Slider doors on Viking balcony

knoxclone

3 minutes ago, just_dont said:

I agree it's personal preference, but we enjoyed having a window rather than a wall next to the sofa, enabling a less obstructed view from there.
To each his/her own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think it is amazing how much discussion and interest there is in this topic! I certainly have enjoyed the discussion. I was wondering why Viking designed the staterooms like this? Why do some rooms have doors and some have sliders? Is it a structural artifact - that they had to do this for the structure of the vessel?  The reason I ask, is that when you have choices someone is going to end up dissappointed that they did not get the other choice. So if it was up to me, I would make all the staterooms pretty much the same.

Attached is something I've prepared which you might find useful in the context of this discussion.  And .. no .. I didn't do it especially for this thread.  I did it a while ago.  This is an extract from two spreadsheets that cover the entire Viking fleet -- river, ocean, and expedition -- and capture the physical characteristics of Viking's various ship classes including the cabin class placement (Viking Ship Classes) and then the features/amenities of each cabin class presented side-by-side (Viking Ocean Cabin Class Features).  In the case of the latter, I've done a similar thing for all the other Viking ship classes; this was extracted from one tab of a much larger spreadsheet I keep thinking I should post to DropBox and add to my list of "Resources Available".

Viking Ship Classes.pdf Viking Ocean Cabin Class Features.pdf

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Attached is something I've prepared which you might find useful in the context of this discussion.  And .. no .. I didn't do it especially for this thread.  I did it a while ago.  This is an extract from two spreadsheets that cover the entire Viking fleet -- river, ocean, and expedition -- and capture the physical characteristics of Viking's various ship classes including the cabin class placement (Viking Ship Classes) and then the features/amenities of each cabin class presented side-by-side (Viking Ocean Cabin Class Features).  In the case of the latter, I've done a similar thing for all the other Viking ship classes; this was extracted from one tab of a much larger spreadsheet I keep thinking I should post to DropBox and add to my list of "Resources Available".

Viking Ship Classes.pdf 62.79 kB · 1 download Viking Ocean Cabin Class Features.pdf 50.31 kB · 2 downloads

Very nice!  I especially like the Ocean Cabin Class Features! Thank you!

I think it is amazing how much discussion and interest there is in this topic! I certainly have enjoyed the discussion. I was wondering why Viking designed the staterooms like this? Why do some rooms have doors and some have sliders? Is it a structural artifact - that they had to do this for the structure of the vessel?  The reason I ask, is that when you have choices someone is going to end up dissappointed that they did not get the other choice. So if it was up to me, I would make all the staterooms pretty much the same.
It is definitely a structural thing. It is related to the fact that PV cabins are 33% wider than V/DV, while PS are 50% wider than V/DV.
A pair of PS cabins span 3 V/DV cabins, but PV don't evenly align, such that periodic structural support structures sometimes fall more in the middle of a PV cabin, making a slider impossible.
There are pictures somewhere on the internet that show this alignment from outside, and it starts to make sense.

13 minutes ago, just_dont said:

It is definitely a structural thing. It is related to the fact that PV cabins are 33% wider than V/DV, while PS are 50% wider than V/DV.
A pair of PS cabins span 3 V/DV cabins, but PV don't evenly align, such that periodic structural support structures sometimes fall more in the middle of a PV cabin, making a slider impossible.
There are pictures somewhere on the internet that show this alignment from outside, and it starts to make sense.

Yes - you're reminding me of years ago when the company I worked for and recently retired from after 36 yrs was moving into a new building. We were all excited at the prospect of getting individual offices 10'x10'.  Prior to the moving day, we were given a chart to tell the movers how we wanted our furniture placed (during the days when one's office furniture went with you wherever you went). Assuming that I indeed had the full 10'x10'  area to work with, I sketched where I wanted my desk, filing cabinet, 5-drawer safe, etc. As it happened, the day of our big office move was the same weekend my husband and I were moving into a new house. We had some legal stuff to do that Monday so I missed the opportunity to work with the movers as they placed all the stuff in everybody's office.  Well.. when I arrived Tuesday morning, imagine my surprise when I learned that 10x10' was just a nominal number! There was a honking big column (don't know if it was structural or vent work or what) right by the door that had effectively blown my room layout to pieces.  And since I wasn't there the previous day, I was greeted by a huge pile of boxes I had to climb over and furniture placed willy-nilly (nearby office budz helped me fix it).  Thanks for bringing back the memories! 😀

4 hours ago, CharTrav said:

Viking Ship Classes.pdf 62.79 kB · 7 downloads Viking Ocean Cabin Class Features.pdf 50.31 kB · 8 downloads

Viking should hire you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aungrl said:

Viking should hire you!

you're not the first that's made that suggestion. but I'm just happy to share. and yes -- I did add the full version of the cabin class features spreadsheet to my DropBox .. here's the link -- https://www.dropbox.com/s/immbfiw70gi4bkd/Viking%20Cabin%20Classes.xlsx?dl=0.  No DropBox account required to download it.  I've included that link in the spreadsheet too, so just in case you corrupt the file or something (it's Microsoft Excel), you can easily download a new copy of it.  

9 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Without having access to the plans, it is not possible to determine if the door/slider options are structural. However, with the current materials available, I have no doubt that the Naval Architects could design them with all sliders or all doors.

The cabins are also built offsite by outside contactors and delivered to the ship fully built. Once lifted onto the correct deck, they are manoeuvred into position and connected to the ship's systems.