Slider doors on Viking balcony

knoxclone

Hope someone can help me - I know that in the past someone posted a very handy breakdown on which cabins had a fixed door vs. a slider.  I've been unsuccessful in using the search function to find it.  Any assistance appreciated!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

Hope someone can help me - I know that in the past someone posted a very handy breakdown on which cabins had a fixed door vs. a slider.  I've been unsuccessful in using the search function to find it.  Any assistance appreciated!

Yes - here is the file that shows which PV rooms have sliders.

Viking Ocean - PV Rooms with Sliders.pdf

• Like 1

We plan to go on Venus in 2022 and they gave us PV room 6076.  It does not appear on your spreadsheet.  I asked our TA and she said Viking assured her it was a slider.

So it begs the question:

• Is the spreadsheet wrong?
  • Is the TA and/or Viking wrong?
  • Are the ships different?
  • Venus being the latest, have they changed things for her?

Anybody have anything to add?

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

We plan to go on Venus in 2022 and they gave us PV room 6076.  It does not appear on your spreadsheet.  I asked our TA and she said Viking assured her it was a slider.

So it begs the question:

The only thing that comes to mind is will you not go if it is a slider?  We have 248 days in a DV with a slider and we managed....😎

Just now, Jim Avery said:

The only thing that comes to mind is will you not go if it is a slider?  We have 248 days in a DV with a slider and we managed....😎

Funny!  248 days - how were the legs once you got to dry land and did you have difficulty cooking for yourself once you got back.

We are going and with from what I can see the best risk free guarantee of all the major lines.

It will be our first time on Viking and definitely looking forward to it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zalusky said:

So it begs the question:

We've had the door twice and slider once, and we definitely preferred the slider.  The door was very difficult to open, especially on a windy day.  

Edited by moatenote
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, moatenote said:

The door was very difficult to open, especially on a windy day.  

Agree about the door.  On the other hand, the view of the outside from the bed might be better.  We've been in both types of room and the earlier attached list is the same one a Viking rep showed us.  If the Venus is the identical construction, you might want to double check with your TA.  Or better still, call Viking direct and ask.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zalusky said:

So it begs the question:

Zalusky -

The Venus has the same layout as all other Viking Ocean Ships as far as room numbers.

The reason 6076 does not appear on the spreadsheet is that it does not have a slider, it has a door.

The PDF file ONLY shows rooms with sliders.

As for which is better, that is totally personal taste.  You can read postings of those who like sliders better and why, as well as those who like doors better and why.  You will have to judge for yourselves.

If your agent feels that this information is incorrect, and that 6076 does have a slider, I suggest you contact Viking directly regarding your concern.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, noe4laj said:

We’ve had a door and a slider in PV. Hated the slider.

I would be interested to learn why you didn't like it - and what cruise. We are booked for a 2021 Northern Lights cruise, and like the idea of a bigger single view.

Edited by What was that?
clarity
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mitina said:

Agree about the door.  On the other hand, the view of the outside from the bed might be better.  We've been in both types of room and the earlier attached list is the same one a Viking rep showed us.  If the Venus is the identical construction, you might want to double check with your TA.  Or better still, call Viking direct and ask.  

For specific questions like this, Viking Social - TellUs@VikingCruises.com - is much more reliable.

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

I would be interested to learn why you didn't like it - and what cruise. We are booked for a 2021 Northern Lights cruise, and like the idea of a bigger single view.

South America & the Chilean Fjords on the Jupiter.

We accepted the slider because it was the last port side PV1 on our desired floor. We were assured it was just as good as the door but that wasn’t our experience at all.

The main issue was that despite being a single pane of glass, the positioning of the sofa AND particularly how far the curtains opened, obstructed a great deal of the view. On our AUS/NZ on the Orion, we liked being able to sit and watch from inside when we wanted. You had to go outside for a full picture and parts of SA were pretty brisk. 

For secondary issues, slider frequently stuck, often needed two hands to open/close, and the latch to lock was finicky. I like always having one hand on my camera gear going in/out of the room, especially in SA where we quite often had rougher seas.

HTH!

4 minutes ago, noe4laj said:

We accepted the slider because it was the last port side PV1 on our desired floor. We were assured it was just as good as the door but that wasn’t our experience at all.

The main issue was that despite being a single pane of glass, the positioning of the sofa AND particularly how far the curtains opened, obstructed a great deal of the view. On our AUS/NZ on the Orion, we liked being able to sit and watch from inside when we wanted. You had to go outside for a full picture and parts of SA were pretty brisk. 
For secondary issues, slider frequently stuck, often needed two hands to open/close, and the latch to lock was finicky.

Hmmm... I see what you mean about the view from the couch - we will bring something to tie back the drapes, and a hefty Command Hook!

As for the operation of the slider, that sounds like a problem with a particular cabin, or cabins. I will immediately check that on board and put in a maintenance request if it is not easily managed by DW.

3 hours ago, What was that? said:

Hmmm... I see what you mean about the view from the couch - we will bring something to tie back the drapes, and a hefty Command Hook!

As for the operation of the slider, that sounds like a problem with a particular cabin, or cabins. I will immediately check that on board and put in a maintenance request if it is not easily managed by DW.

We were on that same South America Jupiter cruise as noe4laj.  

It must be the specific room as we had a slider that worked quite well and smoothly.  We rather enjoyed having the slider and would pick it again.   Good idea to see maintenance if you have a problem though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, deec said:

Do you think port or starboard made a difference on that cruise?

Hi Dee - we had starboard side from Valp to Buenos Aries.  Some said the port was better.  For us it did not make a difference, as we spent most of the time up on deck for all the view of the Fjords, arriving at the Glaciers, and coming into ports.   In the various narrow channels, either side was fine, and there was one time we sat on the balcony for quite awhile watching the sharp rising "mountains" of the fjords silently going by seemingly 50 yards from us!

On 7/20/2020 at 1:57 PM, noe4laj said:

For secondary issues, slider frequently stuck, often needed two hands to open/close, and the latch to lock was finicky. I like always having one hand on my camera gear going in/out of the room, especially in SA where we quite often had rougher seas.

We noted a similar issue on boarding the Sun, especially when underway. Mentioned it to the cabin steward and within a couple of hours a shipwright/fitter appeared to make it good. After a little track lubrication we never had an issue for the remainder of the 4-months.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 7:35 AM, CCWineLover said:

Zalusky -

The Venus has the same layout as all other Viking Ocean Ships as far as room numbers.

The reason 6076 does not appear on the spreadsheet is that it does not have a slider, it has a door.

The PDF file ONLY shows rooms with sliders.

As for which is better, that is totally personal taste.  You can read postings of those who like sliders better and why, as well as those who like doors better and why.  You will have to judge for yourselves.

If your agent feels that this information is incorrect, and that 6076 does have a slider, I suggest you contact Viking directly regarding your concern.

Thanks - My TA found a better Viking rep and verified it was a hinged door.  We got them to switch us to 6078.

Now just have to wait and wait and wait.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:41 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes - here is the file that shows which PV rooms have sliders.

Viking Ocean - PV Rooms with Sliders.pdf 207.95 kB · 92 downloads

Thanks much! You're inspiring me to incorporate that info into a spreadsheet I've prepared that describes the major aspects of every Viking ship class - major physical characteristics including cabin classes. Haven't posted it to my DropBox General Viking Stuff folder but now I think perhaps I should. Sorry I didn't do it earlier!

On 7/19/2020 at 8:21 PM, moatenote said:

We've had the door twice and slider once, and we definitely preferred the slider.  The door was very difficult to open, especially on a windy day.  

We've had the door and specifically booked a slider for our next cruise.  The door was very hard to open.   I'm not a big person....wondered if I was going to get it open or if it was going to shove me to the floor, a time or two in the wind.   On other lines we've had difficulty with sliders, so I'm not sure if we will be happier with a slider or not.  BUT...in no way did a hard to open door dampen our love for our room.  

Right now you could give us the worst door onboard and it wouldn't matter....we are desperate. We just want back onboard.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

We've had the door and specifically booked a slider for our next cruise.  The door was very hard to open.   I'm not a big person....wondered if I was going to get it open or if it was going to shove me to the floor, a time or two in the wind.   On other lines we've had difficulty with sliders, so I'm not sure if we will be happier with a slider or not.  BUT...in no way did a hard to open door dampen our love for our room.  

Right now you could give us the worst door onboard and it wouldn't matter....we are desperate. We just want back onboard.  

I remember fighting with the wind generated pressure differential in our PV.  Learned to use the heavy waste basket at the end of the desk (is it heavy for a reason??) to keep the curtain on the inside of the door from being sucked outside making the door closing operation even more difficult. I don't recall difficulties opening the door (trying to remember if it opened in or out but think in would make sense) but getting it closed afterwards -- especially if the curtain was billowing around the door -- could be a bit of a trial.  Just had to be sure to secure the curtain behind the wastebasket first. 

And yes -- agree -- the kind of door at this point is immaterial.😉

Edited by CharTrav

FYI -- cuz I'm strange this way (😉), I made a print out of the ship cabin diagram big enough that I could read the cabin numbers and marked off which cabins have sliders .. in order to detect a pattern.  And there is one. Consistently, a PV cabin next to another major class (e.g DV) or the Bridge (6th deck) has a slider; everything in between is then done in alternating pairs. So if you're trying to predict if you have a slider or swinging door, you may use that as a rule of thumb.  When we booked our first VO cruise (Jan 2015) .. we had no idea some PVs had sliders and others had swinging doors.  Never even thought to ask .. just wanted something towards the front and 5013 was available. We just assumed (duh!) because our cabin had a swinging door .. that was the standard configuration!  And .. because we like it .. we've stuck with that cabin so never been disabused of that notion! Learn something new every day!😀

Edited by CharTrav