out to be on time — 175 Euros!

But I also hate that US requires a test within 24 hours of boarding for me to come home — I am now in the boonies of Germany and have a flight home late afternoon Saturday but do not dare wait until arrival to do a test  in FRA when I arrive  — but where I am, there is flood damage,  so convenient centers are closed, and no one tests Friday evening.  So I have to  go to FRA the night before and pay for a hotel and test then or Saturday morning in a queue with crowds when already stressed about a 14 hour flight. 

Some people preorder online  self - testers with online monitors instead of seeking a test center ( the human monitors sit at home in India or Philipines when you call) .  But when solo , they are tricky to use as one has to either carry a computer or a tripod or something to steady the iphone so one can use the alternating camera views ( people watch online as you check your nose). But this depends on good internet on both ends on top of a steady hand,  and there are horror stories of missed flights and missed cruises and kits that have dried out reagents

These worries, along with other travel hassles , even if flying business intra-Europe ( which so often is a long and confusing boarding mess with horrible discomfort these days) are disincentives  for me to do too much

I wish you enjoyable voyages

Edited by Catlover54

@vistaman there should be lots of testing sites in Hamburg. For us an Antigen test is still free (and for those testing sites it´s been a good and big business).

My pharmacy on the other side of the street is still doing tests (although they limited the time frames for testing - currently 2 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon). For our recent trip to Hawai´i we did a test the day before we flew to Honolulu and the morning (8 am when they opened) on flight day. The second test was for the ship. Although by the time of check-in this test was more 72 hours old regarding the time change it was still within the 2 day limit (looking on the date of the test). We also did a proctored test in our hotel room in Honolulu using Testifly.de  but we didn´t show that certificate (this was just in case they said at check-in that our 2 days old is too old). With Testifly you use your own self test (you can check whether the brand is o.k. with them). You take photos with the app and a video while poking your nose and another photo 15 min later. It´s not live but "recorded" and uploaded. Funny thing... as they check the tests between 8 am/8 pm German time our certificate was dated with embarkation day (although we took the test a day before). The price was 9.90 Euro plus the price of the test kit (less than 2 Euro). It´s a bit tricky to place your cell phone so you plus the test kit are in the video while taking the test and some kind of tripod/stand comes in handy. Actually I have a selfie stick which double acts as a tripod. I had this on the table in the hotel room and kneeled on the floor to take the test.

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

@vistaman there should be lots of testing sites in Hamburg. For us an Antigen test is still free (and for those testing sites it´s been a good and big business).

My pharmacy on the other side of the street is still doing tests (although they limited the time frames for testing - currently 2 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours in the afternoon). For our recent trip to Hawai´i we did a test the day before we flew to Honolulu and the morning (8 am when they opened) on flight day. The second test was for the ship. Although by the time of check-in this test was more 72 hours old regarding the time change it was still within the 2 day limit (looking on the date of the test). We also did a proctored test in our hotel room in Honolulu using Testifly.de  but we didn´t show that certificate (this was just in case they said at check-in that our 2 days old is too old). With Testifly you use your own self test (you can check whether the brand is o.k. with them). You take photos with the app and a video while poking your nose and another photo 15 min later. It´s not live but "recorded" and uploaded. Funny thing... as they check the tests between 8 am/8 pm German time our certificate was dated with embarkation day (although we took the test a day before). The price was 9.90 Euro plus the price of the test kit (less than 2 Euro). It´s a bit tricky to place your cell phone so you plus the test kit are in the video while taking the test and some kind of tripod/stand comes in handy. Actually I have a selfie stick which double acts as a tripod. I had this on the table in the hotel room and kneeled on the floor to take the test.

steamboats

thank you -for sure I find some place in HH   and if not there is still the airport 

I have a condition that - in Belgium - was eligible to receive a 4th vaccin and they even do consider people like me to give a 5th in autumn 

last cruise : before leaving Belgium I took a PCR done in the labo (  location in central station ) of the University of Antwerp - 60€  - i want to be sure before departure  my decision 

then arriving in Tenerife on a saturday  : labo on airport  Norte  closed at 1 pm

so on a Sunday : everything is closed on a Sunday in non  tourist areas  - so back to the airport by taxi  twice some 20 € and a test 30 €  : so 70 € what easily could be done on board  

ok  if you pay for a HLC cruise you can survive 70 € for sure but the nervosity around it ...

have 3 more HLC  cruises this year    - one departure in Kuala Lumpur 

at the moment you must pass  a test within 24 hours after arrival what is in my case not matching the 24 hours of  my boarding on the Europa 2 so a second test probably 😝

however everything seems to be cheap overthere - I think the cheapest fare ever for a junior suite in a five starred hotel 😄