13 ships gone

caroltovt

I don't expect any of the Cunard ships to be included in the 13 ships Carnival is selling or "recycling".

I think we have a pretty good handle on 6 of those 13 ships. They are mentioned in the Cruise Critic article Carnival Corporation to Dispose of 13 Cruise Ships, Eyes Restart in Italy. Those 6 ships are

Costa Atlantica

Costa Mediterranea

Costa Victoria

Oceana

Pacific Aria

Pacific Dawn

I've been reading some of the speculation concerning the other 7 ships. An article from a few weeks ago on another travel website (which I might not be able to mention here) makes a case that these other 9 ships within the Carnival brands could be the most vulnerable. Please keep in mind this is only speculation at this point.

Carnival Fantasy

Carnival Elation

Carnival Inspiration

Costa neoRomantica

Maasdam

Veendam

Pacific Princess

Sun Princess

Sea Princess

• Like 1

Have a few million stashed in a bedroom safe?  You could pick up a bargain: Cruise ships for sale   The names have been photoshopped out but with a little research you can figure out which ones are to be unloaded.  

I don't know who is buying except perhaps China.  It makes financial sense to sell off older ships especially since it may take a while for bookings to return to their pre-covid levels.  As a ship ages the maintenance increases.  (QE2, though dearly loved,  had become a money pit for Carnival.)  It is unfortunate for those who may have wanted to take a final voyage on their favorite ship because now they won't have that opportunity.

And yes, the new ship is delayed.  The same report stated that 2022 newbuilds are pushed back to 2023.

7 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

Have a few million stashed in a bedroom safe?  You could pick up a bargain: Cruise ships for sale   The names have been photoshopped out but with a little research you can figure out which ones are to be unloaded.  

I don't know who is buying except perhaps China.  It makes financial sense to sell off older ships especially since it may take a while for bookings to return to their pre-covid levels.  As a ship ages the maintenance increases.  (QE2, though dearly loved,  had become a money pit for Carnival.)  It is unfortunate for those who may have wanted to take a final voyage on their favorite ship because now they won't have that opportunity.

And yes, the new ship is delayed.  The same report stated that 2022 new builds are pushed back to 2023.

It states in Carnival's statement that new build ships in 2022/23 will be delayed so expect Cunard's new build due in 2022 to be delayed until 2023.

13 hours ago, BlueRiband said:

I've taken a look at the ships listed on that "Cruise Ships for sale" website and I think I have been able to identify all of the larger ones. Of interest to this discussion is both the Maasdam (1993: $120 Million) and the Volendam (1999: Call for Price) appear to be listed for sale there. The Veendam (1996) is not listed that I can see. I haven't found other Carnival brand ships listed on that site yet.

Some news on Holland America ships that have been sold, from an article this morning in the Maritime Executive:

Holland America Sells Four Cruise Ships in Carnival's Downsizing

"The first two sister ships, the Maasdam and Veendam, will be delivered to their new owner in August 2020. While the details of the buyer were not announced, the ships have been sold as a pair."

"In the fall, the Rotterdam, built in 1997 and the Amsterdam, built in 2000, will also be delivered to what was described as another company. As with the other sister ships, these two are reported sold to one buyer."

16 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Rotterdam and Amsterdam have been sold to Fred. Olsen, presumably to replace the nearly 50 year old ex-Royal Viking twins.

Thanks. I see that now on Cruise Industry News about Fred. Olsen acquiring Amsterdam and Rotterdam. "The vessels will be renamed MS Bolette and MS Borealis".

Edited by bluemarble

• 1 month later...

Here's the list I'm seeing of the cruise ships Carnival has sold so far. This accounts for 17 of the total 18 ships that Carnival has said they were going to sell. The sale of the two Princess ships was confirmed yesterday.

Costa Atlantica

Costa Mediterranea

Costa Victoria

Costa neoRomantica

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Maasdam

Veendam

Oceana

Carnival Fantasy

Carnival Inspiration

Carnival Imagination