Operation restart

WorldTraveler151208

I am very disappointed with the recent MSC decision to further extend the lockdown until August 15th. After the first German cruise lines finally dared to make the decision to sail again (Congratulations on the courage TUI Kreuzfarten and AIDA), I was hoping that MSC would start at least with some short cruises in Italy too. Seeing how great are the interest for the 3-day "cruises to nowhere" on Mein Schiff 1 and 2, I assume that many people would also go on similar cruises with MSC.

Does anyone know what prompted MSC to make this decision? Did the company not get an approval from the Italian government or is it their own decision?

Do you think MSC will finally start after August 15th? I really count on it. As for me, they do not even have to go to other countries, because they can create great cruises only around Italy, or even cruises without any ports like Germans did.

This is what MSC SAY, looks like waiting final approval 

Please note that at the present time we are in the very final stages of review by the relevant authorities of our new health and safety operating protocol which will be deployed to our ships to support their return to operations, initially in the Mediterranean and as currently planned, from 16 August onwards for some markets.

As a reminder, our new health and safety operating protocol has been designed on regional and national guidelines set forth amongst other by the EU Healthy Gateways, the European Union-funded Joint Action, and will also align with those issued by the European Maritime Safety Agency, EMSA. At the present time, we are waiting for final approval from the national authorities from the countries that our ships plan to visit along their East and West Mediterranean itineraries from the second half of August onwards.

I decided to just park the idea of a Med cruise in October this year.  My girl and me had an Easter Costa cruise with Easyjet flights cancelled back in April, so we were hoping to do a Halloween cruise with MSC during October half term.  Shifting the old Easyjet flight booking to October.

But I just don't think it's going to happen and if it does, there won't be ports - we tend to sail for itinerary rather than for sea days.

After a few tweaks to the flights, we're doing a two stopper in Rome and Naples instead.

But I guess never say never but I think the earliest I can see a 7 day Med cruise is October - if it's earlier I may hop back over.  

There are countries in the world who have already put down all these limitations and started to live a normal life. Seriously, like what are they afraid of? Are they afraid, that people (sick people) form place will comea cruiser to another country and start a pandemic? I said it many times before in the previous posts - there are whole coutnries who live of this business and currently they are getting poorer and poorer which may result in some social flactuations in a very near time 

MSC can only begin cruises when the powers that be say they can, parts of Barcelona Spain have gone back into Lockdown which will likely slow down decisions to give the go ahead. Those from the USA and UK are currently stopped from cruising in Europe as will be many other Nationals, why do some people seem to think that cruising when it begins will be just how it was!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

there are whole coutnries who live of this business and currently they are getting poorer and poorer which may result in some social flactuations in a very near time 

That's one thing, but also for the people on board, a cruise is not a more dangerous form of vacation than a vacation in a hotel on land. At the end of June, I was in Italy for a few days.  My hotel was full, there was a normal breakfast and lunch buffet, all people were using the pool and sauna, most of the guest did not pay much attention to wearing masks in the hotel. And yet this is a safe vacation and a cruise is not? Especially now, when the cruise lines will only sell 60-70% of the cabins, the crew will be well prepared, there will be masks, temperature scanners, etc.?

I understand that some people may be afraid of it after the incidents on Diamond Princess and Grand Princess, but now they have more experience and better preventive measures and as I said the risk on land is the same.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

That's one thing, but also for the people on board, a cruise is not a more dangerous form of vacation than a vacation in a hotel on land. At the end of June, I was in Italy for a few days.  My hotel was full, there was a normal breakfast and lunch buffet, all people were using the pool and sauna, most of the guest did not pay much attention to wearing masks in the hotel. And yet this is a safe vacation and a cruise is not? Especially now, when the cruise lines will only sell 60-70% of the cabins, the crew will be well prepared, there will be masks, temperature scanners, etc.?

I understand that some people may be afraid of it after the incidents on Diamond Princess and Grand Princess, but now they have more experience and better preventive measures and as I said the risk on land is the same.

The authorities are not permitting ships to sail or dock but are permitting land holidays, that's the difference and hence why there are no cruises and MSC have to extend the date. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

Does anyone know what prompted MSC to make this decision? Did the company not get an approval from the Italian government or is it their own decision?

Do you think MSC will finally start after August 15th? I really count on it. As for me, they do not even have to go to other countries, because they can create great cruises only around Italy, or even cruises without any ports like Germans did.

I would guess it is differences between the Italian and German government decisions and requirements.  TUI and AIDA are starting cruises from Germany, whereas MSC wants to start from Italy.

• Like 1

I have booked the Cruise with Mein Schiff 1 from Kiel the 3. Of August. I Can not wait more to Go cruising.

I am not afraid to Go on a cruiseship. I Think MSC could have done the same in Nothern Europe as the german cruiseships now do. I thing We Will Be the only not germans, but I Don t Care. If MSC Can t start cruising We have to try a new cruisecompany. But I miss the MSC cruiseships.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Preziosa said:

I have booked the Cruise with Mein Schiff 1 from Kiel the 3. Of August. I Can not wait more to Go cruising.

I am not afraid to Go on a cruiseship. I Think MSC could have done the same in Nothern Europe as the german cruiseships now do. I thing We Will Be the only not germans, but I Don t Care. If MSC Can t start cruising We have to try a new cruisecompany. But I miss the MSC cruiseships.

Where is the cruises going and what sort of safety protocols are there , like mask wearing etc?

1 hour ago, Preziosa said:

I also booked a TUI cruise on July 24 on Mein Schiff 2 from Hamburg. I think we'll be the only non-Germans on board too, but I speak German so we’ll be fine. I am also looking forward to these holidays. Before the virus, I would rather not even think about this cruise line, because there is a stereotype that only Germans go there, but in this situation we will give them a chance.

4 minutes ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

I also booked a TUI cruise on July 24 on Mein Schiff 2 from Hamburg. I think we'll be the only non-Germans on board too, but I speak German so we’ll be fine. I am also looking forward to these holidays. Before the virus, I would rather not even think about this cruise line, because there is a stereotype that only Germans go there, but in this situation we will give them a chance.

Have you given any thought to what you will do if you are turned away for not being a German National ?

The Cruise is a 4 Night Cruise from Kiel to Oslo. After 2 hours for a technical stop the trip goes back to Kiel. It is a Nice Cruise in the oceans around Denmark. Going under the

Greatbelt Bridge and the wonderful sailing in the Fjord to Oslo. It is so beautyfull in Norway. 24 hours before sailing We have to fil out a formula about feeling any kind of sicknes. We have not heard anything about mask. We have a time where We Can check in and We have to Be there on that time. We Can not just arrive and hope to make and earlyer check in.

13 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Where is the cruises going and what sort of safety protocols are there , like mask wearing etc?

Tui offers a short 3 days cruises from Hamburg or Kiel “to nowhere“, just to spend some time on the ship.  There is a technical stop in Norway, but you can't get off there. From August, there will also be 7 days panoramic cruises to the fjords in Norway, however without getting off in any port as well.

There will be no more than 60% of the full passanger capacity on board, only cabins with balconies are beeing sold. As far as I know you will have to wear masks inside, except for restaurants.There will of course be health questionnaires at the check-in, and if necessary they will even  perform PRC tests at the terminal before allowing you to get on board. This is what I know about this cruises at the moment

couple of questions. how long will it take to get all the crew back on board ships and will they be tested before or when on board---how long before everybody clear.

Also the new crew contract/agreement seems rather off -putting .Saw it on youtube,  guy called theshiplife.

1 hour ago, WorldTraveler151208 said:

If for sone reason the crew refuses you to board the ship, they are obliged to return 100% of the price. But if there's any suspicion, they'll test you, and only when the test is positive, they won't let you on board.

My understanding was that only German Nationals would be allowed onboard these TUI ships same as Aida.